About HM oils..

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Valvoline MaxLife HM seems to be highly recommended for it's ability to slow RMS leaks. Does it have more seal sweller stuff than the other HM oils? I just did a MaxLife HM 5W-30 blend fill to see if it slows a RMS leak. If it works should I stay with the Valvoline HM or can I go to other brands?

thanks

If it works, it means it has restored pliability to your seals. This restoration doesn't last if treatment is withdrawn, so if you want the leak to remain sealed, stick with a HM oil. MaxLife seems to be good at this and is otherwise well-regarded, so if it works, I wouldn't switch.

I think you've answered your own question.
If Maxlife works in your situation, then why use anything else?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

This.

I think its a great value at WM and its Dexos (50/50 synthetic blend) approved. Cant go wrong.

I've been using M1 in my cars/trucks for a long time. This Nissan came with a RMS leak, never had to deal with one before. I didn't understand that if the leak stops it's not really fixed, you have to keep HM oil to keep it swelled. Which one of the additives conditons the seals? The high Moly # in the Pennzoil has to be a good thing right?

thanks

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stop Leak is mostly a straight seal conditioner that has plasticizers which expand hydraulic / rubber seals. Just add it to any regular or HM engine oil.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

I've been using M1 in my cars/trucks for a long time. This Nissan came with a RMS leak, never had to deal with one before. I didn't understand that if the leak stops it's not really fixed, you have to keep HM oil to keep it swelled. Which one of the additives conditons the seals? The high Moly # in the Pennzoil has to be a good thing right?

thanks

If you want to stay with Mobil1, give Mobil1 HM a try. It has extra seal conditioners as well.

Maxlife slowed a slight valve cover leak in my Focus. I switched to QS Defy and the leak seemed to go away. It could easily have been from the Maxlife and just took time, but it never came back. I have Quaker State full synthetic in the car now and now I get a slight burned oil smell when I open the hood. It started after only 1000 miles. I am going back to defy for my next change. The engine ran quieter, smoother and had no oil smell with it.

Last edited:
I used Pennzoil HM in my Accord last oil change- slowed my oil leak considerably. I ended up repairing the issue (distributor o-ring was hard as a rock) and switched to PP.

I didn't word my last question clearly; which element in the add pack in an HM oil is the seal conditioner? I have a bottle of AT-205 but thought I'd see if the Maxlife would do the job. Might as well put some in and speed it up if it's going to work.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
which element in the add pack in an HM oil is the seal conditioner?

I'm thinking it's some kind've ester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back