Belt issue again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
A while back I had an issue with a v-belt that lost a chunk. Replaced it with a contitech belt. Probably have gone 25k on it, now I see this:

0BB912C4-0109-47EA-AF5D-A5872C9DD733_zpsvqhohu1g.jpg

43FE56EF-8FAC-4017-8462-3AF7713CCAE5_zpsandn8hmu.jpg

So one Kevlar belt seems to be coming off/out.

For full disclosure, I've never been able to get the alternator to sit straight - maybe OE belt size is too long? Perhaps I should find the next size down?

Regardless, should I leave this or cut it? I'll need to drive the car and won't be able to get to it for a while. Razor or scissors?

Thanks!

What is this in? Are you sure all the pulleys are good? I had a Daytona that would eat the power steering belt. I had a slight imperfection in it. Would slowly destroy the belt.

^ Yeah dodge 2.2s and 2.5s were notorious belt eaters. Something about a rubber bushing in the alternator bracket (?) that would deform and misalign everything.

It's a 91 bmw 318i with the 1.8L DOHC M42 engine. Rubs like a top but I can never get the alternator just right. Pulleys feel fine and spin well, checked them when I replaced the belts last time.

The alignment is slightly off. I've changed all the bushings and the bracket with no luck...

I'll have to look into a shorter belt so adjustment is easier.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It's a 91 bmw 318i with the 1.8L DOHC M42 engine. Rubs like a top but I can never get the alternator just right. Pulleys feel fine and spin well, checked them when I replaced the belts last time.

The alignment is slightly off. I've changed all the bushings and the bracket with no luck...

I'll have to look into a shorter belt so adjustment is easier.

An E30? (I am quite a fan of the E30!)

*My VIN started with WBAAB.
** WBAAB 5402G 9xxxxxx

I would try the shorter belt, JHZR2, as you suggested.. ANY play on the belt.. BMW does not like.

My memories are very faded of my E30 as it was.. 12 years ago! Wow. But I remember it to be the best car I ever had. Then I became poor. The E30 (in Delphin Grey with an M-Technic package, mind you.. not sure that I want to disclose more than that...) is one of my unicorns. I have several.

Your E46 has no belt issues?

I would cut it with sharp small scissors and put a small dot o crazy glue at the cut.
Should hold it till you get the time to replace it.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
What is this in? Are you sure all the pulleys are good? I had a Daytona that would eat the power steering belt. I had a slight imperfection in it. Would slowly destroy the belt.

+1 on the above comment! And don't necessarily expect to be able to find whatever slight imperfection there is either.

I remember you were trying to get that alternator aligned, what happened with that, bushing problem or something?
If you can get it straight i have a feeling that will be the end of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back