2014 Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up my 2014 Ram EcoDiesel back in June. I've got 17,000+ miles on it, and did my Oil Analysis on my most recent oil change, which is the 2nd oil change on the truck. I did just slightly over 10,000mi on this oil change.

I'm using the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L oil, and here is the report:
JxbjCGu.jpg

Thought ya'll might be interested to see the results. What do you think? I do plan on going 10,000mi again as suggested by Blackstone just to keep a good baseline on the truck. Eventually I would love to extend the interval slightly depending on the next couple of reports.

Also, if you're not familiar with the Ram 3.0L EcoDiesel 1500 Truck, here's a quick preview & walk-around of my truck:

Well, it does take little more for a diesel to settle down and get average wear numbers. One thing for certain, it really is brutal on the TBN. My VM 2.8L inline doesn't take TBN down that much. Your's should settle down over time. Same for iron levels. My VM 2.8L has lower iron numbers, but again, all settled down. I wouldn't be too concerned with the results you got, everything else looks pretty good. Watch the pattern over time. Blackstone comments are sound.

Yeah, I'm really not concerned at all. I see their baseline average from other samples of this motor are all low interval changes at 6,400 for an average. A lot of the folks on the Diesel 1500 Ram forum are all doing 6,000 changes. I don't think there are a lot of people doing full 10,000mi changes as recommended by Ram.

Recommendations are like most things, just a guideline. Each engine seems to determine when it likes to have oil changed on its own. I have had diesels all over the map regarding when they seemed to want to have oil changed compared to the OEM recommendations. Some barely would get close to the OEM recommendation before the oil was screaming for mercy. Others, over the OEM interval by healthy amount. Either way, your oil sample results still show the oil has not fallen all apart on you. Go with your gut on this one and enjoy!

VM Motori makes great engines. This 3.0 is going in a lot of new vehicles, I'm sure it will prove to be an excellent choice...

Tired Trucker - yeah, that's my plan. I'm going to do 10,000 on the current oil. If the next UOA shows a little better results I'll probably try extending it to 12-13K.

SteveSRT8 - That is why I felt comfortable going with this truck/engine combo!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Recommendations are like most things, just a guideline. Each engine seems to determine when it likes to have oil changed on its own. I have had diesels all over the map regarding when they seemed to want to have oil changed compared to the OEM recommendations. Some barely would get close to the OEM recommendation before the oil was screaming for mercy. Others, over the OEM interval by healthy amount. Either way, your oil sample results still show the oil has not fallen all apart on you. Go with your gut on this one and enjoy!

How does that work?
If 2 oils are certified for use in this engine then they should perform in a similar fashion,otherwise why certify an oil.
Oem's certify lubricants for that very reason,so they perform up to the manufacturers expectations or how exactly are they supposed to set intervals and guarantee engine performance and longevity.
Uncertified or "suitable for" suggestions don't cut it and I can understand if they somehow don't live up to an oem's set standards however if your saying an oem certified product won't perform as expected as far as oil change interval or whatever else then what's the point of getting certified.
I don't get it. If the oem guarantees their equipment and sets a standard then certifies the lube and the lube underperforms who exactly is at fault?
Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure some motors can be a little more harsh than others on oil due to tolerances and such - but I would think at bare minimum they should all be able to at least be OK through the oil change interval.

I'd also be curious for more info..

Originally Posted By: TSR6
SteveSRT8 - That is why I felt comfortable going with this truck/engine combo!

Great choice. We considered this powertrain before we bought our new Ram last month. But my Wife wanted a Hemi and we already have a 6.1 with over 100k miles that is a gem.

Great choice, I am looking forward to more of your comments on it...

Thanks for sharing, looks good for an engine far from being fully broken in.

Yes thanks for sharing. My wife likes the GC and we're considering it with the diesel. From what I've heard the VM diesel is a solid reliable engine. Keep us updated.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yes thanks for sharing. My wife likes the GC and we're considering it with the diesel. From what I've heard the VM diesel is a solid reliable engine. Keep us updated.

If they still have the Diesel in the Jeep within the next 2 years - assuming my truck goes well - we will also be looking at a GC.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If they still have the Diesel in the Jeep within the next 2 years - assuming my truck goes well - we will also be looking at a GC.
smile.gif

I hope so, my wife and I agree on a vehicle again, and I want a diesel. Hopefully they continue with it in the 2016 GC and she doesn't change her mind. LOL

It should be interesting to see if the 3.0L VM finds its way into the Wrangler. I'd pass on a 4 cyl the V6 would be tempting.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

How does that work?
If 2 oils are certified for use in this engine then they should perform in a similar fashion,otherwise why certify an oil.
Oem's certify lubricants for that very reason,so they perform up to the manufacturers expectations or how exactly are they supposed to set intervals and guarantee engine performance and longevity.
Uncertified or "suitable for" suggestions don't cut it and I can understand if they somehow don't live up to an oem's set standards however if your saying an oem certified product won't perform as expected as far as oil change interval or whatever else then what's the point of getting certified.
I don't get it. If the oem guarantees their equipment and sets a standard then certifies the lube and the lube underperforms who exactly is at fault?
Doesn't make sense to me.

It is one of those quirks in life that are somewhat unaccountable for. I have found over the years, that engines and oils are a lot like small caliber rifles and ammunition.

I can take two really well made, name brand rifles and feed them both the same quality name brand ammo. I will get different groupings. I can then take another quality name brand ammo and try it again, and get totally opposite results. Doesn't mean the rifles or the ammo are inferior. Only that based on minor variations, there is a difference in the result. I can even show the same thing when taking two models of the same rifle from the same manufacturer. Ask anyone that deals with firearms on more than a casual basis snd they can confirm this.

Delo 400LE 15w40 is certified and approved by Detroit for my 12.7 engine. But the result was that the oil was screaming for mercy, according to the UOA's, in short order. Whereas, the Schaeffer 15w40, not on the approved list, is doing quite nicely in the same engine for even longer OCI's. I had a similar situation between Rotella and Mystik in my previous Cummins ISX. The Rotella was really beaten up by my ISX, whereas the Mystik did a stellar job.

Let's take the 5.3L in my Chevy pickup. Many folks, using dexos approved oils, have experienced excessive oil consumption issues. Some attribute it to the AFM function of the engines or some other issue, and I doubt it is the result of poor oil quality. My 5.3L has been on a non-dexos 5w30 synthetic and it only "uses" about 8 oz of oil in 7000 miles. And of that, the PCV oil catch can I have on it has captures about 6 oz. The engine has really only "uses" 2 oz in 7000 miles and runs great. And UOA doesn't show that there is an issue using this non-dexos "approved" oil.

Then there is the 2.8L VM diesel in my Jeep Liberty. Using Mobil 1 0w40 as per the owner's manual recommendation, the results were not as good as using CJ-4 5w40 synthetic in it that I switched to. Better UOA's and the engine has not experienced some of the issues that others have seen, based on this model on forums elsewhere. Does that mean the Mobil 1 0w40 is an inferior oil or that the OEM was full of buffalo bagels? Hardly. It only shows what we experience in many parts of life... that some things don't play out quite as nicely as we think they should in real world conditions.

That is why I stated that OEM recommendations are guidelines. They are simply starting points to work from. In many situations, they are good and all that is needed. In some situations, not so much. No two engines are operated exactly the same or perfectly matched in every internal detail, etc.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Does Chrysler offer any of the 4 cyl diesels from Fiat in the US?

Or did GM?

Not sure? GM sold all stake in VM Motori, so I doubt it.

Or did GM?

The 2.8L is available in the Jeep Liberty. GM is supposed to offer the 2.8L in the Colorado/Canyon next year.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Or did GM?

The 2.8L is available in the Jeep Liberty. GM is supposed to offer the 2.8L in the Colorado/Canyon next year.

Ed

No joke? I didnt realize that was a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back