Code PO716 in Chevy Uplander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately, after extended highway drives (2+ hours on the highway) the Uplander will bang then the RPM's shoot up, when this happens if you let off the gas the RPM will drop to idle speed. It will go on with high RPM for about 2 minutes or so then will finally shift back down to normal RPM on the highway. About every 15-30 minutes it will do this. Well it finally threw a CEL so I just went down to Advanced and I had it read with an OBD II scanner. It gave me code PO716 "Turbine input shaft speed sensor". What could this be?

Sounds like the trans is going into limp mode - shifts to lower gear, stays there, forces the TCC to stay unlocked.

I have no hands-on experience with 4T60-Es beyond normal maintenance, but it's probably something minor like a turbine speed sensor that gets hot and goes electrically open or corrosion in the speed sensor connector.

If you have access to a scan tool you can probably read live data and see turbine shaft speed (should match engine RPM). Otherwise new input speed sensors look like theyre ~$20 and can be replaced without digging into the trans. Throw one in and see what happens.

To change the ISS sensor, The Side Cover has to be removed. Book time is about 4 hours.

Check the wiring to the transmission first, Pins S & V are the ISS High & Low on the 20 way Trans Plug.

They terminate at the Gray PCM connector, terminals 11 and 49.

My apologies. I stopped halfway through this post and was chatting about a 41TE to someone else. Apparently my mind got stuck on it :p

Clinebarger is on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back