Honda not recommending 0W20 in all 5W20 apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think there is good reasoning behind this or can all 5W20 applications use 0W20? I'm running Subaru 0W20 in my 265K mile 2001 Accord 4 cyl. Should I quit doing it?

No reason to not run 0w20 in a 5w20 application unless you're under warranty and you'd like less pain from Honda in the event of a warranty claim.

Where do they say they don't recommend 0w20?

Is it Honda recommending it, or a dealer? I have heard some absolutely hilarious things come out the collective mouths of service writers.

I've seen honda's oil application charts show that:

http://www.invergrovehonda.com/oil-application-chart.htm

I can't think of a good reason not to allow 0W20 for all the spots they spec 5W20. Maybe it's a cost saving measure to allow cheaper 5W20 conventional? I still don't see why they wouldn't at least list that 0W20 is "acceptable"

I would have no issue running a 0W20 in any car that allows for 5W20.

Just before I signed the papers on my 14 Ram 5.7L Hemi-->I talked to the Service Mgr about using nothing but M1 0W-20 with a Fram Ultra filter & He had NO issue with it...

He told me he would actually prefer 0W-20. Esp if the Ram was kept outside the garage in the winter. Mine is kept in the garage but just knowing I have 0W-20 in the oil pan is piece of mind.

I will say! On the Ram and Hemi forums it stirs up all kinds of Drama when I post I use M1 AFE 0W-20 and Have NO so called Hemi Tick!

If you tore apart engines for a living the past past 45 years, (thousands and thousands) you wouldnt be using a 0W-20 ever. not going to start a war. just the facts. "Other than cold start cranking, the thicker oils make the engines last longer and look better at teardown" PERIOD

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Is it Honda recommending it, or a dealer? I have heard some absolutely hilarious things come out the collective mouths of service writers.

From the Honda chart EdwardC posted above. My Accord has never had any service by anyone other than me since the warranty expired.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
If you tore apart engines for a living the past past 45 years, (thousands and thousands) you wouldnt be using a 0W-20 ever. not going to start a war. just the facts. "Other than cold start cranking, the thicker oils make the engines last longer and look better at teardown" PERIOD

Could you give a list of 0w20 oils you seen from tear downs say 25 years ago should be easy since you have seen thousands in you life time.

Most car owners, and particularly the ones who's engines ever get torn down, don't even know what kind of oil was run in their engines. How can engine shops that tear down thousands of engines be able to correlate oil used?

Shotgun:--->>>>>> Show Us those Documented So Called Facts!!! Word of Mouth means Squat!! I myself have seen Engines tore down which used M1 AFE 0W-20 with over 200K miles and had NO virtual engine wear... Oil Pan and Heads were spotless.... Very Little Varnish and NO Sludge... Research and Thousands of UOA have proven your post to be Fudge!

Your post in my opinion is Total [censored]!!!

No disrespect my friend...but you really need to check your premise on that.

Absolutely zero facts or data to support your argument.

If we all listened to our mechanics oil reccomendations, a fair portion of our cars would be subjected to improper lubrication applications.

Oh boy.......
36.gif

Could you recommend an oil and weight for my car? I'll run out quick and buy it once I get your expert opinion...
Really.....
grin2.gif

I guess my 2008 Pilot will grenade any moment as the 0w20 M1 in it will clearly make it fall apart.

Or, I'll just ignore this thread and continue using it.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I guess my 2008 Pilot will grenade any moment as the 0w20 M1 in it will clearly make it fall apart.

According to the chart, unless "acceptable" means its OK if the engine grenades, you should be good.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

According to the chart, unless "acceptable" means its OK if the engine grenades, you should be good.

Congrats on my new signature!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back