Rotella T5 syn-blend 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
That oils been around forever. Lots of guys use it in their bikes me included,pretty good stuff. If you can't find it at an Auto parts store by you, try a truck stop.,,,

That oil came out in 2014 if you call that "been around forever"

I think a few are thinking you are referring to the dino 15-40 rotella. And yes that one is used a lot by bikers .

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: dr2152
Walmart has it.

Whats the price?

Around $17

I have yet to see that stuff on the shelf. My local Menards even had it in their ad (It specified T5 15w40 and showed a pic of the jug.) I saw nothing at the store.

I am curious how this stuff would hold up in a Mercruiser engine.

Last edited:
I'd consider it for the Victory if I could find it around here. Our local Walmart doesn't have it--I think a few of y'all think I'm talking about conventional Rotella 15w-40--NOT. This stuff is SYN-BLEND. . .

It was $16.47 at Walmart here today. Conventional Rotella was $13.97. It's not new. It's been available here for over two years.

I've seen the "T5" in a couple of other grades, but not the 15W-40 grade - so this is news to me.

Went to the Shell website to have a look see. It says "Introducing" T5 15W-40.

I dunno.

Been using the 15W-40 conventional for more than 25 years. Now I have another choice. Uggggg.

:)

Originally Posted By: Robster
I'd consider it for the Victory if I could find it around here. Our local Walmart doesn't have it--I think a few of y'all think I'm talking about conventional Rotella 15w-40--NOT. This stuff is SYN-BLEND. . .

I tried it (15W-40 Rotella T5 Semi Synthetic in the silver jug) in my Victory this summer and didn't like the resulting increase in engine noise, however I thought the clutch felt better. I dumped it and re-filled with Vic oil and it seemed to go back to normal. Was it just me?
I filled my FZ1 with it at the fall oil change, but have not ridden it since.

15W-40 was in stores this spring/summer, but I did not see it on the web page, only 10W-30 and 10W-40.

I saw conventional white Jug Rotella at Advance this weekend for $17.00, Holy Cow!

Last edited:
What's important about a fully synthetic oil are the molecules which
are the same size and composition which decreases friction... In a
mineral oil the molecules vary in size and composition which increases
friction...

Blending Syn with Min defeats both the decrease friction quality of
synthetic and the low cost of mineral oil... so understanding the
importance of the molecules you may wish to go either 100% Syn or 100%
Min and capitalize on the freer flowing Syn or cost cutting Min...

SyntheticOil1_zpse53af542.jpg

MineralOil1_zpsb84d032c.jpg

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

What's important about a fully synthetic oil are the molecules which
are the same size and composition which decreases friction... In a
mineral oil the molecules vary in size and composition which increases
friction...

Blending Syn with Min defeats both the decrease friction quality of
synthetic and the low cost of mineral oil... so understanding the
importance of the molecules you may wish to go either 100% Syn or 100%
Min and capitalize on the freer flowing Syn or cost cutting Min...

SyntheticOil1_zpse53af542.jpg

MineralOil1_zpsb84d032c.jpg

Dream on.
If metal was perfectly smooth then maybe that theory would hold water however since no metal moving parts are perfectly smooth this idea doesn't fly.
In fact varying sized molecules are better because they fill the irregularities thus creating a better wedge.
You need to get away from believing the marketing department. It scares me that you've got a shop and people might actually listen to you.
Luckily here that's not a problem.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Was it just me?

Its you... I think you ought to go up in Betty Jane and pull some Gs to uncork yourself...

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Was it just me?

Its you... I think you ought to go up in Betty Jane and pull some Gs to uncork yourself...

aaaaah, OK?

Originally Posted By: Clevy

You need to get away from believing the marketing department.

Not a problem... Quote Kew Engineering and their photo... they are a lubrication consulting
firm and not a oil marketing department...

"Synthetics are derived by a different refining process to offer better performance owing to
their consistent molecular structure and purity."

fig_4_synthetic_vs_mineral_oil.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back