Longest lasting wash and wax in one

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Due to time commitments and other things, I'd like to have a wash and wax in one to use in a pinch when I don't have time to do a real coating of a wax or sealant.

I know full well that they are compromises, that they won't last the same way, etc. that said, a little extra something may be better than nothing, especially in the winter.

So what's the best/longest lasting one??

If I use a set of products, for example, meguiars waxes, would I be best off using a meguiars all in one? Would the same line of products be better?

Or is there one product that is just clearly better?

Thanks!

I don't think any of them really provide much. I'd go with a rinseless like duragloss or optimum no rinse wash and wax. Or just use a spray wax as a drying aid. Meg's ultimate quick wax is good for a month or so.

Wash as you normally would

Take a drying towel and use it to soak up as much water as you can. If it streaks, no biggie. It takes me literally 2 minutes to run a drying towel across the entire car since I don't care how good I really dry the car.

Spray Duragloss Aqua Wax Wax all over the car. Take a clean dry microfiber towel and wipe the spray wax (and any residual water you missed). In the process, you'll have spread the aqua wax across the entire car to give it that extra protection for the paint.

Duragloss Aqua Wax is pretty good stuff - it makes metallic flakes literally pop. Protection lasts several months. I've used it and also used meg's ultimate quik wax (can be purchased in bulk gallons as D15601 synthetic x-press) and both are good, but I prefer aqua wax because it seemed to be slicker and also smells [censored] good.

If you use it every other wash, you will be more than good.

The longest lasting wash/wax combo that I have find, is to wash with your favorite car wash and then do a quick final wipedown using Optimum Car Wax. I consistently get 3 months out of a single application if it is applied to clean, uncontaminated paint.

With that said, I do alternate between Optimum Car Wax and D156 depending on the car, and I do find that Optimum Car Wax can sometimes be a bit finicky in warm weather.

If you wait for the right promotions, you'll pay about $38/gal shipped for Optimum Car Wax.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Where does one find the DG product?

Carquest Auto parts stores. Call them to see if in stock. If not ask if they can order it. Heard NAPA auto parts may be able to order it.
Myself using DG 105 Duragloss Total Performance Polish for last 5 years. Use a little, goes on easy and comes off easy with no powder.
They have a whole line of different products.

Last edited:
AquaWax will for sure last until you wash again. You can use too much of it. I'd only use it 1/month -- as it easily lasts that long.

I have no experience or interest with wash and wax, but lots of experience with wax-as-u-dry products. In your case I recommend using both. I have tried 5 different ones on my cars, but my cars are well waxed.

The closest experience I'd have to your unprotected paint would be on my wheels which aren't waxed. I use wax-as-u-dry on them during the drying process and as a quick cleaner when I check tire pressures.

I have used the Eagle One, Mothers, Turtle Wax and Meguairs (maroon bottle) and Meguairs Ultimate Quik. They all seem to last as long as the other, but two seem to stand out since they have a tenacious bond on my finger. It's Turtle Wax Wax-As-U-Dry and Meguairs Ultimate Quik Wax.

The Meguairs as it dries you can feel the wrinkles seemingly shrink. It's as if it's interlocking. With both even after I wash my hands and take a shower. I can still smell the product. None of that is a good benchmark of how long it'll last on your paint, but at least those two will resist soap well.

If I had to choose all over again, I'd just stick with the Turtle Wax Wax-As-U-Dry. They give you 32oz for $5. The Meguairs is 16oz for $9. I'd use the Turtle Wax liberally instead of being stingy with Meguairs.

I have also used them to 'wax' the positive terminal on my battery. I just spray it carefully and let it dry. All of them seem worked pretty well. None lasted as long as Plasti-Dip. Of course the proper solution is to use those felt terminal covers, but it was still 'fun' to test.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I don't think any of them really provide much. I'd go with a rinseless like duragloss or optimum no rinse wash and wax. Or just use a spray wax as a drying aid. Meg's ultimate quick wax is good for a month or so.

Agreed. I use the Duragloss rinseless which has their excellent spray wax in it--but it's only spray wax. I'm a little embarrassed to say I applied additional Duragloss spray wax last Sunday. Even so, it was only an extra five minutes to the process. I suspect there are spray waxes that are more durable. But when you think about, it durabiity is pretty unimportant for a spray wax. It just has to make it to the next wash.

You order Duragoss online from say, autogeek. I understand the company will ship directly for cheap, but there are no tracking numbers or anything like that.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Eagle makes a wax as you dry, so that would save you another step.

All of those spray waxes seem the same to me, same with quick detail sprays.

I use wax as you dry. It wont replace a traditional wax but it does a nice job considering how quick it is. As mentioned in prior posts, I quickly dry the car then spray each section and dry the remaining water with a new towel or microfiber. Nice shine and decent durability.

Ha. This is going to make me sound dumb. But I have been loving Armor All's Extreme Shield Wax. There I said it. It lasts for easily three months in east coast weather and allows me to do just a wash. It beads forever.

I can't comment on depth or shine or anything like that but the stuff beads forever and application is wipe on wipe off.

And yes, I'm no pro, just someone who likes things easy.

Oops, thought you meant something else.

Ive used armor all wash and wax and just recently got rainx for a gift. It has wax beads in it and did well, but i dont think they leave any thing behind besides a clean finish.

Originally Posted By: sipman
Ha. This is going to make me sound dumb. But I have been loving Armor All's Extreme Shield Wax. There I said it. It lasts for easily three months in east coast weather and allows me to do just a wash. It beads forever.

I can't comment on depth or shine or anything like that but the stuff beads forever and application is wipe on wipe off.

And yes, I'm no pro, just someone who likes things easy.

You are NOT DUMB. You are very SMART. Armor All's Extreme Shield Wax has quickly become one of my favorites. It lasts well over a year in many of my family member's and friend's cars and like you mentioned it's beyond easy and fast to use. For a sedan, once you get a method down you can wax your car in 15 mins after every wash. I just slather it on with my hand and wipe with the other. Though it's completely unnecessary since it lasts so long.

It is not a pretty wax, but shine doesn't come from wax anyhow. There are reviews that whine about it's smoothness and yes, after the 1st application it feels rough, but after your 1st wash it's smooth. It gives you the idea that the wax washed off, but it's still there. It literally repels water coming off your hose. I get a feeling that the 1st application requires many hours to give it time to REALLY dry, which you then follow through to wipe off more excess wax.

It's a great wax. Pros will often scoff, but who-the-f-cares. Pros want your money and will do their best to make their methods/means sound like rocket science to get your business. Luckily in this information age, it's easier to learn the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back