CZ 75 BD Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some pictures and notes about my new CZ 75 BD Police. As noted in another thread, this is the "BD" version of the CZ 75...the "B" indicating the firing pin Block, and the "D" denoting the Decocker instead of the thumb safety that most CZ 75s have. The Police model is a little different from the "regular" BDs, with serrations on the trigger, checkering on the front and back straps, a small loaded chamber post on the top of the slide, a reversible magazine catch, and a lanyard loop at the bottom of the main spring plunger.

And just a random observation: most CZ 75s apparently have a magazine brake in the form of a curved leaf spring in the grip that slides against the magazine, which holds an empty magazine from dropping free. The fix is to either buy a straight "spring", or bend your factory one straight. My magazines drop free, even when empty, so I'm not sure if this is a change that CZ made or another distinction of the Police model. None of them, to my knowledge, have a magazine disconnect safety.

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/79-pistols-cz/PST/CZ_75_BD_POLICE.aspx

IMG_20150104_151753868.jpg

As all current CZ handguns do, this came in a very nice plastic case.

IMG_20150104_151805793.jpg

They even thought enough of me to fill the 16 round magazines with some hardball at the factory!
smile.gif

IMG_20150104_151840003.jpg

You don't get a spent shell case with CZs...you get a digitized target of their 25m group of five rounds. This one shot what is generously a two-inch group at 25m. That's really one large hole with a flier at the lower left.

IMG_20150104_151947738.jpg

I love the lines of a CZ. Very reminiscent of a Browning Hi Power or even a 1911. Natural grip angle at the back, with a slight taper to the front of the gun. CZs have what appears to be a barrel bushing at the front of the slide, with the barrel just poking out the front.

IMG_20150104_152027817.jpg

Poor quality picture of the internals. I was trying to capture the sort of rough texture on the inside of the cast steel frame. CZ frames are cast in either steel (this one), aluminum alloy, or stainless steel. This has their black Polycoat finish, which is some sort of a polymerized baked enamel coating. It's treated for corrosion protection underneath, so even areas that are not polycoated are protected.

IMG_20150104_152205741.jpg

Just like with my P-09 that I sold to buy this, the feed ramp is beautifully polished. The whole barrel, really, is an artful piece. It has two locking lugs on the top of the barrel, similar to the 1911.

IMG_20150104_152231902.jpg

Here's the bottom of the slide, looking at the rear (you can see the firing pin block plunger at the bottom). The bottom of the feeding lug is polished smooth to prevent friction. The bottom of the slide rails are also polished smooth. Actually, I should say that they're machined smooth, rather than polished smooth. I will finish the job, I think, with some 1000 grit or some Flitz.

IMG_20150104_152259626.jpg

I love the "POLICE" on the side of the slide. I was looking at buying the regular BD, but knew that I'd regret later on not buying the one that says "POLICE". The BDs are fairly hard to come by as it is, and the "POLICE" ones are harder still (to find). So I just bought it new.

The only thing I wish this one had that some other CZ models has is their newer style extended beavertail.

Here's their old style beavertail:

cz-usa-cz-75-bd.png

And their new style extended beavertail:

cz-usa-cz-75-sp-011.png

I may have to adjust my grip just slightly on this one so the beavertail doesn't try to ride into the web of my hand during recoil. My P-09 had the newer style extended beavertail, and it was quite comfortable. Maybe my next CZ will have the newer one...
smile.gif

My first purchase for it is either an extended slide stop (see the difference in the SP-01's slide stop above compared with the one above it), or some nice wood grips. One with the factory CZ wood grips:

11811756145_cf182e62a2.jpg

I love it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Here are some pictures and notes about my new CZ 75 BD Police. As noted in another thread, this is the "BD" version of the CZ 75...the "B" indicating the firing pin Block, and the "D" denoting the Decocker instead of the thumb safety that most CZ 75s have. The Police model is a little different from the "regular" BDs, with serrations on the trigger, checkering on the front and back straps, a small loaded chamber post on the top of the slide, a reversible magazine catch, and a lanyard loop at the bottom of the main spring plunger.

And just a random observation: most CZ 75s apparently have a magazine brake in the form of a curved leaf spring in the grip that slides against the magazine, which holds an empty magazine from dropping free. The fix is to either buy a straight "spring", or bend your factory one straight. My magazines drop free, even when empty, so I'm not sure if this is a change that CZ made or another distinction of the Police model. None of them, to my knowledge, have a magazine disconnect safety.

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/79-pistols-cz/PST/CZ_75_BD_POLICE.aspx

IMG_20150104_151753868.jpg

As all current CZ handguns do, this came in a very nice plastic case.

IMG_20150104_151805793.jpg

They even thought enough of me to fill the 16 round magazines with some hardball at the factory!
smile.gif

IMG_20150104_151840003.jpg

You don't get a spent shell case with CZs...you get a digitized target of their 25m group of five rounds. This one shot what is generously a two-inch group at 25m. That's really one large hole with a flier at the lower left.

IMG_20150104_151947738.jpg

I love the lines of a CZ. Very reminiscent of a Browning Hi Power or even a 1911. Natural grip angle at the back, with a slight taper to the front of the gun. CZs have what appears to be a barrel bushing at the front of the slide, with the barrel just poking out the front.

IMG_20150104_152027817.jpg

Poor quality picture of the internals. I was trying to capture the sort of rough texture on the inside of the cast steel frame. CZ frames are cast in either steel (this one), aluminum alloy, or stainless steel. This has their black Polycoat finish, which is some sort of a polymerized baked enamel coating. It's treated for corrosion protection underneath, so even areas that are not polycoated are protected.

IMG_20150104_152205741.jpg

Just like with my P-09 that I sold to buy this, the feed ramp is beautifully polished. The whole barrel, really, is an artful piece. It has two locking lugs on the top of the barrel, similar to the 1911.

IMG_20150104_152231902.jpg

Here's the bottom of the slide, looking at the rear (you can see the firing pin block plunger at the bottom). The bottom of the feeding lug is polished smooth to prevent friction. The bottom of the slide rails are also polished smooth. Actually, I should say that they're machined smooth, rather than polished smooth. I will finish the job, I think, with some 1000 grit or some Flitz.

IMG_20150104_152259626.jpg

I love the "POLICE" on the side of the slide. I was looking at buying the regular BD, but knew that I'd regret later on not buying the one that says "POLICE". The BDs are fairly hard to come by as it is, and the "POLICE" ones are harder still (to find). So I just bought it new.

The only thing I wish this one had that some other CZ models has is their newer style extended beavertail.

Here's their old style beavertail:

cz-usa-cz-75-bd.png

And their new style extended beavertail:

cz-usa-cz-75-sp-011.png

I may have to adjust my grip just slightly on this one so the beavertail doesn't try to ride into the web of my hand during recoil. My P-09 had the newer style extended beavertail, and it was quite comfortable. Maybe my next CZ will have the newer one...
smile.gif

My first purchase for it is either an extended slide stop (see the difference in the SP-01's slide stop above compared with the one above it), or some nice wood grips. One with the factory CZ wood grips:

11811756145_cf182e62a2.jpg

I love it.
Aye! I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. Two stroke is a close second. Congrats!

smile.gif

Hummm, isn't it illegal to ship guns with ammo?

Nice looking firearm.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

smile.gif

Hummm, isn't it illegal to ship guns with ammo?

Nice looking firearm.
thumbsup2.gif

Thats what I thought too!

Definitely is a sleek looking gun. I fired a CZ-75 a number of years back and was impressed as to how smooth the action was.

REALLY nice! My BIL just bought a CZ-75B. I look forward to shooting it, and, especially, being able to shoot it side by side with my Hi Power and compare.

I'd love to own one myself one day. I will probably get the CZ-75 Compact model, so it can be a carry option for me.

I thought a CZ was going to be my next handgun, but I've become intrigued by a couple of other handguns as of late...namely the Dan Wesson 1911s!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
REALLY nice! My BIL just bought a CZ-75B. I look forward to shooting it, and, especially, being able to shoot it side by side with my Hi Power and compare.

I'd love to own one myself one day. I will probably get the CZ-75 Compact model, so it can be a carry option for me.

I thought a CZ was going to be my next handgun, but I've become intrigued by a couple of other handguns as of late...namely the Dan Wesson 1911s!

For what it is worth, Col. Jeff Cooper, the man who loved the 1911 45acp called the CZ75 the best combat 9mm handgun ever made and chose to base the Bren Ten pistol on that platform in 10mm.

I've gained an affinity for classic firearms lately. The CZ 75, while certainly not as aged as a 1911 or a Hi Power, is often called a "modern classic" and shares some of the same attributes of both of those firearms. I'd like to own a Hi Power some day, and I'll likely own a 1911 as well. All three of these guns have a classy look to them; I love the CZ's taper towards the front. Objectively, the newer SP-01 is an improvement in many ways, but it's got that big fat dust cover up front with the rail, and I'm just not a rail guy...at least on a handgun like this.

I *almost* bought the matte stainless version of the CZ 75. If the stainless version came with a decocker instead of a manual safety, then I'd have likely bought it. I may still own a stainless one some day. CZ's thumb safety is a nice design, but it's JUST slightly too far forward for me to reliably click it off in a hurry.

I never considered the CZ75B a serious defensive use firearm due to the lack of a decocker. Completely unacceptable, in my opinion. The BD model of course has the decocker. It is a great piece.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I never considered the CZ75B a serious defensive use firearm due to the lack of a decocker. Completely unacceptable, in my opinion. The BD model of course has the decocker. It is a great piece.

What does a decocker have to do with a pistol being a good defensive piece?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

What does a decocker have to do with a pistol being a good defensive piece?

Without a decocker you cant safely decock the pistol with a loaded chamber. Most of my training is tactical police style training and thumbing down a hammer on a loaded chamber is an absolute no no. So therefor, the CZ75B is not suitable for police use. If it's not suitable for police use, its not suitable for my use.

Can a CZ75B be used effectively by a trained person? Sure. But the lack of a decocker is a safety issue.

Of course the CZ75BD fixes this by adding a decocker and would be suitable for defensive use.

Most departments certainly tend to be on-board with this thinking. I'm not aware of many, if any, departments who carry manual safety-equipped hammer-fired guns (such as a CZ 75 B, a 1911, etc). To my knowledge, any of the hammer-fired guns they use (Sigs, etc) have the ability to decock the hammer. The Army went this route as well, moving from the thumb safety 1911 to the Beretta M9 (which I guess has the ability to decock AND safety it...which probably confuses the manual of arms a little bit).

Looking only at the CZ portfolio, this trend is clear as well. The weapons marketed to law enforcement use decockers. The BD Police, obviously, has a decocker. So does the compact alloy frame PCR (PCR = Police Czech Republic). So does the P-01 and the SP-01 Tactical, which also are used by law enforcement.

I shot my 75 for the first time yesterday. And. Eh...

I didn't love it. It had quite a bit of muzzle flip to me. I really had to grip it to keep it down on target. Contrary to internet lore, CZs have a materially HIGH bore axis, and I think this hinders how I shoot it. I could put it down, pick up my Shield, and just hammer the rounds out through the Shield. The CZ...I wouldn't call it punishing to shoot...but it wasn't all that smooth, either. Actually, I guess it did punish me...its serrated trigger wore a spot on my trigger finger, requiring me to put a band aid on to continue shooting.

I was acceptably accurate with it, though. We were shooting 6" steel plates at about 60 feet and I was hitting them about half the time. I was less accurate with my Shield...understandable, right (smaller gun)? My friend's buddy rolls up on his motorcycle to see what we were doing...he picks up my Shield...and hits all three plates with three shots. He couldn't hit anything with my CZ until I told him it likes more of a 6:00 hold, and then he was pretty good with it. Still...the CZ didn't impress me.

My friend, however, was all over it. He shot the CZ P-09 I used to have, loved it, and bought a CZ 75 PCR (compact). He told me that if I ever decided to sell this CZ 75 BD, he wants to be the first in line.

I may take him up on it.

I have always found them to be a really [censored] cat to shoot myself, as are their clones. I had an older small frame Witness that I still miss to this day.

I have ever only hated one CZ that I have shot/owned and that was a 40B.

You may be the first person I've ever heard say anything negative about a CZ!

I have commented on the nightmare that my CZ40 B was on here. It was finicky as can be....but that model was designed in collaboration with Colt...so I blame that on why I had to get it worked on three times and even then it would only eat hotter loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back