Mobil One 0w-20 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject vehicle is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.7 inline four cylinder. Just turned 40k and the oil history has been all AFE 0w-20 at 5k intervals. I run mostly highway miles with some use of the four wheel drive. Is there any benefit to using the tgmo 0w-20 motor oil? Obviously that oil has a higher viscosity index, but Mobil One has better cold cranking properties I think. Price on M-1 is 26 dollars at Walmart and I do not know the price on the tgmo. Any benefits to switching?

Man that is one hot topic around here. You'll get lots of opinions with no facts to back'em up. I see no advantage unless you can get the TGMO for less money. When someone can show me an engine tear down [several] that shows TGMO provides better protection with less wear I'd be all over it like stink on s--t. Until then the less expensive product is the winner for me, and that would be Mobli 1.-RD

From a practicality perspective, no.

I would doing a lot more than 5K on AFE with that type of driving.

What is the warranty OCI recommendation?

Last edited:
I would think if you are doing a lot of cold weather short trips, the lighter tgmo might be a good idea. But for longer highway runs i don't see an advantage.

Toyota keeps this engine at 5k intervals for some reason. My powertrain warranty extends to 60k,so I have some miles left.

What is the lower cost oil in your area? I'd use that. Mobil 1 0W20 AFE is a very good oil and you'll have no problems at all continuing to use it.

In both Ford 4cyl Duratech engines of mine I have used M1 0-20 for several years all at 10K OCIs. Both engines are very clean, use no oil between changes, and as others here, I expect extremely high miles from the Fords.

Last edited:
I was going to refer to two members in my reply.
You were the one who I was thinking of when giving an example of someone who'd favor M1 AFE.
We have another member, from Canada, who'd recommend TGMO.
He may chime in shortly, which will then draw in yet another member from Australia.
Practically speaking, I doubt that it would make any difference.
If the OP can find some TGMO at a good price, then why not?
OTOH, M1 AFE is readily avaiable at a decent price and sometimes at a real steal and obviously works well.
Based upon price, performance and availability, the OP might just as well stay with AFE.
I probably would, except that I have a case of TGMO that I paid just forty dollars for.

Actually Pennzoil Platinum is 2 dollars cheaper per jug around these parts. Historically M-1 has a history of keeping engines very clean. The Pennzoil product being made from natural gas is great, but I doubt it comes from the marcellus shell natural gas fields around me.

If I was the OP, I would just try the TGMO and see if any price / time difference to obtain it is justified by subjective improvements.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
From a practicality perspective, no.

I would doing a lot more than 5K on AFE with that type of driving.

What is the warranty OCI recommendation?

Exactly my thoughts....I would do 7.5K, do a UOA and adjust from there....M 0w20 AFE is a very capable oil...

Though not a 1:1, I ran 0W-20 AFE for 15K in my FX4 and still had life in it. I would hazard to guess that you will not see any measurable differences between AFE and TGMO except for perhaps the price between the two. I would increase the OCI from 5K as soon as your warranty expires to see some ROI on the oil.

M1 AFE, however my vehicle consumes M1 at about 1/2 quart per thousand miles. But I would go with the cheaper option.

At 5k intervals I would not consider switching to anything unless there was a price advantage since both oils would be under utilized IMO.

FYI, any Toyota parts manager worth his salt will give you a 15% discount on the purchase of a full case of TGMO on request. I have used both SM and SN versions in my V6 Accord and Sienna with good luck at 8,000 and 10,000 intervals respectively.

I have yet to try M1 0W-20 AFE although I have some in my stash. I note that AFE has a reduction in phos and zinc additives compared to standard M1. How can that be good?

Last edited:
As the others have said run whichever is easier to find and cheaper. I run TGMO in my 5.7 liter Tundra but only because I have a very trusted mechanic who has it in stock. He changes the oil for me and does not mind letting you watch him work on your vehicle.

Having said that, I had a 99 Tacoma extra cab, 4wd, 5 speed and the 2.7 liter engine. I ran GTX 5w-30 until the powertrain warranty expired. I then went to Mobil 1 5W-30 EP with yearly oil changes until I sold it to my brother in law a couple years back. He has followed the same routine and is nearing 200,000 trouble free miles.

I happen to love the TGMO and can get it in my neck of the woods for $25/5L jug. My Tundra loves the stuff. Most synthetics here in Canada run north of $45/jug at Wally world and Canadian Tire so it makes sense for me to stay with the TGMO.
If you can snag some TGMO at a decent price, give it a try. After all, that's what the Toyota engineers recommend.

Originally Posted By: dernp
I happen to love the TGMO and can get it in my neck of the woods for $25/5L jug. My Tundra loves the stuff. Most synthetics here in Canada run north of $45/jug at Wally world and Canadian Tire so it makes sense for me to stay with the TGMO.
If you can snag some TGMO at a decent price, give it a try. After all, that's what the Toyota engineers recommend.

It would be a hard sell telling someone not to use it at that price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back