Gun grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a Sig P239 for Christmas. Factory grease is Mil-Comm TW25B, which is apparently "all synthetic." I tried out the sample, and it seems like very solid stuff.

But given the usual beatdown people get here on BITOG for bad general statements like "Synthetics are superior to conventionals," I figured I'd ask the rest of you. What's the best grease for a non-polymer semi-auto?

EDIT: Before someone asks, I'll probably shoot 150–200 rounds once a month at outdoor ranges in Texas. No need for fancy Alaska-class cold weather stuff. No long-term storage in mind for now.

Last edited:
I have always heard that TW25B is very good, but there are other greases also. Even just lithium which is approved for guns can be used along with oil. Some people for a semi-auto recommend oil but grease on the slides and in the case of the Glock, in the one critical lubrication point.

For a revolver, after the gun is cleaned, just oil.

IMO TW25B and Super Lube grease are close to being the same, I could be wrong. I use Super Lube on my guns.

Congrats on the new baby siggy.

I've used TW25b for years on all of my guns. I bought a tube of it over 10 years ago and just kept using it. It works very well on firearms and stays where I put it. If you carry a firearm and happen to get a little bit of the grease on an item of clothing, it will wash out, I can't say that about some other oils.

I like TW25b because Mil-Comm also makes an oil that is compatible with the grease and won't break it down, the oil is MC2500. You can find the oil and grease at a Bass Pro shop, that way you don't have to pay shipping charges by ordering online. If it were me I'd just stick with the TW25b, there are many like it but none exactly the same.

All of my firearms get Shooter's Choice in the syringe. It's obviously a grease so it is used primarily on slide rails, bolts, and anything that gets heat + friction.

Trigger groups and whatnot get whatever light oil I have like CLP or Remoil.

I have been using AeroShell 33MS only because it is a MILSPEC grease used for the assembly of the AR-15. Seems to work great and since 1 tube is about a 30 year supply for me I might as well get some use out of it.

In all reality, there are so many greases that work well. Tetra, lubriplate, Shooters Choice all weather, TW25b Wilson Combat.

I hear that some people use Frog Lube but stay away from it unless you go 100% Frog Lube since it doesn't play well with other lubes.

If it's going to be a carry pistol you will want to clean and relube about once per month to get the dust bunnies and grit out and keep reliability @ 100%

Since Sig used the TW-25B, I would just stick with that. I think that regular cleaning and lubrication are far more important than the particular products used.

I use oil on all of my semi-auto pistols, because that's what the manuals stated to use...but they are shot regularly and cleaned/lubed each time. My carry pistol (H&K USP Compact) gets shot/cleaned about every 3 months. But I keep it in a holster, so the dust/grit is almost non-existent. I am also very careful not to overlube the carry weapon - I don't want solvents or oil creeping into the ammo. I tend to be a bit generous with the lube on everything else since it is humid here and I am concerned about corrosion.

The only grease that I regularly use on guns is Mobil 1. I use that on my Garand. The remnants (a few oz) of the 1lb tub that I was using for wheel bearings is enough grease for a lifetime of Garand care.

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason that something like Sil-Glyde couldn't be used as a handgun grease? It's rated for very high temperatures (and low temperatures) and would probably stay in place well.

Another vote for Super Lube Synthetic Grease. I use it from the 3 oz. tube with good results. It is a nice clean grease and works well for me.

Mil-Comm TW25B is excellent grease (why Sig standardized it's usage) ...Super Lube grease and Lucas Red & Tacky #2 grease are also very , very good ! ...Just remember to focus on THIN coatings of grease on rails , etc. as otherwise it can lead to build up of lint , powder , carbon , etc. if applied too thick .

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have been using AeroShell 33MS only because it is a MILSPEC grease used for the assembly of the AR-15. Seems to work great and since 1 tube is about a 30 year supply for me I might as well get some use out of it.

In all reality, there are so many greases that work well. Tetra, lubriplate, Shooters Choice all weather, TW25b Wilson Combat.

I hear that some people use Frog Lube but stay away from it unless you go 100% Frog Lube since it doesn't play well with other lubes.

If it's going to be a carry pistol you will want to clean and relube about once per month to get the dust bunnies and grit out and keep reliability @ 100%

I'm convinced the only reason Aeroshell grease is known outside of the aviation community is because some armchair commandos got on the forums and proclaimed that anyone not using it to build AR15s is wrong. And we all know that nobody on the internet likes to be wrong.

I haven't ever seen it for sale for less than $25/tube. That is a ridiculous price to pay for grease for a firearm. I can understand the cost being high in aviation use, since anything that is used on an airplane has to be designed for that type of use.

Tetra, shooters choice, and TW25B are what I use for gun grease. Tetra and TW25B appear identical, but Tetra is about $5 cheaper per tube.

Realistically, get a tub of #2 grease (any) and have a lifetime supply.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

I'm convinced the only reason Aeroshell grease is known outside of the aviation community is because some armchair commandos got on the forums and proclaimed that anyone not using it to build AR15s is wrong. And we all know that nobody on the internet likes to be wrong.

I haven't ever seen it for sale for less than $25/tube. That is a ridiculous price to pay for grease for a firearm. I can understand the cost being high in aviation use, since anything that is used on an airplane has to be designed for that type of use.

$17.14 at Skygeek: http://m.skygeek.com/5067068.html

BSW

Exxon Unirex N 2 is flat out the best all around grease on the planet. Its water proof.

Synthetic grease means nothing as the lubricant is not intended to run forever, allthough Unirex is a grease for life product in electric motors.

We used the product in a Nuke plant and it literally handled every application except when a robust EP grease was required.

I have used everything from motor oil in a large gauge syringe to automotive grease, silicone based grease, and lately CRC synthetic brake and caliper grease(contains moly, PTFE, and graphite). It all depends on the application. I rather like the CRC caliper grease, as it has a temp range from -30F to 600F. I apply all lubes sparingly as a little goes a long way. The greases are applied with a q-tip. The most important thing is to keep the firearm clean and maintain regularly. I shoot often and prodigiously and always clean afterward. And I never let a firearm go for more than 6 months without a light clean and lube.

Last edited:
I do know of a guy who was a range instructor and he used wheel bearing grease on his SIG. He shot a lot and there was very little wear on his gun.

But in extremely cold weather oil would probably be better.

When it comes to handguns some people say oil and some say grease. I think even if a person used grease on a semi-auto oil is probably better on a revolver. And like I said it also depends on temperature and other conditions like perhaps the gun being used in very dusty areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back