Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Johnson controls makes
Interstate
Autozone duralast
Oreilly superstart
Costcos kirkland
Walmarts everstart

Go with whoever is best with handling warranties

I would love to know if these are all "comparable" batteries.

We need a BITOG "mole" in Johnson Controls.

I bought a Motorcraft BXT24 for under a $100 with the Costco 15% parts discount at local Ford dealer. 36 month replacement then 64 month prorated.

Johnson controls makes
Interstate
Autozone duralast
Oreilly superstart
Costcos kirkland
Walmarts everstart

And each is manufactured to different standards and a different price point. Johnson Controls also owns Optima and PowerFrame, and they are completely different than any of the above (as are Varta, Heliar, and MAC batteries, all of which are owned by Johnson Controls). Trying to lump them all together and buying based upon warranty alone makes no sense.

Heh Heh, I finally popped the hood latch on the Camry. Right out front was a new looking green and white Interstate. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: totegoat
My Highlander came OE with a Panasonic battery. Lasted 10 years.

Built in Japan? Most if not all of the Mazda vehicles built in Japan have Panasonic batteries. The service replacements are from Johnson Controls. I have had customers have an almost nuclear meltdown at the counter because the replacement is not a Panasonic. They are not available to the dealers, all of the part numbers for them supersede to the JCI made versions. It is slightly entertaining.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: totegoat
My Highlander came OE with a Panasonic battery. Lasted 10 years.

Built in Japan? Most if not all of the Mazda vehicles built in Japan have Panasonic batteries. The service replacements are from Johnson Controls. I have had customers have an almost nuclear meltdown at the counter because the replacement is not a Panasonic. They are not available to the dealers, all of the part numbers for them supersede to the JCI made versions. It is slightly entertaining.

Nice! Unfortunately, people think that if they go to the dealer, they will get the exact same part that the car was built with. Not always true.

Seems like build parts can be better or worse.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Johnson controls makes
Interstate
Autozone duralast
Oreilly superstart
Costcos kirkland
Walmarts everstart

And each is manufactured to different standards and a different price point. Johnson Controls also owns Optima and PowerFrame, and they are completely different than any of the above (as are Varta, Heliar, and MAC batteries, all of which are owned by Johnson Controls). Trying to lump them all together and buying based upon warranty alone makes no sense.

On the contrary traditional wet cell batteries are very much alike internally (within same group size and power rating) and are produced on the same line and with exact same internal materials. They are not manufactured to different price points but instead are marketed and sold to gullible consumers at different price points. The primary differences in various brands are the colors of the plastic case and the label. Lumping them together and buying by best FULL replacement warranty is the smart move. Believing the marketing hype and [censored] prorated warranties is the sucker move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back