Longer drains on m1 vs pp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does there seem to be more confidence on the forum with m1 than pp on longer OCI such as 8k or more?

I haven't seen much use of the new Pennzoil Platinum on here, maybe everyone's scared since it's made from natural gas or something. I'm running it in my grandpa's '96 Jeep Cherokee and it's as happy as can be. Being such a new oil there's probably not enough use of it and UOA's to determine how things are doing in extended drain intervals to put the two side by side and compare.

Used to, but not any more.

M1 has gone down in the ACEA ratings; none of their 20's meet ACEA standards anymore, and the 30's have gone down from A5/B5 to just A1/B1.

Meanwhile, PP 5w30 is now good for A5/B5 applications.

ACEA's sequences are designed for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

M1 has gone down in the ACEA ratings; none of their 20's meet ACEA standards anymore, and the 30's have gone down from A5/B5 to just A1/B1.

Interesting, was this the newest version of pp? I

I just checked my stash and that seems to be incorrect ratings. My bottle of castrol edge 10w30 gold bottle, m1 5w30, and pppp 5w30 all have the same acea rating. I checked a non pure plus PP bottle that is around a year old and it is not a acea a5/b5 rating.

Last edited:
Law of averages. You read more about M1 because the oil is the most popular. I would run P4 out to 10k w/o UOA in one of my applications.

Originally Posted By: stygz
Interesting, was this the newest version of pp?

Yes. The pure plus.

I just checked my stash and that seems to be incorrect ratings. My bottle of castrol edge 10w30 gold bottle, m1 5w30, and pppp 5w30 all have the same acea rating. I checked a non pure plus PP bottle that is around a year old and it is not a acea a5/b5 rating.

Check the newest bottles on store shelves, and also M1's website. No more A5/B5. Thankfully, Castrol still meets it.

Just looked at a new bottle and no A5 B5 on m1 5w30. Would that rating be for the corvette? The EP does not have it either on the actual bottle.

Yes. The pure plus.

Check the newest bottles on store shelves, and also M1's website. No more A5/B5. Thankfully, Castrol still meets it.

I was in our Walmart today. The Advanced Fuel Efficiency 0W-30 5 qt. jugs had both A1/B1 and A5/B5 on the label. The M1 5W-30 and 10W-30 jugs had the A1/B1 and A5/B5 as well.

On Mobil's website, AFE 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10w-30 all have A1/B1 and A5/B5 listed in the specs.

The EP 5W-30 and 10W-30 only have A1/B1 listed, which is interesting because the EP oils are marketed as being the extended drain oils with the 15,000 mi or one year intervals.

Originally Posted By: njohnson

Yes. The pure plus.

I was in our Walmart today. The Advanced Fuel Efficiency 0W-30 5 qt. jugs had both A1/B1 and A5/B5 on the label. The M1 5W-30 and 10W-30 jugs had the A1/B1 and A5/B5 as well.

On Mobil's website, AFE 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10w-30 all have A1/B1 and A5/B5 listed in the specs.

The EP 5W-30 and 10W-30 only have A1/B1 listed, which is interesting because the EP oils are marketed as being the extended drain oils with the 15,000 mi or one year intervals.

I also found some 0w30 with A5 B5 at another store but 5w30 did not. I wonder if the newer bottles do not state A5 B5 anymore.

Originally Posted By: njohnson

Yes. The pure plus.

The way i understand it is the the difference is high performance vs regular use

If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then the proof of an oil's useful life is in the UOAs.
Plenty of long-drain UOAs of PP in that forum showing that the oil is equal to any run M1 would be capable of.
There can be no systematic preference for either oil based upon the evidence that we have available.
SOPUS doesn't promote long drains for its oils, while XOM does.
You could say that PP is a 10K oil while Ultra might be a 15K oil, as XOM does with M1 and M1 EP.
Problem is that there are UOAs posted here that show that neither M1 oil is that capable in certain engines with certain uses.
XOM is making what may be a misleading claim, while SOPUS simply refrains from making any claims at all.
I doubt that there are any real differences in the quality or capability of M1 versus PP or Ultra.
I'd run either maker's oil without doubt and without concern.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Regular M1 is "guaranteed" for 10k miles.

PP isn't.

Just went to Mobil's site and didnt see it anywhere that they guarantee it for 10,000 miles. Did I miss something?

Edit: are you referring to the limited warranty where they say 10,000 miles or the cars oem oci's?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back