2007 Mustang passenger side water leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever have this issue on their Mustangs? I was in my gf's 07 and when I accelerated to leave my house,water literally started gushing out from under the dash on the passenger side,saturating the floorboard. It looked like a faucet turned on wide open. We got a crazy downpour rainstorm last night. It's pure rainwater,no chemical smell or feel whatsoever. I searched Google and found alot of threads and even a TSB on it. Way to go Ford!! They can't even build a rainproof car! Is this an issue the dealership has to fix for free since there's a TSB on it?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/20...html#post741068

Only recalls are mandated by law to be fixed; TSBs are just a bulletin outlining a specific problem; the dealer has no obligation to fix a problem in a TSB unless the vehicle is still under warranty.

What I would suspect first is a plugged drain line from the AC evaporator. The pan fills up, and when the car accelerates, it empties.

The recent rainstorm would mean plenty of water in the atmosphere to remove, and the AC runs when in defrost mode. Or Ford doesn't know how to seal up a car. One or the other.

I dont think it's a Mustang or A/C issue. More likely the water that drains down off the windshield is backing up because the drains are plugged up. The plastic grill between the windshield and the hood needs to be removed and all the debris needs to be cleaned out.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
What I would suspect first is a plugged drain line from the AC evaporator. The pan fills up, and when the car accelerates, it empties.

The recent rainstorm would mean plenty of water in the atmosphere to remove, and the AC runs when in defrost mode. Or Ford doesn't know how to seal up a car. One or the other.

That's exactly what happened. Only when I accelerated was when the water started pouring out. In my entire history of car ownership I've never had this happen. The trunk is always full of water after a rainstorm. My 20 year old Nissan has never leaked a single drop of water,not even through the t-tops.

Going to remove that plastic trim piece at the base of the windshield and see if I can figure anything out.

Here's what I found. I removed that cowling under the windshield and there's a filter box at the very left side of the upper firewall. There was this FILTHY square air filter looking thing that was just hanging there from that open box (I'm guessing there's supposed to be a cover that's somehow missing?). Anyway,I fished my hand around at the bottom and felt a bunch of leaves and debris. I forced it all through a hole at the bottom and suddenly water and debris started pouring on the ground from underneath the car.

I'm guessing the operation was a success?

Now,what's the best method to dry out the passenger side floorboard?

Wet Vac...Cloth and Paper Towels to soak it up. And being from Southern Texas I assume you could open up all the doors and let it dry out. Turn off the interior light of course. Running the A/C will help to.

Do the latest version of the TSB and that will fix the issue in the future. That "dirty air filter" is the cabin filter and should probably be changed. I changed the one on my 14 and it took me maybe 5 minutes following the FSM and using a puller to remove the wiper arms.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You have to pull the wiper arms to change the cabin air filters? that's nuts!

Well you can do it by just pulling the cowl cover and squeezing your hands in there. I prefer to take the wiper arms off and clean up everything while I am in there. I have the arm puller so why not use it.

Ahhh, OK, gotcha. I'm used to the BMW ones, which are just a couple spin or spring clips and they pull right out. The one on the Charger is more like the Mustang one, down inside an access panel.

Is there a cover that's missing that's supposed to snap over the filter housing? If so,I'm guessing it's a Ford dealership-only part?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is there a cover that's missing that's supposed to snap over the filter housing?

Not on yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back