Fuel pump o-ring Motorcraft pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my fuel pump has finally gone south on the Ranger. So I just ordered one from the dealer and they had it within the hour. Anyway (besides the fact that they bent me on the price a bit) the new Motorcraft doesn't seem to include the mounting o-ring. Should I just reuse the old one, or should I try to get one?
Any thoughts? I may try to tackle it in the morning, or Sunday afternoon as the temps have been dropping here a bit.

Just the other Saturday, my heater hoses (dealer item only) started leaking, and the dealer was able to also have them in about 45 minutes, and was able to get back on the road the same day, but man, did I pay out the nose for those. You gotta pay extra for some things, but it's nice to have these parts so fast.

Napa should have those heater hoses in their brand, at least they do around here. They are the only brick and mortar store aside from the dealer that has them as direct replacements though.

I would probably replace the fuel pump gasket given it's 13 years old. As far as I can tell from the diagrams on Fordparts.com, it is sold separately from the module.

Yeah, its nice to have the parts fast if your installing them right away. I would never buy parts from the dealer when Rockauto has them for less.

As for the ring, if its in good shape, just re-use it.

How much was the pump?

Our Mercury Sable/Ford Taurus 2003 blew a fuel pump. Local shop 'saved" me $200 by installing an Airtex fuelpump. Works fine, but never reads higher than 3/4 fuel since the replacement. I learned that day to always go for OEM when possible. You paid more than Rockauto, you also got it quicker.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Napa should have those heater hoses in their brand, at least they do around here. They are the only brick and mortar store aside from the dealer that has them as direct replacements though.

Oreilys had one of the hoses, but not the one that was leaking. Other parts stores didn't have neither. I didn't try Napa though.

gCTsuK.jpg

nwDy18.jpg

The leak was at the union that splits to the heater control valve and pcv valve.

Rock Auto $95
Oreilly $149
Dealer $230

But went to add oil a few hours before a long trip and saw the leak. They got them in 45 minutes, and I was back on the road in a few hours. One of the hoses was the MF'er to attach.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Yeah, its nice to have the parts fast if your installing them right away. I would never buy parts from the dealer when Rockauto has them for less.

As for the ring, if its in good shape, just re-use it.

How much was the pump?

Unfortunately, I always break down on a weekend and need the stuff asap. Rock Auto is good for plan ahead type stuff. (Even though the pump gave me quite a warning- I theoretically could have ordered it a few weeks ago.)

Pump was 490 + tax (Like 530ish OTD)

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep, buy new O ring.

I'll try to get one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
Our Mercury Sable/Ford Taurus 2003 blew a fuel pump. Local shop 'saved" me $200 by installing an Airtex fuelpump. Works fine, but never reads higher than 3/4 fuel since the replacement. I learned that day to always go for OEM when possible. You paid more than Rockauto, you also got it quicker.

Yup.

Do not even attempt to reuse the O-ring. Those O-rings expand once they're exposed to fuel. If you try and reuse it, it won't fit properly and it will leak.

IIRC, they are about 12 bucks at NAPA.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
the new Motorcraft doesn't seem to include the mounting o-ring.

Yea, get a new mounting o-ring. You'll sleep better at night.
While I try to get OEM parts as much as possible, Ford always seems to not include some of the necessary parts. If you replace a fuel filter, they don't include the little clips that you need to have. I recently put on a Ford water pump that didn't include the necessary o-ring that all the aftermarket water pumps included. So when making a trip to the Ford parts department, always make a note of all the parts that are needed on the first trip.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Do not even attempt to reuse the O-ring. Those O-rings expand once they're exposed to fuel. If you try and reuse it, it won't fit properly and it will leak.

IIRC, they are about 12 bucks at NAPA.

I have re used dozens of tank o-rings over the years and never had an issue.

Oreilys had one of the hoses, but not the one that was leaking. Other parts stores didn't have neither. I didn't try Napa though.

The leak was at the union that splits to the heater control valve and pcv valve.

Rock Auto $95
Oreilly $149
Dealer $230

But went to add oil a few hours before a long trip and saw the leak. They got them in 45 minutes, and I was back on the road in a few hours. One of the hoses was the MF'er to attach.

I had to replace the other one without the valve about a year ago. Same scenario...went to check the oil and there was coolant EVERYWHERE. Made a huge mess. It was leaking from the t where the little hose splits off to the PCV valve.

My leak was manageable for the very short term (could still drive around town), and I thought about getting a Goodyear off Rockauto.com since it had tension clamps on the t, but I wanted to fix it now and the Napa across the street from where I worked had it in stock. Thankfully the one that went out on my truck was the easy to replace one...after leaving Napa I had 15 minutes before work to change the hose out and I got it done with about 5 minutes to spare.

Get a new o-ring. Ford stopped including them with the pumps a couple of years ago, but there was no definite cut-off date and since there are multiple vendors for pumps you cannot be sure. It seems everytime I take the time to sell a new o-ring, the pump comes with one and I get yelled at my the customer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Get a new o-ring. Ford stopped including them with the pumps a couple of years ago, but there was no definite cut-off date and since there are multiple vendors for pumps you cannot be sure. It seems everytime I take the time to sell a new o-ring, the pump comes with one and I get yelled at my the customer.

Fired up the 5.0 and took her for a long drive and picked one up today along with a new filter from a dealer 2.5 hours away.. (Long Story)

I had to replace the other one without the valve about a year ago. Same scenario...went to check the oil and there was coolant EVERYWHERE. Made a huge mess. It was leaking from the t where the little hose splits off to the PCV valve.

My leak was manageable for the very short term (could still drive around town), and I thought about getting a Goodyear off Rockauto.com since it had tension clamps on the t, but I wanted to fix it now and the Napa across the street from where I worked had it in stock. Thankfully the one that went out on my truck was the easy to replace one...after leaving Napa I had 15 minutes before work to change the hose out and I got it done with about 5 minutes to spare.

Yup, same scenario.. Have you changed the other one yet? Where it attaches to the pump is in one of the worst spots. I had some choice words.

Temps should be better tomorrow, so I hope to be back on the road in time for work on Monday.

A bit of a PITA, but up and running again. I was worried as I primed the key 5 or 6 times and didn't hear a darn thing... I made sure I plugged the pump in, and still no noise whatsoever. I went ahead and cranked, and it fired right up and ran. Drove it around a bit and all seems good.

Cu8ty9.jpg

WOY5Zv.jpg

zr0R4d.jpg

Yup, same scenario.. Have you changed the other one yet? Where it attaches to the pump is in one of the worst spots. I had some choice words.

Temps should be better tomorrow, so I hope to be back on the road in time for work on Monday.

The hose with the valve is still original on my truck (knock on wood), since as you found out, it's a pain to get off the pump.

Good to hear you got everything back together and all is well with the new fuel pump.

Good to hear you got everything back together and all is well with the new fuel pump.

Thanks.

Back in May of this year I lost my lower radiator hose at the same union where it tubes out to the bottom of the water pump.

That one is a major PITA as well. (Ended up having to remove the belt and tensioner to get my fingers in there)

Funny thing about the lower radiator hose is that I bought it exactly three years to the day earlier. I had bought an upper and lower hose along with the radiator due to a strange leak I sprung. Installed the radiator and upper hose, looked at how hard the lower one was and said "forget it!" I threw it in the cabinet, and it sat for three years.

On a side note, if you ever have to replace your upper rad hose, be sure to only get a Motorcraft. No other aftermarket one will fit due to the angle of the water outlet (as you can see in one of the pictures above), all aftermarket ones come down directly as if the water outlet is pointing straight up. (I guess older 3.0's were like that).

Oreilys lists both, but only one will work. I originally had them order the wrong one and had to eat the cost when it wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
The lower hose on mine is original. I was thinking of replacing it as PM a couple years ago, but one look at it shelved that idea.

I ran into the same thing on the upper hose. Dayco only lists the old part number for water necks that go straight up, which was used on trucks with the aluminum upper intake manifold. Ford went to the angled water neck when they went to the composite intake, and a lot of places just didn't update their catalogs.

I got a Gates with the correct bends a while back at an O'Reillys, and it fit okay, but not as well as OE. The next time I changed the coolant I decided to put the original hose back on. The Dayco catalog is just flat out wrong for 2002-2008 trucks. I got a Motorcraft off Rockauto when I changed the water neck. That one not only fit perfectly, but had new spring clamps attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back