How do you survive cold weather ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys up north survive the cold weather when temperature dips below freezing or worse below freezer temp ?

Today we have coldest temperature we experienced for a long time, high today is only 56 and low tonight is below 40 at around 35-36.

When I go outside I have to put on sweater and jacket over it to keep warm, but with 20-25 MPH wind blowing around my hands and legs are cold.

Where is the so called Global Warming ?

Lol gotta keep moving, when it's super cold you just go numb or might feel a burning feeling. 40 degrees ain't nothing, try -40 working up in Prudhoe bay

Anything above freezing around here is T-shirt weather. We survive by boilers or wood burning stoves, bourbon, wool socks, insulated jeans, snow tires, snow blowers, traction sand, quality winter coats and of course 0W-XX motor oil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
How do you guys up north survive the cold weather when temperature dips below freezing or worse below freezer temp ?

Today we have coldest temperature we experienced for a long time, high today is only 56 and low tonight is below 40 at around 35-36.

When I go outside I have to put on sweater and jacket over it to keep warm, but with 20-25 MPH wind blowing around my hands and legs are cold.

Where is the so called Global Warming ?
Many parts of the world are actually getting colder, they had to change the term "global warming" to "climate change" since we aren't actually getting warmer.

It's so cold outside today I had to use the seat warmer
wink.gif

Sometimes its tough let me tell you, you can't wait till spring comes.

toady its 17deg with bellow zero wind chills, another day in paradise.

When it gets down to freezing we grab a sweater. When the wind picks up we'll put a wind breaker over that. When it goes down to 0F we'll break out the winter jackets and whatnot.

Jokes aside I've found 20F and down to 10F to be great hiking weather. ground is good and hard, no standing water, and I sweat a lot less. I'm not sure it's easier to work on the car but again, when the ground is hard it's a bit easier to crawl around on the ground.

Nick, the seat heaters get turned on in my car sometime in October, and run until sometime in April. I just turn down to 3 or so, which is pretty low. I find that after about 5 minute on 5 it gets nice and toasty. Once in a while I'll use 4, like in cold weather and I'm waiting to get heat--like when it takes 10 miles at 60mph to get the temp gauge to move.

I used to do summer/winter tires on one vehicle but now I do summer/winter vehicles.

Global warming was proven to be a hoax so they changed the name to "climate change" which of course happens everyday everywhere.

Believe it or not- your body also acclimates. Same if you move from the cold north to the hot south. Usually takes a year but you adjust.

I have found that as I have gotten older, my tolerance for winter has decreased. I'm in my early 40s and I am fed up with the cold, snow and dark days. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed because of it. I'm afraid to see what I'll be like in my 50s.

When it's colder than a Cast Iron Toilet on the Shady side of an Ice-burg,
I do projects in the house.

Did you know that if you walk up behind a person and touch their neck with an ice-cube,
for a fraction of a second you can make them think they got burned ...... just saying.

Edit: I heat my house in the Summer and air condition it in the Winter.

Last edited:
It was a balmy 10F on my thermometer this morning.
It warmed up to 27F this afternoon.
The cold is just a part of life in the northern states each winter, although some are worse than others.
If you dress for the cold, it's okay.
You have to accept it and not fear it.
It's just a fact of life here for three or four months out of each year.
Outside of December, January or February, you don't get what we here would consider real cold and most of the real cold is reserved for January and February, although we did have three 10F mornings the week before Thanksgiving here. This was followed with a nice warmup and I changed the oil in two cars in the driveway in windless, comfortable 48F conditions.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Believe it or not- your body also acclimates. Same if you move from the cold north to the hot south. Usually takes a year but you adjust.

I've never adjusted to the sweaty nastiness that is the Deep South. And I've lived here most of my life.

True, though, you do adjust to a new climate, at least a little. I took to the dryness and coldness of Denver like a cat would to a field full of mice. It amazed me my first year that it was possible to walk around outdoors, in June, without feeling that I had warm slime on my skin under my clothes.

I learned there (and it's nowhere as cold there as is Minnesota or other northern lands) to do the layer thing. One heavy coat doesn't cut it. Several thin layers is the way to go, plus gloves if necessary. And while I'm not sure it's really true that 75% of your body heat escapes through your head, it's a good idea to wear a hat.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
I have found that as I have gotten older, my tolerance for winter has decreased. I'm in my early 40s and I am fed up with the cold, snow and dark days. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed because of it. I'm afraid to see what I'll be like in my 50s.
Especially at the age of 68. Fortunately most of the East Coast is getting warmer. In the 40's the Soldiers stationed there in WWII started wearing their woll stuff in September. There is no way I could take the weather in Pa. we had in the 50's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KevGuy

Yup, I'm in my later 50s and my internal "furnace" has definitely cooled somewhat. Some days it's hard to get warm.

I had a buddy recommend flannel lined pants for cold weather. My wife bought me a pair of flannel lined jeans for Christmas. I highly recommend them, very comfortable.

Nothing beats those Sorrel felt-lined boots from Canada for keeping your feet toasty warm in the worst weather.

All that and just keep moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back