Myths of the Multi Vehicle ATF - 2013 article link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article. I found it interesting that the writer suggested towards the end of the article that a single fluid could cover both Dex 6 and Mercon LV (both low-viscosity).

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Good article. I found it interesting that the writer suggested towards the end of the article that a single fluid could cover both Dex 6 and Mercon LV (both low-viscosity).

That's because they already exist. FOr example, Mag 1 Low-Vis ATF carries formal approval for both Dexron VI and Mercon LV. Licensed by both GM and Ford.

Mag 1 Low Vis spec sheet

20140210175314_MAG1_MV_LV_ATF.jpg

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

That's because they already exist. FOr example, Mag 1 Low-Vis ATF carries formal approval for both Dexron VI and Mercon LV. Licensed by both GM and Ford.

Mag 1 Low Vis spec sheet

20140210175314_MAG1_MV_LV_ATF.jpg

Who knew! That's interesting stuff.

And BMW is Dex VI....I would bet a lunch you won't see them saying it ok!!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

? Why would they say no to a licensed product?

A couple of things here:

1. Any Afton rep has a stake in his company's control of the DexVI formulation and licensing. They developed this fluid in concert with GM.

2. There is a hypcritic theme here. If Multi-Vehicle fluids are so bad then why do they continue to sell multi-vehicle PI packages to formulators and blenders?

3. I agree that top treating with conversion fluids is a no-no that is no longer necessary, and in my view, was never necessary if the proper fluid was used. Many fast lube shops and some transmission shops often did this to save money on inventory. LubeGard (ILI) and Life Automotive were two of the major companies selling ATF conversion products.

4. I don't see Multi-vehicle fluids waning anytime soon. Look at the success of Valvoline's MaxLife ATF, which was co-developed with Lubrizol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Profit.

I was surprised that the CVT and DCT have increased so much in 5 years...

What about fluid for MT? Do we know if multi vehicle fluids are also an issue?

I don't know about 'multi-vehicle' ATFs but my Elanta runs awesomely on Maxlife and LG Red.

I think Lubegard Red (not the 'conversion' products) is an excellent additive that gives ATF added ability to combat heat...I have used it in every AT I've owned in the past 10 or 15 years and have never had a transmission issue...

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
And Royal Purple Max ATF, though super pricey, is amazing in basically every vehicle the bottle says that it can go in.

I never get to see one. What does it say? I've relied on the MaxLife for years now. F150, BMW 328, Armada, and my 20 year old Camry. So far so good.

Interesting in comparison to the 2006 Valvoline Presentation that Molakule introduced here.

Link to presentation.

According to Valvoline, Afton were the sole supplier of the DexVI additive package, so any approved product HAD to use Afton additives.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Profit.

+1

Originally Posted By: Icecube

Increasing CVT usage should be no surprise at all due to fuel economy concerns.

Ford and VW have been pushing the DCT heavily as well.

MT fluid isn't nearly as big of an issue because most manual transmission fluids don't ever need to be changed (they don't get as hot as automatics get), many of them use automatic transmission fluid, and the ones that don't just use gear oil or motor oil. Manual transmissions aren't nearly as complicated as autos. And also the market share of manuals is really, really small.

MT fluid isn't nearly as big of an issue because most manual transmission fluids don't ever need to be changed (they don't get as hot as automatics get), many of them use automatic transmission fluid, and the ones that don't just use gear oil or motor oil. Manual transmissions aren't nearly as complicated as autos. And also the market share of manuals is really, really small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back