Lubro-Moly Anti-friction additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/B:TRIL.0000017425.30616.8a#page-1

Interesting article describing the functional differences between MoDTC, MoDTP, MoS2 and Graphite + how they work together.

I wish I could see the whole thing, but not paying $40,- to find out what I already know.

Old thread I know, but this seems to be on of the longer ones

I did my 2nd oil change using a full can of LM Moly in my 5 qt. Honda S2000. That makes 1 full can at each oil change during the last 12 months. 5 QTS of Mobil 1 10w-30 and 300ml of LM Moly. MY gas mileage during my recent freeway drive of 110 mi. today 60-75 mph was 30.5 MPG. The best mileage ever. Car has 65,000 mi. I am a full believer in LM Moly additive.

Last edited:
I got access to the article above in Jetronic's link. The paper is about the the effect of graphite and dispersant in the presence of soluble moly. They did not use MoS2 in the formulation. MoS2 shows up in the article as a product of the soluble moly after tribofilm formation. The bottom line is that graphite provided for reduced friction and reduced wear but required a dispersant and had to be used in a narrow range of concentration. The abstract is below for anyone interested.

Tribology Letters
Volume 17, Issue 1, July 2004, Pages 55-59
Effect of graphite on friction and wear characteristics of molybdenum dithiocarbamate (Article)

Yamamoto, Y.a , Gondo, S.a, Tanaka, N.b

a Dept. of Mechanical Eng. Science, Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University, Kyushu, Japan
b Organic Chemicals Res./Devmt. Lab., Asahi Denka Kogyo K.K., Japan

Abstract:
The effects of graphite powder on the friction and wear characteristics of molybdenum dithiocarbamate MoDTC were studied in reciprocated sliding contact using a ball-on-plate type tester. The oil used was squalane, a pure hydrocarbon. The addition of MoDTC alone to the oil showed a high coefficient of friction at an early stage of a rubbing test, since the extent of the formation of a surface film containing MoS2 was insufficient to decrease the coefficient of friction. The high friction at the early stage brought about noticeable wear. On the other hand, the addition of graphite powder together with succinimide-type dispersant to the oil containing MoDTC considerably improved the friction and wear performance not only at the early stage but also at the steady stage. The added graphite powder seems to cover the part of rubbing surfaces without a film containing MoS2 to reduce the friction and wear, not only at the steady stage after the running-in process, but also in the running-in process or at the early stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back