1mzfe timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this engine in my 2002 Camry (84000 miles)...it is not VVT. It is my understanding that this is a non-interference engine but I cannot confirm this. Does anyone have direct knowledge about this?
Many thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!

I have a 98 Sienna with the same engine. If you don't have the valve cover that says VVti then it's a non interference engine.

I changed my timing belt at 197,xxx km (122,xxx miles) in July 2010. The belt had no rips or frays although all the lettering was worn off.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I have a 98 Sienna with the same engine. If you don't have the valve cover that says VVti then it's a non interference engine.

I changed my timing belt at 197,xxx km (122,xxx miles) in July 2010. The belt had no rips or frays although all the lettering was worn off.

Regards, JC.

It's a non interference. My brother has it in his 96' Lexus ES300. It's about 10k past overdue but if it breaks in the meantime it's no big deal (as far as engine damage)

Motts,
Your camry will likely be happy with it's factory TB for quite sometime...
I fit a new TB on our 98 camry LE ( same motor ) @ 171k two years ago. The OEM had No teeth missing and no sign of cracking when turning belt inside out and flexing for inspection in the sunlight...
This Toyota is a So. Cal. Car.

Originally Posted By: motts
I have this engine in my 2002 Camry (84000 miles)...it is not VVT. It is my understanding that this is a non-interference engine but I cannot confirm this. Does anyone have direct knowledge about this?
Many thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!

Camry's were non-interference long before 2002!

Originally Posted By: mva
Has anyone experienced a timing belt failure with this engine?

What was it like? Did the engine still run?

I just experienced what I think was a 1MZFE engine bearing failure and I am trying to rule out the timing belt:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3583918/1

If the Timing Belt fails, The engine will not run.

If it jumps time, The engine may run a few seconds then die because of fuel fouled plugs, Though I have never seen 1MZ-FE jump time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back