Rode a Zero SR yesterday (with 12.5 battery)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who don't yet get it, properly engineered electric vehicles, such as the Tesla car and the Zero motorcycle, are wonderful performers. The base model Tesla is exactly equal to a 2014 Corvette at the local dragstrip. (the "D" model leaves the 'vette for dead) And the Tesla can do 154 12 second drag strip runs, all with zero loss of speed, and drive home without issue!

So, my friend shows up on his 2015 Zero SR. It's equipped with a 67HP, 107 foot pound torque, AC motor, belt drive, a 12.5KWH battery (almost as much battery as a Chevy Volt) and Showa suspension. It's light and somewhat compact, at about 400 pounds and the CG is superb, due to the mass being well centralized.

Whoooooo Hooooooo! This thing is fast! The only word that can describe it is "effortless". It's rated at 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, which in the motorcycle world is good, but not great. HOWEVER, the motor is intentionally limited at speeds below 20 or 30MPH, Otherwise it would simply flip right over instantly. It has that much power. So, 0-60 is not an ideal way to talk about this bike.

Better to say that in real world riding, it's instant power is stunningly intoxicating. It accelerates from 25 to 60 in one second, OMG! Same goes for 60-80. And it cruises at speed, with an absolutely effortless feel. Very little throttle input is required at highway speeds and it's clear there is a whole bunch more available instantly.

It's quiet, but much like any motorcycle, you can easily tell when the motor is working hard. Under normal riding, the motor is not working hard at all. Giving it that amazing effortless feel. The Showa suspension is excellent, and the bike simply begs to be ridden hard. Handling is excellent, period. It's as competent in the twisties as any sportbike ever made. In fact, there is nothing underneath to limit cornering, so lean angles are completely unrestricted.

Range is excellent, with exactly the same range between charges as a typical sportbike has in a full tank of gas. And it has a built in charger, so simply plugging in with a computer type cord in the side of the frame, will do it.

While we can argue about the essence of motorcycling, the engine, the vibration, the shifting, the skill required to make a machine perform, and that somehow that is all lost with an electric bike. BALONEY!!! None of that stuff matters. This thing is the closest to an ideal motorcycle I've ever ridden. It's also the most fun bike I've ever ridden, period, end of story.

What really happens is that the engineers can concentrate on getting things right, such as throttle response, power delivery and accuracy, torque curves, and so on. It's so right on so many levels.

INTERMOT_14_ZERO-SR-2015_1.jpg

Here is a link to a review by Gizmag.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all sounds pretty neat, except for the price. Base is $17,345 + $2,495 for the power tank + $599 for the quick charger + shipping! taxes, title and license. Pretty cool though, maybe it is the way of the future.

I would love to demo ride or rent one for a weekend.

I can guarantee you no one rides a Zero and says, I sure wish I could use a clutch and peg a shifter on this thing.

I want one. Want a Tesla too, but they're not practical yet for traveling. Can you plug the Zero in at rest stops, fueling stops, or restaurants on 120V AC and how long does it take to get about a 180 mile charge built up? Until you can travel on them with reasonable practicality they'll remain city toys... but then that's what nakeds are anyhow so its a moot point I suppose.

If you can't do long rides due to limited power and long recharge time ,and having a bike with drag strip acceleration and knee dragging handling in the city isn't practical, And the cost bumping $20k, when there's lots of more user friendly lower cost bikes to be had, whats the point of this bike again?.,,,

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
It all sounds pretty neat, except for the price. Base is $17,345 + $2,495 for the power tank + $599 for the quick charger + shipping! taxes, title and license. Pretty cool though, maybe it is the way of the future.

I right there with you, it sounds cool and it isn't a bad looking bike. It needs to be about half the price in my opinion.

They do seem to have a WS and bags for it.

They also have an adapter to allow you to charge it from a standard public charge station, but it says
Quote:
some public J1772 charging stations require the vehicle to authenticate itself. The SAE J1772 Charging Adapter does not support charging stations that require such authentication.
and I'm not sure how many require that authentication.

Also this one
Quote:
The CHAdeMO fast charge kit allows you to charge your motorcycle to 95% in under an hour using a CHAdeMO charge station.
which seems awfully expensive.

I see the attraction for someone with a fixed commute within the range of an electric vehicle and/or that has a charge station at work. I actually talked to a guy with a leaf that had such a situation, and he said there is no way he would ever go back to an internal combustion commuter, but admitted that there was no way to get around having something else for trips.

I'd like to get a test ride on one one day...

looks pretty awesome from the back quarter, but

can it go BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP and blow 130db and rattle the windows of the houses 3 blocks away?

no, it cannot..so obviuosally its a big F A I L!

No question the price makes this a rich mans toy. Albeit a very, very good toy.

As far as range is concerned, it's just fine for most commutes, most play riding and general riding. In fact, I've never ridden my SV1000s more than a 130 mile tankful in a day. It's just not the kind of bike I would want to ride long distances. Does that make my SV1000s useless?

Maybe one day, I'll ride my SV across the state of Florida and back in a day. Then again, maybe I'll stay overnight and enjoy my time over there. The Zero can do it, one way with ease. And, it can be plugged in anywhere. Does take forever to charge.

Chevy Volt started at 16.0kWh, has 16.5kWh pack, (35 mile range, then 38 mile range), but that goes to 17.1kWh in 2015.

A friend races a Brammo electric bike. It is fun to ride. But they still have a ways to go to bring the cost down, the weight down, the charge time down, and the range needs to be extended to be a legitimate alternative to gas powered bikes.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Chevy Volt started at 16.0kWh, has 16.5kWh pack, (35 mile range, then 38 mile range), but that goes to 17.1kWh in 2015.

For battery life and other reasons the Chevy volt does not use it's full 16-17KWH capacity. It uses 9.6 to 10KWH according to many tests. I knew this when I posted that the Zero 12.5 KWH battery has about the same capacity as a Chevy Volt. It's clear that the motorcycle uses more of it's 12.5KWH capacity and I suspect it's stunningly close to the Chevy Volt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
looks pretty awesome from the back quarter, but

can it go BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP and blow 130db and rattle the windows of the houses 3 blocks away?

no, it cannot..so obviuosally its a big F A I L!
I would be afraid of cars not being able to hear the bike.

Ya know, I'm a dirt bike guy and I'd love a 67HP dirt bike. I'd take reduced range to have a lighter battery. Possibly a swap system with 2 batteries. But, OMG that kind of power in a dirt bike would be absolute heaven. My KTM 380 EXC makes about 60HP, but it's difficult to get at that power, and truthfully, it's way down on that "oh-so-satisfying" torque when compared to a Mighty CR500/KX500.

From what I've read about electric bikes the torque is on right now and pulls like a team of Clydesdales.
The tech would have to get a whole lot cheaper,and better as far as range is concerned however I'm sure it'll get there.

Anyone would do themselves a favor to test drive an Electric Motorcycle. Pro Motorsports is Fon du Lac is my local dealer. In Dane County? PM me, and trade bikes for a test next summer.

The bike is not silent - think TIE Fighter not tablesaw under throttle or regeneration braking. Hard throttle is a groan like a well stressed electric motor that warrants no pity.

Mandatory noise requirements kick in in a few years - to warn pedestrians. I've only startled bicyclists, now I take care to keep them distant or informed. Cars known I'm there just as much as they known I'm there on my Harley (not at all).

Under the seat is the controller's cooling. Engine cools with fins. Battery cools with ducts. Charger on the underbelly also cools with fins. All air cooled - No radiator.

It is expensive for the function - (but so are 95% of cell phones and they sell in droves) I think prices will drop and range will go up. I commute 50 miles round trip with a easy 20-30 miles for for excursions as needed. It is not a weekend tour bike - but day to day it commutes with a charge from my wall socket at a rate of about 4-5 minutes per mile and be ready every morning. Faster charging is an upgrade to nearly charge in an hour is available $$$.

Right now charging in Madison WI is FREE, but I rarely bother saving those a few nickles. A full charge from empty is only about a dollar.

As for rattling windows - just drive it inside and let the air buffet the window panes. Otherwise take it through the country and enjoy.

To stay on forum (I joined just to comment) - the only maintenance that does not start with the words "CHECK" comes up every 4,000 miles:

Front Brake Lever Pivot Shaft - Apply silicon grease lightly.
Kickstand Pivots - Apply silicon grease lightly.

Everything else is based on the condition, worn tires, brakes or belt. Battery is targeted for 200,000 miles to only lose 10% of range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back