Oils with Porsche A30 specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone came across oils with Porsche A30 specification? I can see the following Lubrizol (https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html) chart for A30 which features an outstanding score for engine wear protection: 10

chart.jpg

This beats the current ACEA specifications which provide only "6" as engine wear protection as well as any other oil spec I am aware of.

I did not see, however, any oil with Porsche A30 spec on any of the web-sites I am usually shopping for oils. Did anyone encounter such oils?

The reason I am asking for this spec is very simple. For my next oil change I would like to buy an oil which will feature the most strict specs out there: MB 229.5, and hopefully Porsche A30. Usually oils with MB 229.5 do not cost much more (1 dollar price difference per liter) compared to those with out it, so I hope the price difference for A30 will be the same.

Now, since the price is almost the same I would like to get the best out of the money I will be spending on the oil.

Developing this story further can you please tell me if there are any strict OEM specs I may hunt for? The PSA B71 2312 is also quite strict, but I do not find oils with it here either and it is inferior to A30.

I think the Lubrizol site has the specification wrong. It should be C30. The two Porsche specifications are A40 and C30. C30 appears to be the same as VW 507.

Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
I did not see, however, any oil with Porsche A30 spec on any of the web-sites I am usually shopping for oils. Did anyone encounter such oils?

As the other poster already mentioned, the spec is actually C30, not A30.

An example of an oil meeting this spec would be M1 ESP 5w-30.

You can find the list of approved Porsche C30 (and A40) oils here, although this list is a bit dated...

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Porsche-Approved_Oils.html

If it's 507, it's not much to write home about, high wear-proof or not. The lack of TBN retention seals the deal not to use it on NA. In the EU, ymmv.

Yea, it's probably not the best choice for gasoline powered engines in the U.S. There were two recently posted 10K UOAs of C30 rated oils in light duty diesels, which is what he C30 specification is for. One in Australia, 10K km and one in the U.S., 10K miles. Both had 50% TBN retention. It appears they do well in the intended application.

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I can see that this spec is usually present in low SAPS oils which I personally would like to avoid.

I wonder, is there any other really strict specs for wear protection?

In theory, PSA B71 2312 scores 9 out of 10, but these are 0W-30 oils only AFAIK. And these are Low SAPS (ACEA C1) oils as well.

Last edited:
My favorite is the Volvo VDS-4 spec (HDEO I know), but it tramples all specs on that chart. And the thinnest (that I could find) is 10w30 which I can use in anything, at least in the summer.

Last edited:
VDS-4 = RVI RLD-3 = Mack EO-O ≈ API CJ-4 ≈ ACEA E9

The trouble is, all tests for these specs are done in HD diesel engines so there's no way of comparing their performance with a gasoline or light-duty diesel spec.

If I had a Porsche or Vette or whatever why would I care about any of those criteria except for wear. Most people who own cars like that drain their oil every couple thousand miles, which negates the problems those additives in the oil are trying to prevent.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Because all are important for engine longevity.

It's not important at all if you change the oil every 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: riggaz
Because all are important for engine longevity.

It's not important at all if you change the oil every 1000 miles.

If you can find it try Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30. It is C 30, SN, VW504/507, MB 229.51, BMW LL04.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back