Bumped my Falcon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day after putting my roof racks and basket on my old girl ready for a road trip, I go and back my Dad's Hilux straight into her!

Copped it right in the tail light and the rear quarter panel got it bad!

Basically I'm just asking for opinions on what people thing I should do. I am going to get some quotes from some decent panel beaters first thing, but it might have to be a cut and weld job from a donor car!
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Yeah, I think you'll have to section in a new quarter panel, that's pretty creased. Maybe they can try to bend it back and see what it's like?

Dad's Toy apparently has a real back bumper.
This isn't a panel beating job.
It'll require new metal.
You can get the tail lamp assembly from a yard.

I'd leave it alone, as fdcg27 said, new meal will have to be welded in.

Holy [censored] that is one ugly a$$ bumper LOL. Redneck Australian craftsmanship?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Holy [censored] that is one ugly a$$ bumper LOL. Redneck Australian craftsmanship?

Instead of being rude, one might just assume that is a push bumper, as the car appears to have a police package.

I'd leave it alone, as fdcg27 said, new meal will have to be welded in.

Yeah it's just a bull bar. Why do all the Americans think it's the bumper? Although it is kind of integrated into it being a factory option, but they are a rare sight. The Christmas lights wrapped arount it however was done by me!
And above poster is spot on, this car was originally purchased as an undercover cop car in rural Queensland.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Instead of being rude, one might just assume that is a push bumper, as the car appears to have a police package.
I wasn't trying to be rude, it is quite an ugly bumper but that's just a matter of my own opinion.

A new or used replacement taillight should be pretty easy. The metal? Well get a few shops' opinions.

Sucks about the damage
33.gif
- but I think the bull bar is pretty cool.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Sucks about the damage
33.gif
- but I think the bull bar is pretty cool.
thumbsup2.gif

I like it too. Gives it an aggressive look. And I'm not sure if you've got deer or moose down under but here that thing could save a ton of damage hitting one n
K. Well maybe not the moose.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
photo.jpg

Was over $4,000 to fix.

Would love to find a bar for the front of the Caprice.

Woah how come?! That's probably not even as bad as mine since your rear quarter got off lightly. At least my bumper and bootlid was untouched but I'd rather it have been them than the quarter panel!
I'll still get a few quotes and my uncle is a panel beater but he's really busy. Might have to wait til he quietens down if the quotes I get are like that haha

I think you will find that needs a post puller used on it to get everything straight again before any work can be done.
Get it straight, make sure the trunk line is good and the light fits properly then cut part of the skin away to weld in a new section. This is gonna cost some money.

The only other thing i can think of to do this cheaper at home is to make a jig using thick square stock with a few holes in it so it lays across the damage and use long bolts to go through the dent.
Put the bolts through with big hardened washers and nuts behind. Heat it with a torch and slowly tighten the bolts to draw it out. Start at the top and bottom and move to the middle.
You will probably need 3 pieces and 9 bolts to cover this dent so you can work it. You cant beat this one out.

Ouch. If you go through your insurance company, I'm 99% sure they'll write it off, as "uneconomical to repair." The low kilometer donor AU I bought from auction was written off with less damage than yours... Good luck!

I concur to the write off, a complete guard is not possible, and a patch will have to be welded in, they won't like that. At a recent saftey/compliance course I was on, we were talking about the sill rust those Falcons get, and we had a panelbeater on the course. He advised against any patch on them as they are completely rusted on the inside (had some photos to show us the extent) and said just in the sill area there are 7 grades of steel. They have to be signed off here, and any insurance company or good panelbeater will steer clear of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back