New duramax vs new Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this forum is capable of having an intelligent conversation without getting into a truck brand war like some forums would, so I won't bother to go to much into "just answer my question".

Asking in the mechanical forum because I'm simply asking about reliability (long term maintenance costs) between the two. Which one is likely to last longer as an overall vehicle, not just the engine, and why? I guess it's a little early to tell for the latest models, but I figured you guys may have an opinion already. Or just facts, those too.

In terms of longevity i am sure the Cummins would take the prize. It's a "real" diesel made for huge trucks, and will outlast the Ram it comes in.

The Dmax is the king of civility, though. Mine is very quiet and returns amazing mileage even when towing a huge 5th wheel setup we camp in...

I agree with steve that engine wise, the Cummins is probably more durable. From the tear downs I've seen though, the allison still seems like the best transmission in stock form, with ram's transmissions being the least reliable of the big 3, and their own in house made model being the least durable of the 4 offerings in HD trucks.

That's really all I have to contribute, hope it adds to the discussion
=)

Last edited:
why not the best of both,

buy old chevy and then install cummins with mount conversion :),

I looked at the entire package, and bought dmax,

if I looked at engine alone, Cummins any day.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In terms of longevity i am sure the Cummins would take the prize. It's a "real" diesel made for huge trucks, and will outlast the Ram it comes in.

That's the first thing Dodge fanboys toss out. The CTD is the only medium duty diesel on the light truck market. It is a valid point for their argument,but does it really matter? Just because the CTD may go 500K, doesn't mean the vast majority of the population will want to be driving the clapped out truck wrapped around it.

I have experience with a late model 5.9 CTD, a 6.7 CTD,as well as my current Duramax.

I won't be selling my Duramax for another CTD.

Comparing these 2 has to be difficult because maintenance plays such an important part in making them last. Some owners just don't take care of them. They never subject them to any real work and are surprised when the next service bill is a whopper. Others that do the maintenance and actually work their trucks have a much better experience.

My brother has a 10 year old Cummins powered Dodge and pulles a large heavy boat back and forth almost every week and has a long commute to work at 80 mph, did the maintenance and never had any problems. His friend had one just because it was "kool", never worked it, commuted only a few miles back and forth to work and was always in the shop for some minor thing or another. You'd get 2 very different answers about reliability from these two.

If I was in the market for a diesel truck it would be the Cummins any day! The Ram Truck of Today is not the Dodge Truck of years ago that other people complain about. I would take the Solid Front axle & rear coil link along with a 50 KSI frame over what the competition offers any day. If fact I just bought one. Its just the gas version which suits my needs just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

That's the first thing Dodge fanboys toss out. The CTD is the only medium duty diesel on the light truck market. It is a valid point for their argument,but does it really matter? Just because the CTD may go 500K, doesn't mean the vast majority of the population will want to be driving the clapped out truck wrapped around it.

I have experience with a late model 5.9 CTD, a 6.7 CTD,as well as my current Duramax.

Before you group me into your "fanboy" comment remember I have an 09 Dmax 2500 that I tow my camper with.

I also own a 14 Ram that is an awful sweet lil ride, too. You really should get out and drive one, and soon...

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
If I was in the market for a diesel truck it would be the Cummins any day! The Ram Truck of Today is not the Dodge Truck of years ago that other people complain about. I would take the Solid Front axle & rear coil link along with a 50 KSI frame over what the competition offers any day. If fact I just bought one. Its just the gas version which suits my needs just fine.

I thought only the 1/2 ton went coil? The 2500 has coil now too?

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

Before you group me into your "fanboy" comment remember I have an 09 Dmax 2500 that I tow my camper with.

I also own a 14 Ram that is an awful sweet lil ride, too. You really should get out and drive one, and soon...

My comment wasn't directed at you. I apologize if I offended you.

So sounds like either option is pretty much fine for someone not looking to keep a truck for 400,000 miles, in that neither one is really far superior?

For the average user (even light commercial or farm use), either one will do very well and probably outlive your willingness to put up with the aging truck around it.

Where the Dodge/Cummins would probably win is in *heavy* use. Time makes stuff like interior plastics and exterior trim fall apart, so it takes long hours of every-day use for the MILES to become the limiting factor. In that kind of hard use, the Cummins would probably win by a nose. Either chassis would fare about the same. Transmissions- the Allison used to have a clear advantage but the 46RFE (Ram HD) and Aisin (Ram Chassis Cab) are both its equal these days.

Ford not in contention? The new 6.7 seems to be doing fine also.

Around Lexington ky all the horse race guys are going chevy .Most guys I play cards with with say you don't want to be on the side of the road with a breakdown with several dumb horses . Cummins is good but the truck not so much and I play cards with a bunch of ford heavy truck plant in louisville who I will call friends that say every year the say we have fixed the motor . I could get a great deal on a ford and will not think about it so sad how bad the fords are cost me alot of money because the guys don't have any overtime money to Chase the second low and with no top
smile.gif

If I had $65k to spend on a truck.....there is only one choice: The 4D!!

That of course being a 4 Door Dually Denali Diesel.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If I had $65k to spend on a truck.....there is only one choice: The 4D!!

That of course being a 4 Door Dually Denali Diesel.
I second this. I wouldn't use 1/2 of the capability of the truck but they're awesome.

I don't know much about Diesel engines at this point, but for what it's worth...I always wanted a cummins, always heard good things about them.I was talking to a builder few weeks back about his new Dodge with a Cummins in it, asked how he liked it, he said " the Duramax I had last year pulls better than the Cummins!" I was flabbergasted!....so I guess it comes down to what you like, and works for you.

I personally still would like to have a Dodge with a Cummins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back