explain drain plug size...?.?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to AutoZone and purchased a drain plug for a 1991 buick park avenue with the 3.8. Many of you thought it would be the 15mm, but the part they gave me was a 14mm plug. Does the 14mm stand for the thread size or head size? I double checked the part number on AutoZone.com and confirmed it was the same. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Iirc whitworth goes by head size.

Whitworth is by bolt size, so is BSF....however BSF is usually marked one size smaller.

I would seriously caution against installing an aftermarket drain plug on that Buick. There was a BITOG'er not too long ago that did the same thing and the plug damaged the factory threads on the oil pan. I'd strongly recommend a genuine GM plug.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would seriously caution against installing an aftermarket drain plug on that Buick. There was a BITOG'er not too long ago that did the same thing and the plug damaged the factory threads on the oil pan. I'd strongly recommend a genuine GM plug.
What Merk said

It's probably a 14 X 1.5 drain plug bolt. Not sure why you need a new one or why an aftermarket plug would mess up the pan's threads, unless it was wrong to begin with.

The size of the head that the wrench goes on is up to whoever makes the drain plug. I'd get it from the dealership too, what is it, maybe $5?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Not sure why you need a new one or why an aftermarket plug would mess up the pan's threads, unless it was wrong to begin with.

All it takes is for the thread pitch to be a little off to damage the threads on that oil pan. I don't trust the Chinese to make a drain plug for a Buick. You guys can do what you want.

Geez! It's a drain plug not an engagement ring. Drain your oil, if it doesn't fit, don't force it, put the stock plug back in and try again next time.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Geez! It's a drain plug not an engagement ring. Drain your oil, if it doesn't fit, don't force it, put the stock plug back in and try again next time.

The drain plug is FAR more important ....
48.gif

Dorman has made millions of drain plugs,short of it being misboxed I don't see how it could ruin pan threads unless some cheap oil change place (JL,WM...etc) air gunned it at one time.

According to the fitment part of that plug specs, yes it fits a 1991 Buick Park Avenue.

My question is have you seen the oil plug you are replacing yet? If you have not seen it yet, then why are you buying a replacement? The one in the car now is more than likely perfectly acceptable. Just curious what you are thinking.

If you're curious about the thread size slip an open end wrench over it. Poor man's calipers.
wink.gif

You can also use a 10mm wrench and count the threads and do a little division for the thread pitch, in your example 6-and-change.

Hello, I was wondering the same thing--what's wrong with the old one?

See if a gasket is involved. Many, many times people reuse a drain plug gasket and you get a leak.
My friend says, "Just turn it over". I swear he's turned the same gasket over 15 times.

Also, FYI, There are stupid drain plugs which looked all-the-world like common hex head bolts but the sides actually taper. The top of the head is smaller than the base. A special tool was required to fit it though you could press hard on a regular wrench to hold it on the hex.

I've seen it 3 times.
I quickly replaced them with Dorman.

As far as gaskets go, if there's no set copper (family's Saabs) or aluminum (my Volvo) I prefer the rubber inserted metal gaskets. I associate these with GM cars and A/C compressor hook-ups. Kira

ps Just read eljafino's post. My suggestion (which everyone would benefit from OBEYING) is to get a metric tap and die set. There's nothing like KNOWING what your thread size is. If something like a 14mm thread is not included in the set resort to taking your sample to a hardware store which sells "drawer hardware" and finding your match. Buy a correct nut and bring it with you to the auto parts store to test fit.

Sounds like a lot to do but you'll get better at judging sizes quickly. K

I just looked up a drain plug for a 91 Park Avenue and according to Napa's computer system, it's not even metric thread; it's a 1/2"-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back