Time for Tires on the 70' Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well it's time for tires on the 70' VW Beetle. It's stock size is 165R15 (basically 165/80-15) but it came with 185/65-15's on it which is popular for these so it doesn't handle like a kite in the wind. I don't really see a purpose in pricey tires for it since it sees maybe 3,000 miles tops per year and they'll dry rot out before the tread even thinks of going down. On Tire Rack they have General Altimax RT (Non-RT43) tires on close out for $43 each in the 185/65-15 size which I'd like to keep that size. How bad can they be? I mean anything has to be better than the full tread, dry-rotted Primewells it has now. I swear these tires must be oval or something. The car sees 65 mph MAX, usually city miles but does see some highway.

For this application does it really matter which tires I get so long as they have a real name?

Thanks.

How's it handle presently? I read when they started putting radial tires on beetles they wandered and shimmied unless they had totally tight ball joints. I imagine more rubber would make the manual steering heavier.

How's this car stored, can you keep the UV off the rubber?

I would assume any cheap tires would benefit the car with their simple newness. I'd worry about hydroplaning with a light car and wide tire but again assume this is a fair weather cruiser.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
How's it handle presently? I read when they started putting radial tires on beetles they wandered and shimmied unless they had totally tight ball joints. I imagine more rubber would make the manual steering heavier.

How's this car stored, can you keep the UV off the rubber?

I would assume any cheap tires would benefit the car with their simple newness. I'd worry about hydroplaning with a light car and wide tire but again assume this is a fair weather cruiser.
The way I describe how it handles is like a go-kart, but it blows around on the highway in the wind or when a semi-truck passes by. No power steering isn't bad either, just takes 2 arms in a parking lot, and steers easily on the road or when moving a little faster than a snail's pace. It's stored outside in the sun unfortunately, the 2013 & 2004 Beetles have possession of the 2-car garage.

I've driven a few cars with Altimax tires and I liked them. Of course, pretty much anything will be a step up from those Primewells.

I presume it won't see much driving in wet conditions, eh?

I'd suspect anything round and black would work. I don't know anything about radial vs bias on this, but given its usage I'd think just about anything would work.

I wouldn't throw an expensive set of tires on it just to drive it 3K miles a year and have them rot before being used.

What about 155/80-15? Those are still available.
Tirerack

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I'd stick with the stock size.

I think that's the issue: stock size requires buying very expensive reproduction tires.

To fit modern tires would require changing sizes.

I've got the AltiMax RT43 on the Volvo XC. They're very nice tires: good ride, very good wet and dry grip. They would be fine for the Beetle.

I've driven one of that vintage, back when it was a used car, and back when you put bias-ply tires on them. The steering was direct, with good feedback, but it wasn't a great handling car, and it sure didn't like high speed or crosswind...

I would go with the 185/65-15 tires for the car. I am in the same boat with my A.C.V.W. Thing. I am going to put a new set of tires on next spring due to age/dry rot issue. For the miles the car will see, I doubt you would notice any difference. My Thing has the "newer" tires on it now and handles fine. Good luck with the car. Everyone should own one!

Originally Posted By: vwthingman
I would go with the 185/65-15 tires for the car. I am in the same boat with my A.C.V.W. Thing. I am going to put a new set of tires on next spring due to age/dry rot issue. For the miles the car will see, I doubt you would notice any difference. My Thing has the "newer" tires on it now and handles fine. Good luck with the car. Everyone should own one!
I know, air cooled VW's rule! What size does the Thing call for originally/what you use on it?

I had 185/70-15 on my Thing which happens to be pretty much the same overall diameter as 165/80-15 tires. 185/65-15 is almost and inch shorter than the 165/80's. This will increase revs at higher speeds and lower first gear a little (not always desirable in a bug since first gear is already pretty low to begin with).

Originally Posted By: GaryMX5
I had 185/70-15 on my Thing which happens to be pretty much the same overall diameter as 165/80-15 tires. 185/65-15 is almost and inch shorter than the 165/80's. This will increase revs at higher speeds and lower first gear a little (not always desirable in a bug since first gear is already pretty low to begin with).
I wish they still sold 185/70-15 tires. Tire Rack only has one in this size and it's almost $200 each. Discount tire sells none.

Look at Vredestein's S[print and Sprint Classic, they are offered in the sizes discussed here. I have a set on my TR and have run them on various older cars for years, in my experience they are a great tire for what they are. Classic looks w/ modern technology. Only concern is they do wear quickly, but that is not an issue w/ limited use and I'll take the tradeoff for grip.

Thanks for the help guys, got 5 new tires, 4 new General Altimax RT43 in 185/65-15's and a Nankang 165/80-15 for the spare (only brand they have in that size). All I can say is, WOW. The car has completely changed. With the old tires it was like driving a washing machine down the road, probably had flat spots all over them. These are so much quieter and smooth as silk. Got them during the Presidents Day Sale at Discount Tire. All 5 out the door for $260 (after the mail in rebates)

27yu26p.jpg

I'd be very interested in seeing some close-up photos of the Nankang. How's the construction look? Is it made in China?

One of our vehicles has a weird size and Nankang is one of the options.

Nankang is a Taiwanese company. It looks like they're distributed in the U.S. by Tireco, which distributes lots of no-name brands.

http://www.tireco.com/index

Sorry for the nighttime pictures.

I'd stay away from it for an on the road tire. This is just my spare and it should work good for a spare though.

It's really cheesy looking, Made in China.

33bq2oj.jpg

15yvr4p.jpg

23ivz2c.jpg

sls0w5.jpg

2lc09h.jpg

345c4l1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back