Diagnose my buzzing sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. My Windstar has a slight but distinct buzzing sound that consistently comes on at 35 mph and goes off at 40 mph. I am pretty sure that it is coming from the front passenger side. And another clue is that the ABS light is now coming on about half the time. Putting the transmission in neutral/coasting has no effect on the sound, nor does applying the brakes.

The most likely cause is the wheel bearing. But I don't find a lot of play when I jack the car up and wiggle the tires on either side. And left and right wheels spin with about the same sound and resistance.

From what I see, I can't do a bearing replacement myself on this car. I'd need a puller, a press and a special tool. Before I take the car into the shop, what are the chances that this is the wheel bearing versus something more expensive like the ABS system? Any clues on how to further diagnose?

Bees under the passenger seat
laugh.gif

In case anyone searches this topic, here is the end of the story:

I finally found an O'Reilly's that would read the ABS error code. It said something to do with the ABS sensor on the right rear. I took the sensor out, cleaned all the crud and corrosion off it and wahla! No more buzzing sound.

The last buzzing sound we diagnosed in a customer's car was coming from under the driver's seat. Seems the lady that owned it left (and forgot) a "toy" under her seat and when you sat just right it pressed the on button and it would just buzz away. Soon as you moved a little, or got out of the car, no buzz.

Tough to diag as our NVH guy only weighed about 140 lbs and didn't weigh enough to cause the problem. He found it eventually, then he washed his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back