Hitler's scar-faced henchman turned Irish farmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting how he was not convicted of war crimes. He seemed like a pretty good candidate for conviction and execution.

It is astounding to me that Ireland would allow him entry.

Ireland took an interesting stance in WWII

I used to know an ex pilot that was in the Ferry command, transporting bombers from Canada to the U.K. They flew in civilian clothes and for some time were considered civilian.

I case they should have to land in Ireland.

Ireland was supposedly neutral in WW2..actually they were very pro-German..anybody that was fighting Britain was a friend in Ireland.

I've seen pictures of the Irish army in the 1940s..wearing the classic German helmets and well supplied by Germany. There was a plan to invade "northern Ireland" by Germany at one time..then repatriate the north back to the Republic of Ireland.

Skorzeny was acquitted of war crimes..for the most part...and if he had been really guilty, one of the many post-war covert assassination revenge teams would have found and killed him..like they did with Joachim Peiper. They knew where Skorzeny was living.

The Irish hated the Brits so much they were willing to dance with the devil. They are lucky the Germans didn't occupy the country because I'm sure the Irish would not have been treated any differently than any other German conquest. In fairness, a number of Irish citizens did join the fight against the Germans.

Originally Posted By: expat
Ireland took an interesting stance in WWII

I used to know an ex pilot that was in the Ferry command, transporting bombers from Canada to the U.K. They flew in civilian clothes and for some time were considered civilian.

I case they should have to land in Ireland.

The Irish were on the verge of home rule, when WW1 began. The British reneged, and conscripted Irishmen as cannon fodder.

Thus, the Easter Rebellion, which began as draft riots. Then, the Brits emptied the English prisons, using the worst of the worst convicts as "Volunteers" to quell the rebellion. These convicts were the "Black and Tans" because of the uniforms they were issued.

So....When WW2 came around, they took the view that "The enemy of our enemy is our friend." The British government certainly did nothing to make friends, in the free state.

Ireland was in an interesting position in WWII. Obviously they couldn't support Germany, but they couldn't support the United Kingdom either. I am of Irish heritage and grew up hearing how evil England was.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ireland was in an interesting position in WWII. Obviously they couldn't support Germany, but they couldn't support the United Kingdom either. I am of Irish heritage and grew up hearing how evil England was.

I was ten years old before I discerned that "Limeybastard" was actually two words.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I was ten years old before I discerned that "Limeybastard" was actually two words.

Yup, me too. Funny story, my Grandpa was a VP at Aero Spacelines and Tracor here at the Santa Barbara Airport. In the 80s, Queen Elizabeth II came to Santa Barbara to visit Ronald Reagan at the Western White House. She was supposed to come in on a yacht and everyone was asking him if he was going to go down to see her. His response was always "if the Queen wants to see me, she can come to my hanger." Well there ended up being too much rain for her to take the yacht in so they flew in and you can guess where they parked her plane. My mom got a phone call from him "GD Queen is in my GD hanger." You can guess what the GD stood for.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Yup, me too. Funny story, my Grandpa was a VP at Aero Spacelines and Tracor here at the Santa Barbara Airport. In the 80s, Queen Elizabeth II came to Santa Barbara to visit Ronald Reagan at the Western White House. She was supposed to come in on a yacht and everyone was asking him if he was going to go down to see her. His response was always "if the Queen wants to see me, she can come to my hanger." Well there ended up being too much rain for her to take the yacht in so they flew in and you can guess where they parked her plane. My mom got a phone call from him "GD Queen is in my GD hanger." You can guess what the GD stood for.

I can relate. In the late '60s, my parents toured Ireland, and made a stop back in London before heading home. The hotel clerk made a big deal about the queen had been traveling, but was back in the palace, just down the street, if my parents wanted to walk by. My father's retort was, "If she wants to see me, she can come here!" The clerk was not amuzed.

bdcardinal, that's a funny story.
crackmeup2.gif

My ex is Irish, as in O'Keeffe, Riordan, and Donovan. No, she doesn't have red hair...
56.gif

My grandmother lost a brother in France, during WW1. She always made it a point that he was in the U.S. army, not fighting for the limeybastards. The first was a point of pride, the second would have been scandalous, to her way of thinking.

Lol, interesting stuff. I grew up in a Scotch-Irish family and never heard those types of stories. But my grandparents were 2 generations removed from Europe. My grandfather on my Moms side was only one generation removed from Germany, he Hated Hitler and fought in WWII in the US Navy. While serving he blew up a German submarine and said his only regret in life was killing his brothers that were forced to fight for the Nazis.

He claimed he was limited in advancement opportunities with the Navy because of his VERY VERY VERY German sounding name. He grew up in a small German community in Iowa, he didn't learn English till he went to public school. Some of his Shipmates gave him crud until the occupation in Germany. They were in a bar in Berlin and some Germans were saying some nasty stuff about him and his buddies in German. He let them finish their thoughts and then proceeded to kick the crud out of two of them. His Shipmates apparently had his back and basically destroyed the bar. He was a brother to those guys after that, even with a really German name.

Last edited:
Well, it's all a matter of opinion and it's all relative. Look at our own country, USA, granting asylum and citizenship to former Nazi officer scientists like von Braun, after WWII. Just goes to show that no matter the crime, V1 and V2 rockets destroying English civilians, exceptions can be made.......

Secret Operation "Paperclip"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Lol, interesting stuff. I grew up in a Scotch-Irish family and never heard those types of stories. But my grandparents were 2 generations removed from Europe. My grandfather on my Moms side was only one generation removed from Germany, he Hated Hitler and fought in WWII in the US Navy. While serving he blew up a German submarine and said his only regret in life was killing his brothers that were forced to fight for the Nazis.

He claimed he was limited in advancement opportunities with the Navy because of his VERY VERY VERY German sounding name. He grew up in a small German community in Iowa, he didn't learn English till he went to public school. Some of his Shipmates gave him crud until the occupation in Germany. They were in a bar in Berlin and some Germans were saying some nasty stuff about him and his buddies in German. He let them finish their thoughts and then proceeded to kick the crud out of two of them. His Shipmates apparently had his back and basically destroyed the bar. He was a brother to those guys after that, even with a really German name.

Gee.....What sort of name do you suppose Eisenhower was?

Eisenhower doesnt have that ring to it that my family name has.

His middle name was Hans, and that was the most Americanized of his name! Dwight doesn't jump out at me as GERMAN!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Well, it's all a matter of opinion and it's all relative. Look at our own country, USA, granting asylum and citizenship to former Nazi officer scientists like von Braun, after WWII. Just goes to show that no matter the crime, V1 and V2 rockets destroying English civilians, exceptions can be made.......

Secret Operation "Paperclip"
You call Von Braun a "Nazi Officer" but he was never in the German military. Was he needed to help us stay with or ahead of the Russians...yes, did everybody in our "space" program love him....probably not.

This POS murdered a large number of American soldiers who had surrendered in the battle of the Bulge. There was a large group of them but a couple lived and ID'd him as the culprit. Word spread quickly and the GI's were incensed. From then on no German prisoners were taken alive. He and his unit went far behind American lines but ran out of fuel. They tried to walk back but were captured. I can't imagine how his "case" collapsed because the allies knew who he was and what he did. He also had connections to the death camps so I'm surprised the Jews didn't get him.
I've lost a lot of respect for Ireland.

Take a look at "Operation Paperclip", Von Braun was an SS officer in the Nazi military involved in the development and deployment of the V1 and V2 rockets that killed countless innocent civilians in England. In fact, before his capture, his team of scientists were working on long range missile development to strike US cities on the east coast.

As far as Ireland is concerned, if you read the whole article, you would know that the Irish peoples would not grant him a permanent visa. He had to stay in fascist Spain, where he was protected, until his death.

Last edited:
The British royal family changed their heritage family name from the German "Battenberg" or "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" to a very British sounding "Mountbatten" during WW1..it was the only thing the royals could do to support the war.

The British royals still hiding their German heritage

Whenever someone remarked about the royals in an Irish pub...someone would always retort..."a nice German family"
article-2697882-00BDEF3F00000190-925_634x891.jpg

Cousins: George V (right) in his German military uniform with Kaiser Wilhelm in 1913

By the time WW2 came around the general thinking was the royal family and the British were so hypocritical it really did not matter. Ireland formally remained neutral in the war to avoid a conflict or invasion by Britain. If hostilities did start with Britain..the Irish Republic would have had German support.

I was in County Cork years ago and saw an old royal navy base (Spike Island)that had been abandoned by Britain in the 1938. The locals would talk about the German U boats coming in and out during the war and using the old naval base as a depot for repairs and resupply.

There were similar stories in County Clare where the German sailors would take some R&R in local pubs during the war.

I would not be surprised if more than just one or two German officers made Ireland a home after WW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back