Question on Ford Mustang TPMS sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I recently bought some 19" take off wheels and tires off of a 2014 Mustang GT to replace the factory 18" wheels and tires on my 14 GT. The seller of the 19" wheels didn't know whether the TPMS sensors were still inside the tires as they were from a wheel shop and he wasn't the original owner of the wheels and never ran them on anything(he owns a salvage yard).

Does anyone know of a way to determine if the sensors are present without breaking down the tires off the wheel? I know Ford has an electronic reset tool to reset the sensors but I can't find any information on whether or not this tool can be used to determine the presence of a sensor without going through the reset procedure.

I don't want to install these wheels on the car if the sensors are not inside since they will all have to be broken down and new sensors installed or re-use my old ones. Thanks.

Wayne

What tires are on the wheels? The 19" wheels had Pirelli P-Zeros, and you could make the assumption that if they are on, the sensors are there. They use the sensors with rubber valve stems so it is hard to tell for sure.

One way to tell, is to take it to a tire shop that has a handheld TPMS sensor reader. Most tire shops will have these devices, and when you hold the device near the tire, it will display the sensor ID. If the tool cannot read the sensor ID, then you would know that a sensor is not present.

http://www.ateq-tpms.com/vt30-tpm-id-reader/

Break a bead. You only need a tire machine to peel said bead off the rim. Just put the tire/wheel on the ground under a car, put a jack on top of the up-facing sidewall, and have a vehicle frame over the top of the jack. Compress and look inside. Since you won't unseat the far bead, the near bead will re-inflate quite easily as you can manipulate it up close to the rim flange.

The cheezy screw jacks that come with cars are perfect for this exercise as they have stamped metal bottoms with rolled edges that are gentle on the tire, and they usually start at a height of about 2 inches so they fit.

The rims have the factory 245/45/19 Pirelli P-Zero all season tires on them.

The place I bought the wheels and tires from has a sensor reader but he said that it didn't pick up any signs that there was sensors in them. I will download a TPMS phone app and see what I can find out. Thanks everyone for all of the ideas.

Wayne

Even if they have sensors you'll end up most likely having to have them trained with the tool. Press brake 5 times and hazards on off on off on off is the procedure then lf wheel rf rr lr. Easiest way to see if they do is break the bead or install left front wheel on car start training mode and with that tool see if it'll train. If it does the horn will honk.

Thanks for the info. I tried downloading a TPMS download app on to my phone but didn't get anything when I held it near the tires so either I didn't know how to run the app or there are no sensors installed.

I received my new sensors and reset tool today so now I have to take it somewhere to get them installed.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back