Used Minivan - Considering '04 Odyssey - Bad Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests, the old lady and I are in the market for a large crossover or mini-van. So far we've test driven an '04 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kia Sedona, and an '04 Honda Odyssey EX. Budget is 3k-6k.

The '04 Pacifica was a [censored] of a vehicle. Had 130k. The AWD platform, luxury, features, fit & finish belies its low price tag of $4,500. But space is the primary consideration over luxury, and this example had low oil pressure at idle (light would come on below 1k RPM).

The '03 Sedona was a nice ride-- 110k, $2,900. nothing fantastic, but some things were showing their cheapness-- the chrome trim was peeling in several places, ride, fit & finish, condition, etc. was okay but not stellar for a car this age. It seemed like we could get a couple reliable years out of it, but then it'd be questionable after that. Parts availability & expense would be a concern, as would reliability. Everything appeared to work, but we need something we'll be confident taking on cross-country road trips without the fear of breaking down somewhere remote and not being able to find parts.

The Honda we essentially fell in love with at first sight. Van has 138k miles, but is in immaculate condition. The dealer is asking $5,500, but I think we can whittle them down to 5k or slightly below. It's clear this was a little-old-lady van, and not a kid hauler, because the interior is absolutely impeccable-- showroom clean. It's the EX model, so it has all the bells and whistles except for DVD, Navi, Leather so far as I can tell. It drove and rode like a brand new van, and it had a sense of quality we just didn't see in the Kia. The seats, controls, surfaces, etc. all looked brand new, not worn like the Kia. Either it's built better, or was taken care of better, or a serious combination of the two (most likely). We think it's worth the extra $2,400.

We asked the guy to hold it over the weekend so we could do a little more research before Monday, when we'd like to pull the trigger. Some internet research seemed to raise a red flag on the Honda, namely transmission problems with these models, a 5sp auto. Apparently the 3rd gear clutch likes to go, which requires a rebuild at a cost of about $3,000. That's my main fear in buying a foreign vehicle is a major expense like this. I used to own an '01 Nissan Frontier, and it left me stranded in Kansas in the middle of nowhere, facing a $4,000 transmission rebuild with no warning.

I should note that this is not a vehicle we'll have to rely on (if it breaks, we have two others), but we do need it reliable for long trips with the kids. I do all my own work on my vehicles and a transmission swap does not scare me, so long as it doesn't require a vehicle lift or expensive sets of proprietary tools I can't get my hands on. I'd rather not purchase a vehicle that's nearly guaranteed to have a transmission failure, however.

The Honda has a clean one owner Carfax, and the Carfax has a lot of service records on it-- one entry at 120k suggests a transmission flush, transmission cooler flush, but none specifically mention a transmission change or rebuild.

Am I buying a ticking time bomb, or taking my chances? It seems the '04's have nowhere near the transmission failure rate as the '09-02 four-speeds... But I'm still leery. I don't want to pay 5k for something, then put another 3k into it. At least not without getting a couple years use out of it first..

You guys can see my dilemma.. Should I jump on this one-of-a-kind Honda (again, you don't find *ANY* minivans this old in this condition, at this price, let alone a Honda, which we like), or should we keep looking at other brands & models? Any suggestions? I've always heard Hondas are a safe buy, but these internet stories have me sittign on the fence. Please help!

Why do you want a van? Is there something you can't carry in a landy or an f250? Is there somewhere you can't go in a landy or an f250?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Why do you want a van? Is there something you can't carry in a landy or an f250? Is there somewhere you can't go in a landy or an f250?

The Land Rover was recently totaled by my running over a stop sign. That sounds crazy, but the insurance company handed me a $4,000 check (after deductible) to total my Land Rover. That was for damaging a bumper, bumper cover and grill. I paid $1,800 for the Land Rover.

That said, we have 3 kids and are wanting another. The Land Rover fit the bill, but we don't necessarily need another 4wd vehicle (already have the truck), and I value space & convenience and gas mileage over all-weather & terrain capability at this point in my life.

Edit: Putting space as a primary consideration was too vague-- we need 6 passenger at least, 7-8 being even better yet!

Last edited:
This particular '04 Odyssey could be a ticking time bomb or, it could be the exception. Yeah, they had their share of tranny issues but, not every single one. And the example your looking at may be that example.

Also, there was a class action lawsuit on them for the tranny issues. IDK if the lawsuit is still open so, should you have issues, you can get some moneys. Look into it!

Should you get the Odyssey, consider a used vehicle extended warranty. But, be leery of these also. You really have to read'em!

$2700 is what it cost to replace the trans in my GM, so it's not cheap for domestic either.

"Worry is interest paid on something that may never happen". You could drive that Honda a million miles without issue. If the transmission does go out, complain about it here, pay the money, and take long trips in your nice van that has a new transmission and warranty. It's no different than what every vehicle owner on the planet deals with every day. It's what you're going to have to deal with if you can't or won't buy or lease.

Or, just stash some money away for future repairs! If no repairs occur, take a nice trip in the minivan!
smile.gif

I'd offer 2500 for the Kia and drive it for a few years....the A/Ts were suspect in that generation of Odysseys...

Forget the Pacifica and go with a base Caravan 3.3 Should cost around $3-3500.

I'd pass on the Honda and Chrysler.

Honda is overrated and those years had glass transmissions. Sure, it may not be you but the odds are it may be you. You hear a lot about people putting many trannies in them over 100k. As the saying goes: Do you feel lucky punk?
smile.gif

Chrysler? Bottom of the barrel reliability and that example already has issues. Low oil pressure at idle means run away on any vehicle. Especially a vehicle from a company known to not produce reliable vehicles.

I'd think long and hard about the Kia - parts should interchange with the Hyundai version of that van although at 11-12 years old you may have problems finding "weird" parts as outside of the Odyssey none were stellar sellers.

The high curb weight on those old KIA minivans was enough for a newspaper article years ago. They are heavy and get worse gas mileage vs the competition.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Some internet research seemed to raise a red flag on the Honda, namely transmission problems with these models, a 5sp auto.

The '04 Odyssey has several TSBs and at least one Safety Recall out on its automatic transmission. If the vehicle has been brought in to the dealer for all the necessary work, then the transmission should be fine.

The only way to know for sure if the necessary work has been performed is to call your local Honda dealer with the VIN number and ask. They will have all records of any work performed on that VIN.

If you are unable or unwilling to call the dealer, then avoid buying this Odyssey.

Check "Ody Club Forums" at http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/
Re transmission:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-20...html#post747252
From this thread I posted:
99-01: 4 speed, some bearing problems(or defects?). If there is a carfax that shows reg 30k fluid changes should be OK. I have a 2001/80k+ mi, a great car. No regrets.
02-03: 5 speed. Design defect, insufficient oiling of 3rd gear. Recall was issued to install ATF line from drain plug to fill hole. Would need to pump out and fill fluid through dipstick. This is the problem that gave Honda transmissions a bad rep.
04: Check VIN; early 04 had previous tran and later had 05.
05-06: New housing to add ATF line internally to 3rd gear.
07-current non-Touring: 5 speed Ridgeline tranny used is much tougher.
Any errors stated I am sure will be commented on. There is a great thread to read here

Honda had issues with that transmission for YEARS...'04 was the second year for the 5 speed unit in the Odyssey and one of the most problematic. From what I understand, they're a nightmare and replacements didn't necessarily last either. Honda chose to Band-Aid the design defects of that transmission and [censored] off a bunch of people when they didn't work. As nice as they drive I'd possibly look around (agree on the Kia...they weighed over 4,700 lbs. and would get 20 mpg at best). A Toyota Sienna would be more reliable (although not without a few issues) but are likely more expensive.

Although I like the way the Chrysler vans of that generation (2001-07) drive, their interiors were noticeably cheapened from the previous model (1996-2000) and on a quiet night you can hear them rusting (rockers and dog legs go quickly around here even with good body maintenance...Chrysler obviously got a good deal on some bad steel or cheaped out on any kind of factory rust protection on those models).

I'd still look around for a Toyota if it were me.

Originally Posted By: dmark
Re transmission:
99-01: 4 speed, some bearing problems(or defects?). If there is a carfax that shows reg 30k fluid changes should be OK. I have a 2001/80k+ mi, a great car. No regrets.
02-03: 5 speed. Design defect, insufficient oiling of 3rd gear. Recall was issued to install ATF line from drain plug to fill hole. Would need to pump out and fill fluid through dipstick. This is the problem that gave Honda transmissions a bad rep.
Any errors stated I am sure will be commented on. There is a great thread to read here

This is a good rundown of the weak link of the Odyssey, the transmission.
At that age and mileage, it is a coin toss as to whether or not you will have transmission issues with it.
I would certainly recommend that if you really like the vehicle that 1) you have a mechanic that specializes in Honda products go over it and 2) you have the resources handy for a transmission job and be prepared for the worst case scenario.
Having owned 2 of them (an 00 and an 06), I would probably pass on it and look for nothing older than an 06. Our second was a much better van.

The transmission on the 04 had the durability of a wet noodle in a boiling pot of water regardless of how well it was maintained.
Do yourself a big favor and pass that one no matter how good it looks, that is an expensive unit to replace.

2004 was the 3rd year for the 5 speed and there are 2 different trans.
Early 04 had the original 5 and would have the update (recall for 02-03) from the factory. Later 04 had the new casting and did not need the external bypass added.
Most important is that the fluid was changed at a minimum when recommended if not more frequently. I do a "drain and fill" yearly on my Hondas ( Great car, good luck.

If you can go 07 or later- 4 shaft tran developed for the Ridgeline is the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dmark
Re transmission:

It would seem then this is all speculation until the OP can find which transmission this 04 has. Or the door placard will have the month/year of manufacture that might help.

Of the 3 I'd take the Odyssey, but I'd agree you need to know about the transmission issues and see what tsb's have been done and when. Minivans lead tough lives and have really high resale, I feel your pain. Me buying one wasn't easy either, looked at a dozen or so and all had what on a normal car would be considered "abuse". On the other hand owning a SUV and a minivan if you have three or four kids it's not even close as far as interior volume. You're headed in the right direction, IMO.

The odyssey is a better van. Kia still hasn't caught up generationally with the majors, though they're getting close. But an 03 Kia just isn't something I'd mess with.

There is a good deal of liability in e Honda, and I'd want some assurance that it was looked after repair wise recently, or else have the price reflect the liability. That said, at 138k, most any AT is a liability, and could fail in the 160k+ mileage range, that's not just a Honda trait.

The Honda sounds like a much better value to me.

I would pass on all three, especially after reading the responses. We tried to buy a Honday Odyessy van a few years ago from Carmax. The CEL came on and they couldn't figure it out. After 3 days, we got a full refund. I'm not that big a fan of any of the brands you listed.

What about a Nissan van? Or a Tahoe? A Subaru Outback?? Or is it too small?

any vehicle under $5k is going to be a gamble. Personally I would go on craigslist and find a private seller that has a car that has been on there for a long time. If they can prove regular maintenance on a vehicle that has a decent track record I would start hard on the negotiations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back