Changing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can there be any negative effects changing oil brands? For example pp uses a different additive package than m1. Would the remaining oil from an oil change even make a difference? It seems I read an analysis that made a note about an oil brand change.

Originally Posted By: stygz
It seems I read an analysis that made a note about an oil brand change.

If one is jumping around brands, viscosities, or product lines, getting proper trended UOAs isn't going to work. That's one negative.

At times, we've seen UOAs showing more rapid TBN depletion when running a new oil for the first time. Is it a result of additive clash? Maybe. But is it a negative? Possibly only if you were planning to run a very long OCI.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
At times, we've seen UOAs showing more rapid TBN depletion when running a new oil for the first time. Is it a result of additive clash? Maybe. But is it a negative? Possibly only if you were planning to run a very long OCI.

I wonder if running a 5-15 minute engine flush eg. (Amsoil, Lubegard)would help prevent this..

Originally Posted By: richport29
I wonder if running a 5-15 minute engine flush eg. (Amsoil, Lubegard)would help prevent this..

Why would you waste money on this? Just don't run a super long OCI on your first new oil fill and there is nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: richport29

Why would you waste money on this? Just don't run a super long OCI on your first new oil fill and there is nothing to worry about.

Supposedley to drain out more of the previous fill. Less chance of having conflicting additives.

There is bound to be some additive conflict. I run a minimum of two OC of the same oil, but usually more before I switch. How much conflict? In the end it probably doesn't matter....but I "feel" better. LOL

It seems I read an analysis that made a note about an oil brand change.

To me some of their comments seem anecdotal. They might be influenced by what information you give them.

Can there be any negative effects changing oil brands? For example pp uses a different additive package than m1. Would the remaining oil from an oil change even make a difference? It seems I read an analysis that made a note about an oil brand change.

As to the root of the question...

"CAN" there be ?

Yes there can, and they CAN be nasty, but fortunately are extremely rare... e.g.
http://papers.sae.org/2000-01-2944/

Quote:
A taxi field test in 1999 resulted in unusually high used oil MRV TP-1 viscosity in the first 16,000-kilometer drain oil. A subsequent root cause investigation revealed that contamination of the test oil by carry-over of the factory-fill oil followed by oil aging in the vehicle was responsible for the unusual high MRV TP-1 viscosity. Contamination by the factory-fill oil alone cannot account for the high MRV TP-1 viscosity; oil aging in vehicles is an essential co-factor. While the precise mechanism has not been determined, high MRV TP-1 viscosity and yield stress appear to be the consequence of reduction in PPD effectiveness but not PPD degradation. However, the MRV TP-1 viscosity and yield stress of such used oil can be restored to acceptable levels by an optimized PPD system. The study found that used oil MRV TP-1 pumping viscosity and yield stress can be highly dependent on the viscosity index improvers used in the oils involved. However, oil robustness can be enhanced by a rigorous field test protocol.

But it's rare, even if it DOES affect the cold cranking end of the spectrum, how many operate their vehicles that cold ? (I can't even test the limits of 15W around here).

Also, as Quattro Pete points out, sometimes there's other evidence, like TBN.

Member KCJeep found that two oils when mixed don't always play nice.

Like I said it's rare, and it can happen.

Adding an oil flush means that you've now got some (small) part of an old, used oil, the majority of new oil, and now an amount of (typically) solvent to further confuse the issue...I wouldn't.

I wonder if manufacturers factor this into their recommended intervals ie the possibility that the new oil is going to be a different formulation to the removed oil.

I almost never use the same brand for 2 intervals in a row. Every engine in my fleet is spotless inside. I've got a Milwaukee inspection camera with a light so I stick it in the fill hole to look. Work great to inspect thru the plug holes too.
Anyway my theory is a bit different in that I feel using a different brand each time cleans up after the previous one. Different engines do different things to oil. One brand may leave deposits due to various factors such as fuel used and whatnot.
Though I seriosly doubt using the same oil every time is bad,however in my experience switching has yet to present a single issue for me.
I buy the on sale top shelf syns. And run them long. My work vans see a torturous duty cycle. They are all driven only in city traffic so lots of starting and stopping and they are loaded with tools for a 4-5 man framing crew.
This means they have a compressor,generator,800 foot of cord,15-20 boxes of nails,you get the picture. They are likely not at max load but I'd say they are close. And those vans have 450k on them. They are clean via inspection camera too.
My cube vans haul a whole lot more,same operating condition and the same oils. No problems and high miles on them too. None of them have ever been opened up. Still the original gaskets.
They all run on sale oil. From qsud,m1,pp,PU,castrol. Never the same brand twice and they are spotless and run flawless.
So I quit concerning myself with it. I'm not using anything but mainstream easily found oils,and thus far no problems.
I used to use Amsoil in everything. I got tired of the high price. I ran 10k intervals with it and I cannot complain about engine cleanliness nor any problem at all,other than cost.
I'm still running a 10k interval with off the shelf Walmart and Canadian tire acquire oils and not a single problem too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back