Are Oil Additives A Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 98 Dodge Dakota Sport in August. I've noticed what sounds like a knocking sound. I've repaired the passenger side exhaust manifold studs/bolts/nuts and added a gasket; these Mopars are known for broken exhaust manifold fasteners. I know that's not the source of the sound. I haven't inspected the valvetrain yet. I'm leaning toward thinking the valves/rocker arms need adjusting or it might be a worn timing chain tensioner. The noise seems quieter in humid weather. I'm wondering if I can add an oil treatment when I next change the oil/filter that will quiet this sound? I don't want to damage the engine with or without introducing a product to the engine. I've seen mixed advice on several forums about the use/effectiveness of oil treatments. Is there a safe, effective product on the market made to help this? The engine has 70K miles on it and it consumes about a half quart every 1K miles. Thanks.

70k miles in 17years..my guess is that either alot of short trips or it has sat for a long time. Sounds like your lifters arent 'pumping up' well due to varnishes and possibly a little sludge.

I would run a flush through it, then pennzoil yellow bottle 5W30 for a 3000 mile cleanup.

Add a bottle of techron concentrate to the gas also..im sure with that few of miles there is varnishes and gums throughout.

Possibly a good candidate for an italian tuneup as well.

PYB has enough detergents which is what you are needing right now. You may use some MMO if u like.

Originally Posted By: OnlySon
I've seen mixed advice on several forums about the use/effectiveness of oil treatments. Is there a safe, effective product on the market made to help this?

Not really

To the title of your post, I was going to answer
"if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"

But if you DO have a problem, and it sounds like you do, some people will try a pour in wonder additive if they do not have the time, money or inclination to get to the route of the problem mechanically.

I went this route when I bought a Toyota truck with stuck rings, that had been in long term storage (20+ years)

For me, I tried Auto Rx (with no effect) before finally 'getting lucky' with a pint of MMO in the oil.

Your results may vary, but as far as I know both of these products are normally considered 'safe'
At least, the first product is only likly to damage your wallet
whistle.gif

You might try Rislone.
Some members have reported good results with this product in freeing sticky lifters.
A little chemical intervention shouldn't hurt anything and might just help.
If not, then you're no worse off than you were.

An Italian tune-up? That doesn't sound good. Does it involve being pushed off of a dock in the middle of the night?

An Italian tune-up? That doesn't sound good. Does it involve being pushed off of a dock in the middle of the night?

Fugetaboutit
15.gif

I bought a 98 Dodge Dakota Sport in August. I've noticed what sounds like a knocking sound. I've repaired the passenger side exhaust manifold studs/bolts/nuts and added a gasket; these Mopars are known for broken exhaust manifold fasteners. I know that's not the source of the sound. I haven't inspected the valvetrain yet. I'm leaning toward thinking the valves/rocker arms need adjusting or it might be a worn timing chain tensioner. The noise seems quieter in humid weather. I'm wondering if I can add an oil treatment when I next change the oil/filter that will quiet this sound? I don't want to damage the engine with or without introducing a product to the engine. I've seen mixed advice on several forums about the use/effectiveness of oil treatments. Is there a safe, effective product on the market made to help this? The engine has 70K miles on it and it consumes about a half quart every 1K miles. Thanks.

Use quality oil and forget the additives. Especially MMO. The snake of snake oils.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Most on here will suggest spending your time isolating the source of the noise and addressing that.

Yep; an oil additive will not repair a mechanical problem, if one exists.

It could be a lifter not pumping up, or something more serious. Any chance putting a sound file in a post so we can have a listen?

First you have to determine if its a knock or a lifter ticking. If its a lifter you could give Kreen or Rislone a try before tearing into it, you might get lucky if its dirt plugging up a lifter.

I don't hear it while idling or even revving the engine in P or N. It almost sounds like a diesel clatter. It does it at about 2K RPM and higher. I had an '83 Regal say, 25 years ago, with a 3.9L engine and it made the same noise.

"sounds like a diesel clatter"

this is pointing towards detonation "spark knock"

Low octane fuel. If the gas has sat in the tank for a long time the octane reduces with time/oxygen.

I think adding additives sometimes is a good idea yes..

often i'll add a bottle of SLOB to my AFE or a can of MoS2 to give it a edge on wear, not like it needs it but IMO its beneficial in my applications.

You were right about it sitting for a long time. I pulled the vehicle history report I ran against the VIN and there was a 5.5 year period between 3/07 and 8/12 where it shows it was only driven 45 miles. So unless someone tampered with the odometer, it sat for a long time. It could definitely have some sludge around the valve-train. Overall, it is reliable. Thanks for all who have offered advice.

When I first heard the clatter I ran two tanks of Chevron 92/93 octane through it but it continued to clatter. I gave up on the higher octane and have gone back to 87 at Shell. Are some engines just prone to be noisy? We had an 02 Durango with a 4.7L. That was a strong engine and it ran great for ten years until the insurance company bought it from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back