Cold Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not envy you guys in the northern US, Canada, and the rocky mountain states when it comes to cold weather. We took our obligatory trip to Estes Park this past week and it was -19F at the coldest point. Tons of snow (which is nice to play in and then leave). My FX4 fared very well--save for the windshield washer fluid that I forgot to change before we left, but I did stock up on some -35F stuff while I was there. M1 EP in 0W-20 worked like a dream; the engine cranked as normal, but the power steering pump did not care for the below zero temperatures. It whined a little and the serpentine belt squealed for about 5 seconds otherwise all was good. It saw 4x4 action for most of the trip, but no chains were needed. Just as we thought we had left all of that behind us, we had 6" of snow dumped on us in Amarillo and they did not have the snowplows running. Good times for about 150 miles on highway 287, but back in (semi) warm Houston now.

Anyway, we had fun and left the bitter cold for others to enjoy--you guys and gals stay warm up there!!

We appreciate you coming back home and getting rid of this rainy ,miserable weather we've been having the last few days. We actually were able to see the sun for an hour today ,before it got dark.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
We appreciate you coming back home and getting rid of this rainy ,miserable weather we've been having the last few days. We actually were able to see the sun for an hour today ,before it got dark.

Yeah,no doubt!! The sun FINALLY came out,yay!!

Originally Posted By: Darren270
I love the snow and cold! Summer to me is what winter is to most . . . depressing and miserable.

thumbsup2.gif
You are not alone, sir. Yesterday it was 75 degrees (and humid!) at 7 pm, and the weather had been warm and sticky all day. "It's not April, it's January!" I wanted to shout. "It's supposed to be cold!"

Nine to ten months of summer (or of any one season, really) wears on you.

When we have a few days of cold weather, or even a week, there is such wailing going on here (DFW). We have more than enough hot weather and sunshine. We also had two solid days of rain. We need two solid months of rain to even begin catching up on the deficit we've been facing for years. I'll admit that fall and spring are awesome here, but whining about the ridiculously short winters we have is just unreasonable. I love the cold weather just for the change!

As an aside, even though the drought has been brought to everyone's attention for the past decade water waste is still rampant. Combined with the out of control growth in Texas it's a recipe for disaster. It won't be long before it's going to be goodbye to the green lawns!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
When we have a few days of cold weather, or even a week, there is such wailing going on here (DFW). We have more than enough hot weather and sunshine. We also had two solid days of rain. We need two solid months of rain to even begin catching up on the deficit we've been facing for years. I'll admit that fall and spring are awesome here, but whining about the ridiculously short winters we have is just unreasonable. I love the cold weather just for the change!

As an aside, even though the drought has been brought to everyone's attention for the past decade water waste is still rampant. Combined with the out of control growth in Texas it's a recipe for disaster. It won't be long before it's going to be goodbye to the green lawns!

I agree; I like the winter, but I am certain that I would tire of below zero weather fairly quickly. The snow is always fun because it is a very rare thing to have it happen in Houston.

OT - In Houston, we are shifting to surface water versus deep wells. Are you guys doing the same? I seem to remember growing up in the 70s that Galveston used sea water via desalination plants, but then a huge pipeline was installed between Houston and Galveston and Houston now supplies their water. Likely too cost prohibitive, but with the Gulf of Mexico there, it seems like the water should flow the other way.

I like the cold and snow in its season. Makes me glad for the warm weather in its season, and the ever-lengthening transition periods when we don't need the heat or A/C.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
In Houston, we are shifting to surface water versus deep wells. Are you guys doing the same?

We used very little, if any, well water in this area. All the water where I live comes from one large lake. The hardness, as measured by TDS, has double in the past ten years. That is due to increased impoundment of the Trinity river. All lake levels in the DFW area are down 5-9 feet from what is considered their normal levels. I am very glad I have been using a reverse osmosis system for the water I drink for years. While the water is, apparently, safe it is not very yummy as drinking water. Yet, I see my neighbors watering lawns excessively, on rainy days, the day after heavy rain, all winter long on dormant lawns, etc.

I guess, like all human activity, stupidity only ceases when there is no other choice?

Originally Posted By: Darren270
I love the snow and cold! Summer to me is what winter is to most...depressing and miserable.

Wow! Summer in beautiful Colorado is DEPRESSING?

Summer in Florida to me would be depressing. I am a morning person, so being out and about before its too hot wouldn't bother me though. Mid day through the late evening I'd either be inside in AC or floating in a pool.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Summer in Florida to me would be depressing. I am a morning person, so being out and about before its too hot wouldn't bother me though. Mid day through the late evening I'd either be inside in AC or floating in a pool.

Dunno about Florida, but here in Loozyana it's hot and devastatingly humid all day and all night. More humidity in the early morning, as you'd expect. When I go out to wash my car on Saturday mornings, I'm soaked with sweat in minutes. When I finish, I stagger back indoors and detail me.

Colorado, now -- the summers there were grand. It actually cooled off between midnight and about 9 am, so if I went out to breakfast around 7, I could roll the windows down and enjoy the morning. By 10:30-11:00 I'd be home in the A/C (which CO denizens seemed to think was optional in near-100 degree heat, however dry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back