2013 Acura ILX oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i was doing an oil change on an Acura ILX and notice an oil leak. Car is 2013 Acura ILX 2.0l 5spd automatic.
Car has 35k miles.
Oil change mileage history all with purolator pureone:

5800 - Factory fill replaced with quakerstate synthetic 5w-20
12800 - replaced oil with amsoil 0w-20
20265 - replaced oil with valvoline synpower 0w-20
29051 - replaced oil with napa synthetic 5w-20
36335 - replaced oil with napa synthetic 5w-20
Car does not have any odd noises or burn oil.

Car is still under warranty however I am curious to see if anyone has seen and or experience this and know what it could be.

Thanks
E.S. = Engine side
T.S. = Transmission side
The bottom of the drivetrain is coated with a thin layer of oil that is now covered by dirt.

Rear main leaking ?
21.gif

Yep, I got the same leak on my Buick. It's not bad enough to form a puddle on the floor; it's just a seep. It'll get taken care of when I pull the engine someday.

Have you Acura dealer look at your engine oil breather. You are still under warranty. It is mounted to the firewall side of your engine. Part number 11850-RNA-A00 if you want to Google it. It is sealed to the engine with Honda Bond. They leak and it isn't an easy job. The oil will run down the firewall side of the motor and end up in engine underbody pan.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Posting so I can follow this thread, waiting for dealer response

+1

Seals and/or gaskets on a 2 year old vehicle should not fail.
Is the vehicle still under warranty?

The correct fix is to do it yourself so you know it's been done right. Some people let an unknown dealer tech work on theist car for convenience. If the dealer does it, it may be done incorrectly up will still be warranted.

Personally,I think you should,take half a day to do it yourself. It's Sunday. Be productive and fix it!

I wonder if you overfilled the oil during any of the oil change?

The only time I got a leak in one of my past 5 cars was happening when OD overfilled oil and it was 1 cm over the MAX on a dipstick.

I will perform a closer inspection today or next weekend and report back. I will not do any fixes as this is covered under warranty. My only concern is the dealer will deny warranty work due to me doing the oil changes. Need to find those receipts some how.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
I will perform a closer inspection today or next weekend and report back. I will not do any fixes as this is covered under warranty. My only concern is the dealer will deny warranty work due to me doing the oil changes. Need to find those receipts some how.

In my experience, they usually do not ask. So don't bring it up.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

In my experience, they usually do not ask. So don't bring it up.

Exactly, as long as they were done correctly I wouldn't say a word about it.

After a closer inspection, i cannot pinpoint any leaks above the bottom of the drivetrain so it probably is the rear main seal. It is going to acura this thursday. Lets see what they have to say...

What they should do is add a UV dye to the oil, clean off the underside, tell the owner to drive a few hundred miles, then inspect with a blacklight to see if the dyed oil shows up on the outside of the engine. If it does, then there's a problem. If not, somebody got sloppy on an oil change. Some cars can make a little bit of oil look like a big leak when it's spilled when refilling.

We have an 05 accord auto that started showing some seeping between the engine and trans after a few years and 30k miles tops. I always assumed it was trans fluid. Currently there is a thin layer of oily grunge on the bottom of the trans but nowhere else. It never dripped on the garage floor.

It makes my shirt dirty when I clean up the back of the block after changing the filter. But other than that, It doesn't bother me.

Brought the car to the dealer. They cleaned up the leak and added some dye to it. They drove it around and found no leaks so they said drive it for another 1000 miles and return.

They kept saying it is the oil changer not doing it properly... Ive been changing oil for 6 years and never made a mistake......I will keep an eye on this "leak"
I bought a uv light to see if they even put dye in there. WIll report back next week.

Brought the car to the dealer. They cleaned up the leak and added some dye to it. They drove it around and found no leaks so they said drive it for another 1000 miles and return.

They kept saying it is the oil changer not doing it properly... Ive been changing oil for 6 years and never made a mistake......I will keep an eye on this "leak"
I bought a uv light to see if they even put dye in there. WIll report back next week.

Your doubts are spot on my man, don't trust any
$tealership when it comes to service, EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back