Study: New York ranks # 2 in residents moving away

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of nice things about New York, both the state and the city.

But very high taxes, and companies/jobs moving out, make it hard to stay....

For me personally, the SAFE act would make NY a non-starter, but i doubt that's a factor in this trend...

We have overall the highest taxes in the country. The highest property and fuel taxes, and we're top ten for state income taxes. It's brutal.

Many of the public schools are top notch and the quality of life is generally high, but the social welfare benefits are excessive and easily abused. It's very disheartening for those of us that work and pay, while our able-bodied neighbors are on welfare for life.

Businesses are taxed equally high, and many move to friendlier states.

The tax savings would be equivalent to a $10,000 raise for me if I moved to Texas. I'm hoping to get out in the next two years.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
We have overall the highest taxes in the country. The highest property and fuel taxes, and we're top ten for state income taxes. It's brutal.

Many of the public schools are top notch and the quality of life is generally high, but the social welfare benefits are excessive and easily abused. It's very disheartening for those of us that work and pay, while our able-bodied neighbors are on welfare for life.

The tax savings would be equivalent to a $10,000 raise for me if I moved to Texas. I'm hoping to get out in the next two years.

Sounds just like Illinois....very upsetting. More takers than givers=citizens being fed up and leaving.

New York takes great care of the roads, has good schools, so in effect you get what you pay for. However, it would be very expensive if you're not paid extra to be there. But generally, the South pays less, so it's a wash.

Hey I want you to go to Queens and tell me people are moving out. I CANNOT BACK OUT OF A SPACE WITHOUT SOMONE WALKING BEHIND ME ALL HOURS OF THE DAY!! Queens reminds me of Hong Kong a place I visited once. Please advise me where in NYC are they moving out ok? And are they taking the bed bugs with them?????

Originally Posted By: Plumber
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Sounds just like Illinois....very upsetting. More takers than givers=citizens being fed up and leaving.

Here in Illinois we have some of best politicians money can buy.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
New York ranks No. 2 in residents moving away: Study shows.

I thought New York was a decent place to live / work.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/new_york_moving_away_united_van_lines.html

Lots of old folks retiring to warmer climes according to that study. They put in their time in their field, and yank up roots.

NY is a bit of a tough nut to crack for good-paying jobs, at least the larger cities. It's really more who you know than what you know. A lot of fields get really small really fast, even in more populated areas.

Pluses are generally good roads, good schools, and lots of "free" services that lots of people use. Summer concerts and other family activities, as well as a lot of well-maintained green spaces. Need a bathroom in a park? Odds are there is one nearby with stocked toilet paper and hand soap. Upstate doesn't have that bad of traffic yet. We do have lots of cheap and excellent wine to drown away the sorrows of the taxes, though!

Cons are high taxes in a lot of areas (even a "cheap" town in my county is still a $4500 tax bill for a 1500 sf house, and $9000-10,000 for the same house in the next town over), the weather, and everything is spread out.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
New York takes great care of the roads, has good schools, so in effect you get what you pay for. However, it would be very expensive if you're not paid extra to be there. But generally, the South pays less, so it's a wash.
No NY does not care of the roads. It is Jan. and the holes are starting to show up again. I know a guy who owns a wheel shop making tons on bent aluminum wheels. One of the worse area is Manhattan around mid 60's. Astoria has sewers sinking in ground creating craters like on the moon. It can be said NY has the best and worse of everything IMHO. I can get $10 for walking a dog for about a 15 minutes.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
High taxes tends to do that. I question how California is not listed as an outbound stste.

All that inbound migration from the south is taking care of that.

High taxes tends to do that. I question how California is not listed as an outbound stste.

California would be on the list except all the successful people moving out are replaced by illegals who have lots of kids.

Upstate NY does have high taxes relative to the value of the houses. The purchase prices are lower compared to everywhere else, so the monthly outlay is a wash. $1000-1300 a month for a 30 year fixed rate on a $120-150k house, which is a good bit of house around my area (Rochester, NY suburbs). That's principal, interest, taxes, and insurance. Elsewhere one would be paying more in principal, but less in taxes.

I lived in New York state for a short while.

One of the most highly controlled (government) places I've ever been. Fees/taxes on just about everything. I felt like I couldn't take a walk in the woods without paying somebody. Even garbage recycling was a nightmare of mandatory fees.

Maintained roads? Not hardly. Horrible potholes are common.

I remember the experience of just trying to get a drivers license. Antiquated procedures. Expensive...highly annoying...lazy, government employees.

Lots of towns I also found to be depressing in nature. Many boarded up old factories next to slums.

Even taking a trip to Niagara falls was a huge bummer. The only real attractive side was in Canada. It's like the U.S. side was almost a slum in parts. Sad.

The best thing I liked about NY state was the farms and rural areas of the upstate regions. Very pretty most of the year.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch

California would be on the list except all the successful people moving out are replaced by illegals who have lots of kids.

Sad but true.

Looks like I've moved from one dump hole (IL, #3) to another (MI, #14).

I'm just glad not to be paying $11K/year in property taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back