1991 Buick Park Avenue oil change info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all goes well, we should be expecting the 1991 Park Avenue to arrive this coming week. I just bought the oil and filter, as well as air filter, Techron, and P/S fluid for it...along with some leather conditioner
wink.gif
Went with Quaker State Defy 10w30 syn blend and a Fram TG. Anyway, I am trying to find out what size filter wrench this thing takes, as well as the location of the filter. Is it easily accessible? Again this is on a 1991 Park Avenue with the 3800 Series I L27. Filter is a TG 3387a.

If I'm not mistake the filters are small, the oil filter will be located between the fire wall and the passaged tire. Its a pain to get to atleast on my Regal.

I find the easiest way to get to it is by turning the tires all the way to the left then sticking your arm threw the wheel well into the engine compartment.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
If I'm not mistake the filters are small, the oil filter will be located between the fire wall and the passaged tire. Its a pain to get to atleast on my Regal.

I find the easiest way to get to it is by turning the tires all the way to the left then sticking your arm threw the wheel well into the engine compartment.

What size wrench does the drain plug take? Also, can you access the oil filter with the car up on ramps?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

What size wrench does the drain plug take? Also, can you access the oil filter with the car up on ramps?

I think its a 15-16 I don't known for certain I just keep it on the wreck.

Yes you can get to it but its a pain.

Can anybody confirm the drain plug wrench size? Our Uplander is a 13mm, I will have to buy the wrench if its different.

Most GM's i've come across use a 15mm wrench for the drain plug. But honestly can't really help you on that part because if someone has replaced the plug along the way it could have a different size head.

Can anybody confirm the drain plug wrench size? Our Uplander is a 13mm, I will have to buy the wrench if its different.

You don't have a set of wrenches??

Can anybody confirm the drain plug wrench size? Our Uplander is a 13mm, I will have to buy the wrench if its different. [/quote]

You don't have a set of wrenches?? [/quote]

I know I know, I am a horrible BITOGER. Confession time. I only started wrenching a year or so ago so I dont have a whole lot. Havent needed to buy anything either.

I've got two of these (SAE and metric):

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-1-metric-wrench-65497.html

I've found them very handy for oil changes, especially if you're not sure of the drain plug size.

If you would like a complete set of wrenches, I would recommend these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=pittsburg+long+handle+wrenches

The long handle works better than the shorter ones for removing drain plugs, (especially if "Hercules" did the last oil change).

Be sure to check the "Harbor Freight" website for sales/coupons before you buy as usually you can get them cheaper than their listed price.

You don't have a set of wrenches??

I know I know, I am a horrible BITOGER. Confession time. I only started wrenching a year or so ago so I dont have a whole lot. Havent needed to buy anything either. [/quote]

No Excuses! 50 push-ups, right now.
Then go buy a good set of SAE & Metric wrenches.

Last edited:
Versatile cheap set - I like the minimal movement ratchet:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_607976-22029-86777_4294857647%2B4294965883

Ought to be 15mm. Oil filter is located above the frame rail on the passenger side, toward the firewall. This application should be easier to get at than a Regal or other W-body since it's built on the larger H-body platform.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Ought to be 15mm. Oil filter is located above the frame rail on the passenger side, toward the firewall. This application should be easier to get at than a Regal or other W-body since it's built on the larger H-body platform.

I think it is a 15 but for some odd reason none of my 15's fit so I have to use a 16 on my car. Which is slightly loose. I'll have to replace the plug.

I honestly do think its a 15 but when I went and checked I use a 16.

Did you mean 14mm, or really 14"?

As Billy Fuccillo would say, "IT'S HUUUUUGGGGEE!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back