Valve Cover Off (Toyota 2AZFE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supercity
You don't like the design or the method for adjusting it? I've always liked the simplicity. Very common on old DOHC engines and I don't mind adjusting them. Once you have a stack of shims from doing a few it's easy.

I don't like the method for adjusting it. I owned two Toyota 4s (a 1ZZ-FE and a 2AR-FE), and to my knowledge, camshaft removal was required on both to adjust the valves. You also have to match shims with lifters as I recall.

I prefer a simple adjustment nut on each rocker arm. It takes very little time to do, and no parts are required.

Originally Posted By: supercity
I have a 1AZ-FE and its pretty noisy too on MS 5w30 when cold.

Could be a few things related to vvt-i. vvt-i advances, retards, and overlaps valves for performance and efficiency based on conditions (startup, idle, acceleration, etc). During these "movements", the valves are at different "phases". If somethings awry with these movements/phases you can hear some "valve clatter". Oil deposits slowing oil flow to the vvt-i cam gear, gas deposits on the valve/inside the ports, coolant temps/fresh coolant, and vacuum leaks are things to look for.

as far as I know, the 2AZ-FE doesn't even use shims to adjust the valves, you must figure out what your current valve clearance is, then order "buckets" of the proper thickness to set the valve clearance to spec. I've been told they are pretty expensive too. I have a 2012 Scion XB with this engine and the top end has been noisy in it since I bought it with 5,000miles on it.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
as far as I know, the 2AZ-FE doesn't even use shims to adjust the valves, you must figure out what your current valve clearance is, then order "buckets" of the proper thickness to set the valve clearance to spec.

Maybe that's it. I remember reading in the service manual about having to order parts. Maybe they were the buckets. This was for my 1ZZ and 2AR engines. I didn't have any noise issues with either (both were very young in age), but I always like to be prepared for future maintenance. A lot of people did complain about noise from their 1ZZ-FE Corolla engines, but I thought mine was pretty quiet.

I'm crossing my fingers and doing a radiator dump once a year with LLC, also run TCW3 in the fuel to among other things.. keep the rings spiffy.

Last edited:
This time I'm not gonna comment. Not worth it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This time I'm not gonna comment. Not worth it.
grin2.gif

Go for it. We are ready for it.

Also lets see your engine pics.

I have a 2AZ-FE in my 2009 Vibe.
It has zero oil consumption, Im definitely looking at my PCV valve and hose soon after seeing that.
I have run Amsoil SS 0W20 and Valvoline 0w20 5w20, currently on 5w20 Synpower, I will be switching over to TGMO 0w20 next oil change. 0w20 feels better in this engine with zero consumption.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
My 2AZ-FE has only had Synthetic since day one.

nice..whats the yr./milage?

I would just keep using PU or similar oil and maybe just shorten the OCI, maybe 7500 miles? I may be crazy but you could also try a few short 3K OCI's with PYB and Kreen...

A little update. We sold the Toyota Highlander pictured in the original post and bought a used 2010 Honda CRV with very low miles. The Highlander ran PU 5W-30 for over 10k miles and it ran great except it did burn a little oil.

We have a 2006 Toyota Camry (2AZFE) with 104k miles on the clock. The Camry is running PU 5W-30 and I just drained the ATF with Amsoil and changed the thermostat and water pump. I'm getting ready to replace the valve cover gasket. When I do, I'll post pictures. I'm interested to see how it compares to our old Highlander.

-ttvr4

Originally Posted By: ttvr4
A little update. We sold the Toyota Highlander pictured in the original post and bought a used 2010 Honda CRV with very low miles. The Highlander ran PU 5W-30 for over 10k miles and it ran great except it did burn a little oil.

We have a 2006 Toyota Camry (2AZFE) with 104k miles on the clock. The Camry is running PU 5W-30 and I just drained the ATF with Amsoil and changed the thermostat and water pump. I'm getting ready to replace the valve cover gasket. When I do, I'll post pictures. I'm interested to see how it compares to our old Highlander.

-ttvr4

Awesome that will be good to see.
Thank You.

I just ordered an inspection camera, one of the first places it will go is into the 2azfe upper cylinder to see hoe the TCW-3 is working.

Originally Posted By: ttvr4

-ttvr4

When you do, that'd be a good time to change plugs, pcv valve and pcv hose as well.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I just ordered an inspection camera, one of the first places it will go is into the 2azfe upper cylinder to see hoe the TCW-3 is working.

That will be very cool indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back