Volvo All Wheel Drive Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at an '08 Volvo S60. How Does the AWD system work? Is it the rear wheels mostly
driving it and the front wheels kick in when it they detect slippage, or is it the front wheels
mostly drive it and the rears kick in upon slippage? Thanks and Happy New Year!!

It is a Haldex system. It is FWD biased with a bevel gear off the transmission that the prop shaft attaches to. There is a Electronic Differential Control Module with a clutch pack that actuates the power being distributed to the read differential unit. On my 04 S60R, it was a 90/10 front to rear split the majority of the time and would go to 50/50 split when necessary.

You will get to know everyone in your local Volvo service department if you own one of these cars.

Look at the links supplied by Pete and see if you would like to try and maintain such a system. The cost of bits and pieces to keep everything working will make your eyes water and that's assuming that when there's a glitch that the service department will guess right on their first attempt to solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Look at the links supplied by Pete and see if you would like to try and maintain such a system.

Speaking from experience?

From what I've read, these AWD systems are fairly reliable. It's the other parts like electronics that can nickle and dime one to death...

The AWD system is pretty reliable. I would change the Haldex fluid and filter at 100,000 just to keep it so. The Haldex works well.

There are some Volvo quirks, but if you care for the car, it will reward you with years of reliable service.

Volvos get a bad rap because Volvo owners tend to be non-car people...and they aren't good about maintenance...so, the Volvo reputation for reliability becomes a double-edge sword, "this is a reliable car, why do I have to change the timing belt? Etc..."

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Volvos get a bad rap because Volvo owners tend to be non-car people...and they aren't good about maintenance..

very well said

Originally Posted By: Astro14
The AWD system is pretty reliable. I would change the Haldex fluid and filter at 100,000 just to keep it so. The Haldex works well.

There are some Volvo quirks, but if you care for the car, it will reward you with years of reliable service.

Volvos get a bad rap because Volvo owners tend to be non-car people...and they aren't good about maintenance...so, the Volvo reputation for reliability becomes a double-edge sword, "this is a reliable car, why do I have to change the timing belt? Etc..."

Sounds like VW also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back