BMW Mann Filter too tall for housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing my 2002 325IT engine oil as I have many times with a mann filter (same size as before). However, no matter what I tried I could not get the plastic housing cover to fit into the housing low enough to twist it back on. I looked at the oil filter and noticed it seemed a bit tall. I have three of these mann filters and they were all the same. My mechanic said sometimes you have to use a
lot of force to get the filter fully in. I have never had to do this over the 8 years I've had the car. Has any one had this problem and what do you recommend ?

Has the filter clicked past the retaining tabs? Eh usually go most of the way in but the last 1/4" or so takes a lot more force, and makes an audible click once it's home.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Has the filter clicked past the retaining tabs? Eh usually go most of the way in but the last 1/4" or so takes a lot more force, and makes an audible click once it's home.

Agreed. It needs to snap into place, and that requires some force.

I use Mann HU715/4x filters on my BMW 318ti. In my case, the filter definitely needs to be forced down a bit to fully seat. It's a tight friction-fit between the fiber end cap and the tube in the filter housing it slides onto.

Thanks a lot, everybody. I'll check that it clicks in tonight. I wonder why this never happened before ?

BMW boxer motorcycle engines have strange filter elements . There's a white O ring which costs you about three grand if it doesn't go in right and gets pinched. Those German engineers, "Wicked smart". Meanwhile Hondas take a spin on.

Originally Posted By: KevinV
Thanks a lot, everybody. I'll check that it clicks in tonight. I wonder why this never happened before ?

Is it the M54 engine in your car that requires the Mann HU 925/4x filter? If so, it definitely needs to be forced into place the last 1/4-1/2" or so. You'll know when it clicks.

Is this your first time using this filter? Not sure why you didn't need to force it before...

Use some oil to lubricate the inner filter and the filter tube, I do it for my MB E430 and it was much easier to slide the filter in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back