How Is Peak Conventional Motor Oil 5w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was offered a deal on peak engine oil 5w30 for about $1.40 a quart does anyone use this oil and is it any good ?
Does it have decent flow in the cold?

I have been using it for oil changes in my brother's Grand Caravan for about 30k miles now. I just changed his oil a week ago and it idles wonderfully at 242k and the motor has plenty of get up 'n' go. Not bad for $3 a 5.28 quart jug at AutoZone. Thanks 99Saturn!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Does it have decent flow in the cold?

wife's 01 celica gt sat at the airport parking lot for a week, it was snowed in when she came back to get her car, car didn't start on the first attempt for 3 minutes, she was freaking out...on the second attempt it started after a while.

(2 weeks old) New Gold Battery, it wasn't the battery for sure.
Cold Cranking Amps: 700 amps
Cranking Amps: 875 amps

I have been using PEAK conventional 5W30 motor oil since 2009 when I first discovered it by chance(Free after rebate 5qts w/filter). I have been using it on and off when I can get good prices like yourself.

I works great in the Western NY State & Central PA winters. Very cold and much below ZERO temps. Engines start fine!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: riggaz
If it was turning over normally and not firing then it was not the oil.

Wonder, what it was then.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: riggaz
If it was turning over normally and not firing then it was not the oil.

Wonder, what it was then.

After sitting for long periods of time(e.g. 1 week), it could have been fuel leak down! This requires turning the key on & off several time to cycle the fuel pump!

My daughter called me one time from Buffalo. She had been sick for 3 days and had to work from home. After the 3 day, she jumped into her car to go to work. The engine turned over fine(good battery/lots of power) but, the engine wouldn't start. She tried several times!

She was also parked(at her appt. parking spot) with the nose/front end upward. She usually had backed in her spot(nose down). This could cause leak down from the fuel rail.

I had here cycle the key/fuel pump 3-4 times and then turn the key and start...VROOOOOM! It started like a champ!

Has nothing to do with the oil! It was also winter and I believe there was Havoline 5W20 in the car at that time.

Last edited:
I believe PEAK motor oil is a WPP (Warren) product just like Walmart ST and many other private label oils. At $1.40
a quart you can't go wrong. It should be fine for normal OCI's.

From what I read, it seems like a great oil for the money.

To those of you looking, Oreillys had a 5 quart jug and WIX made MicroGard filter for $15 IIRC. Not sure if that deal is still going on or not.

I bought some Peak oil from Dollar General a few weeks ago (they had a BOGO special) and I have enough confidence in Peak motor oil that I recently dropped a brand new engine in my kid's car and I put Peak oil in it for the initial fill. I will drop it at 500 miles (needed to validate the warranty), cut open the Wix filter and inspect.
It runs great so far.

I think you can't go wrong with almost any conventional oil if your car calls for it and you intend on changing it at a reasonable interval consistently. It's when people let conventional oil go extended drain intervals do I see problems...going ten thousand miles and living in tough weather environments...lots of city driving, etc.

My brother in law used to work for Caddy, when I was considering the purchase of a CTS he told me that I would have to put a timing chain in any one of them that I purchased, because they all stretch. He said the only ones he saw NOT go bad, were the ones from the car rental place down the street from the dealer that would only run conventional oil in it. I think it had to do with people going off the OCI light...extending the drains too far and Caddy's losing oil between drains on the synthetic (he said a lot of them would come in low on oil).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Which oil company makes Peak oil ?

Isn't it Warren? Depending on your region, it could be the same brewer as Supertech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back