Meg's Paint Protect (new product)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been waiting for this to be released...

Wonder how it would do. I think I am going to order one and give it a try...

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?62175-Paint-Protect-365-Day-Durability

It's available on Autogeek. Perfect time to take advantage of the 25% off sale with a no minimum free shipping.
Just ordered one for $7.49 shipped...
mg_8421.jpg

I like the idea. But I don't know how practical it will be out in the real world.

From what they say its applied like a wax and removed like a wax but doesn't haze.

Went back 5 pages in the forum and I didn't see anyone from Meguair confirm or denie if it can be placed over wax.

They said it can be applyed 2 times a year. Which isn't bad but i have to assume that's best case. I take care of my cars and I can get 2 waxes to last a year.

I'm what I mean is it applys like a wax, removes like a wax, lasts roughly as long as a wax but doesn't provided any gloss.

I don't quiet understand where this product is suppose to sit in the meguairs catalog.

Seems like a wax that doesn't gloss.

I will certainly give it a try when it is sold locally. Meguiars isn't known to last as long as much of the competition.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I like the idea. But I don't know how practical it will be out in the real world.

From what they say its applied like a wax and removed like a wax but doesn't haze.

Went back 5 pages in the forum and I didn't see anyone from Meguair confirm or denie if it can be placed over wax.

They said it can be applyed 2 times a year. Which isn't bad but i have to assume that's best case. I take care of my cars and I can get 2 waxes to last a year.

I'm what I mean is it applys like a wax, removes like a wax, lasts roughly as long as a wax but doesn't provided any gloss.

I don't quiet understand where this product is suppose to sit in the meguairs catalog.

It does "gloss." It's not the glossiest Meg's product, but from early users, it is slick and glossy. It lasts much longer than most waxes and sealants. Michael Stoops states it can be used over a wax. Read this recently.

As far as Meg's LSP's not lasting long...with the introduction of ultimate wax a few years ago, this simply isn't true. Ultimate wax will last as long as collinite 845, in my experience.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Most paint sealants and coatings provide minimal gloss enhancement after the first couple washes. Most of the initial gloss enhancement is from oils that quickly wear off.

The paint's appearance should be from the prep work - from de-contamination (clay and/or Iron-X) and from the machine polishing that is done.

Most of the majors tend to develop on their promises, so I would expect this to be a fairly long lasting product if it is properly applied to a well-prepped surface.

I won't IronX, but wash with Meg's Rinsless wash, and use NanoSkin sponge for claying, and then this Meg's PP on top...
(Perhaps Meg's UQW on top of it? might be overkill? IDK)

(I am planning to do this as soon as Meg's PP arrives, and when I get a day off; it will be on wife's Mazda 6, which is a bit dirty but not too dirty for a rinseless wash I THINK...)

Will update.

Last edited:
Cool product for Meguiars. I'll be sticking with the tried and true sealants but I am curious as to how this will actually hold up in the real world.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Michael Stoops states it can be used over a wax.

I never understood this kind of reasoning. To me, a wax should always be the top coat.

Why?

Because sealants last longer than waxes. So, why put a sealant over a wax, because when the wax breaks down, it's taking the sealant with it. With the sealant down first, the wax slowly wears away, leaving the sealant as a secondary/safety coat before the clearcoat is exposed.

Am I wrong?

Interesting.........first I'd heard of it but I don't keep up with detailing stuff like I used to.

If it beads like crazy, and that's the metric people use to determine protection, then this product will offer value to those who can truly see continued beading without any reapplication. Especially at $10 or so.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Michael Stoops states it can be used over a wax.

I never understood this kind of reasoning. To me, a wax should always be the top coat.

Why?

Because sealants last longer than waxes. So, why put a sealant over a wax, because when the wax breaks down, it's taking the sealant with it. With the sealant down first, the wax slowly wears away, leaving the sealant as a secondary/safety coat before the clearcoat is exposed.

Am I wrong?

What Mr. Stoops was answering was whether you can do it. It doesn't mean that you should or is a recommended method. But for your average Joe, which is the target the product was designed for, I would also say that you can use it. It's good advice for Mr. Joe since at least they'll always have some sort of protection for their paint and that is better than none at all.

I’m loyal to Meguiar’s products after having participated in a detailing clinic at its North American headquarters in Irvine, California.
With Meguiar’s no questions asked money back guarantee you’ve not much to lose by at least giving it a go.

I often see Mr. Meguiar around town (he lives a few blocks away), but personally enjoy paint care and maintenance too much to try any ‘annual’ protectants.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back