Specialty Spark Plugs for OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the Champion fine wire plug, which is valid but not necessary it seems, is there a need for "specialty" OPE spark plugs? The E3 plugs are expensive Chinese spark plugs compared to standard Champion and NGK plugs which for the last 40 years + have done fine in all sorts of OPE equipment I've owned.

Whimsey

I used an EZ start champ in my 3.5hp briggs and it ran nervous (likely over advanced combustion). I then found the original non-extended tip plug, and installing That, THE MACHINE ran "properly" again. Note that recessed tip plugs can even smooth out "nervous" or "buzzy" running 4 cylinder engines. Like the older Mazda 2.2, some Nissan trucks, etc .
- Part of my tune up magic bag of tricks I'm giving away here to you young'uns
smile.gif

^ cool, so you're changing the flame front as it makes its way through the cylinder.

I always look for the NGK platinum version for my power equipment.
My Honda lawn mower takes a NGK BP6ES which I replaced with their BP6EV which is the platinum version. Just a buck something more but needs less voltage to fire. The Champion EZ works well in my Briggs L Head generator. Othewise I'd be looking for an NGK for it

Specialty spark plugs are a marketing scam , Spark is spark ,The coil is what fires the mixture, all the plugs/wires do is deliver that package without losing it. No plug/wire can deliver a better spark than the coils can issue, and they either deliver reliably -or don't. One or the other, -either all the sparks are getting there or they aren't -there is no better or worse in quality of the actual arc.

The Champ EZ-Start made the 42 year old Tecumseh/Lauson on my snowblower easier to start than the regular Champ I yanked out of it. So that worked as advertised. It might not have the same effect on a modern OHV engine that it did on the old L-head Tec.

Last edited:
I have a NGK V-Power plug for the B&S engine on my Ariens snowblower. I haven't put it in yet. I used these plugs in my 1995 Civic that gave me over 45mpg.

Now, if we only get some real snow ...

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace

Now, if we only get some real snow ...

I've been shoveling snow for darn near 50 years. I finally break down and buy a snow blower and now no snow
smirk.gif
. Same with my generator I purchased 2 years ago. Got tired of losing power for extended periods on a regular basis. Haven't lost it for more than a minute since then. Maybe if I buy a gas lawn mower instead of using my manual"whimsey" powered reel mower I won't have to cut the grass anymore
grin.gif

Whimsey

I've found that the Champion EZ Starts are a benefit for all side valve OPE engines, in that they make them run a bit smoother.

The don't help at all in the OHV engines though, but a good NGK V-groove plug does help over the standard flat electrode and ground plugs.

No data to back any of this up, just my own observations with two mowers and two snow chuckers.

I use NGK commercial usage for 2 stroke, won't use no Champion plugs. Had defected Kohler(no oil filter) 4 stroke that ran very hot. The original Champion plug when new couldn't hold the heat. Used the NGK no problem has been in there with many hours. From my observation night and day comparison. Starts on the first pull.

I'm incline with the NGK it's a better overall plug.

For the nay sayers nothing wrong with Champion plugs I've used them many hours on non defected Kohler 4 stroke engines never had a problem. I've interchanged them with NGK they ran the same.

Last edited:
"Didn't E3 begin as a spark plug for OPE only?"

Yes, watching the car shows on Velocity and MadTV, I remember an E3 spokesperson saying they got their start in OPE.

I was very tempted to get an E3 plug for my snowblower, Mom's lawn mower, etc ... However, I was looking at the plugs in Home Depot (they had a surprisingly large selection) and careful examination showed poor quality control. Looking at the plug from underneath (imagine the plug is a woman and you are looking up her skirt) showed the center electrode and the 'open hoop' side electrode out of alignment (off-center).

At first, I thought that might be intentional ... part of the design. But looking at multiple plugs, they appeared to be all different. That really soured me on these plugs.

I looked at a few OPE specific plugs at Tractor Supply. Champion and NGK aside, they were all made in China, including E3's

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I looked at a few OPE specific plugs at Tractor Supply. Champion and NGK aside, they were all made in China, including E3's

And they usually are twice the price. Several years ago I bought a replacement plug for my Ryobi weed whacker without first removing the original plug. Went to Home Depot and bought a plug that said it was for my Ryobi and some other makes. It was made in China and cost nearly $6. Got home and pulled the original factory plug out. It was a common Champion plug that's $1.83 at WalMart
33.gif
. Live and learn
grin.gif
. It ran just ok, I bought a new Champion plug and it runs better now.

Whimsey

I use NGK plugs in all my small engines. You can keep all those ridiculous trick plugs. I'll stick with what works. I find that Champions tend to foul easily and quickly fall off performance-wise.

Specialty Spark plugs? Never heard of that. Just use what manufacture recommends and if you prefer a different brand than OE you can cross it. NGK is a very good plug IMHO.

I pulled the plug on my Tecumseh 8 HP snowblower and it broke.
I went to buy another Champion RJ19LM because the old one ran great for a long time. I noticed that Autolite had a replacement (DP 458) but when I saw that it was 'Made in China' I passed.

The Champion was 'Made in Mexico' so I figured that's better than the Autolite. I then noticed the Champion E-Z Start was 'Made in USA' so that's what I bought.

I'll know in the morning whether it's good or not as they are calling for 5" to 8" of snow in my area tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back