Opinions of the 97 Toyota RAV4 AWD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering one for sale locally, 125,000 miles, rust free, $2000 obo.
Apparently needs front struts and a CV/drive axle.

Any opinions of this Toyota?

Thanks in advance!

They weren't very powerful (engine horsepower is 120...slightly increased to 127 in 1998) but are ridiculously reliable. Also, the AWD system is top-notch in these vehicles...they'll go anywhere. My nephew had a purple (he really HATED the color)1997 AWD 5 speed and I drove it a couple of times. It was a surprisingly good driving vehicle and he drove it for quite a few years before selling it with somewhere north of 175K miles...still running well at the time.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If your a DIY'er, I'd buy it. Multiple the cost of this used one by a bakers dozen.

I am a DIY'er, thanks for your input.

My cousin in FL just bought a similar generation for >$5000 with similar mileage. FL car and completely rust free thought, some faded paint. I wouldn't have paid 5 grand but, he liked it! 2 grand sounds decent.

I'd be all over it. Those issues aren't too expensive to DIY, but are expensive to fix at a shop. Give them a lower-ish offer and point out that struts and an axle would be easily over 1/4 of their asking price to have fixed at a shop.

I have a 1998 2wd with 206,000 miles. Oil pump seal, both axle boots, struts & mounts were bad. Fixed everything myself & it's super reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back