Air filter recomendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any air filter recommendations? I know I preach how efficiency isn't everything with oil filters, but I feel the air filter is a bit different. I live in the country.. This means lots of dust floating around. I'd prefer something that's paper. No K&N or Airaid stuff.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Fram EG vs. the TG? Ironically my local WM has the TG a bit cheaper. They claim I can pick one up in store, but I have yet to see the TGs on the shelf.

Another option is the Napa ProSelect (I assume WIX made.) for $13.xx.

The TG seems to be a reboxed EG except US-made instead of China. The TG used to be yellow and was lightly oiled, but no more.

You should consider the Purolator PureOne if they make one for your car. It is still lightly oiled like the TG was, and the media is blue. The PA44727 is available on Amazon.

Yes, Napa Proselect is Wix-made.

Buy a nanofiber air filter.

Nanofiber technology makes air filters that trap 50 times as much dust (silicon) as a paper (cellulose) filter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanofiber

http://www.carid.com/injen-intakes/injen-air-filter-375948.html

AFTER running K&N air filters and having high silicon counts on my Oil Analysis, I switched to (Amsoil) nanofiber air filters and my silicon counts went from almost a thousand to 20 and under.

It doesn't matter where you live, silicon is in the air you and your engine breathe; and the two WORST things in your oil are iron and silicon.

Iron particles are literally your engine disintegrating (microscopically) and silicon is ROCK.

Over 90% of the Earth's crust is composed of silicate minerals, making silicon the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust (about 28% by mass) after oxygen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

If you want your vehicle to last, it needs clean oil AND CLEAN AIR.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Puro prices on Amazon are not bad,especially if you can dodge the sales tax.

AAP has it for the exact same price ironically. Tax will be included, but no shipping with site to store. Plus I could find a code.

Last edited:
The WIX I have on there now seems to be a good quality filter. It looks similar to an O'Reilly MicroGard, but with about twice the number of pleats.

Either Wix or Fram air filters. I picked up fram this time around since I picked them up for about $6 a piece. Wix was around $10.

No need to get worked up about an air filter, pick up a FRAM at Wally World and your good to go, I live in a dusty area and have had no problems running the FRAM
11.gif

I ended up going with the P1 because I liked the idea of the oily media. I was able to get it a few dollars more than the base Fram at WM with an AAP code. Seemed decently built. I have used WIX (being slightly more $$ unfortunately) and Fram before.. just wanted more opinions.

I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T, I like the sound of the Amsoil filter- and the product application guide says the EAA239 fits but I can't find that model for sale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bryn
I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T, I like the sound of the Amsoil filter- and the product application guide says the EAA239 fits but I can't find that model for sale

Just use OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back