What Coolant In Oil Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown oil, time on oil, OCI, or history.

OilReport_zps7e9c4991.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with either intake gasket or head gasket - especially if it's one of the famous 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8 V-6 GM motors.

Interesting they would advise to change oil every 2,000 miles. I think I might start going this route on my Oldsmobile as I feel the gaskets are on their way out.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
I agree with either intake gasket or head gasket - especially if it's one of the famous 3.1, 3.4 or 3.8 V-6 GM motors.

Except it's not - it's a 5.7 350.

Originally Posted By: stevejones

Except it's not - it's a 5.7 350.

Didn't they have problems as well with the 5.0/5.7 with "Dexcool" coolant in the mid to late 90's?

Didn't they have problems as well with the 5.0/5.7 with "Dexcool" coolant in the mid to late 90's?

Had nothing to do with the DexCool..in fact Dexcool was an attempt to minimumize the corosion causing gasket degredation.

To the OP..122ppm is high. You don't have much time left. Ask me how I know. Been there done that with 3 different GM engines.

Once you are much above 20ppm you are well on your way.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA Here's how to tell if you have a blown head gasket WITHOUT tearing anything down.

You should NOT have more than 20 ppm potassium in your oil; regardless of mileage on the oil. This is evidence of a coolant leak. Here are condemning limits from an oil analysis lab: http://www.oil-lab.com/downloads/Petroleum_Technologies.pdf

I have a GM 3.8L V-6, which is notorious for coolant leaking in the plastic upper intake around the EGR valve. Dorman designed an aftermarket upper intake with additional reinforcing around the weak spots; then they actually REDESIGNED the redesign. This is the 2nd edition of the redesigned redesign part: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Redesigned-U...7d1&vxp=mtr

While you're at it, the LOWER intake gaskets are also notorious for premature failure. ZZPerformance markets great quality genuine GM replacements: http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/122-Intake-Gasket.aspx

With these issues resolved, the GM engines in this series have an excellent reputation among mechanics as being "bulletproof." Keep their oil clean, and they will last until you're tired of driving it.

I DID have 434 ppm potassium in my oil; I have no doubt whatsoever that used oil analysis saved my engine by getting me to LOOK for coolant leakage. Dexcool antifreeze (orange stuff) shows up under ultraviolet (black light). That's how I found my leakage. You need a DARK garage and a BRIGHT blacklight.

My 2000 Lesabre runs like a top with a bypass oil filter, replaced intake gaskets and close to 200,000 on it.

Happy New Year!

Pressure tested. Leaking from water pump, thermostat housing, and LIM. After removing the engine cover, the intake leak could be easily seen at the number 7 cylinder (rear, driver's side). All original parts.

Replaced all. Runs like new. Will change oil at 500 miles and re-sample.

GM seal tabs work great for a very minor leak the dealers use them and we use them on some of the engines we rebuild. Also they came standard from the factory right off the assembly line in many engines

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
GM seal tabs work great for a very minor leak the dealers use them and we use them on some of the engines we rebuild. Also they came standard from the factory right off the assembly line in many engines

Exactly. They're available at NAPA cheap as Bars Leaks pellets. I used them many years ago on an old Suburban where the radiator had sprung a few small leaks due to rust. I was on my way to Road Atlanta w a race car in tow and popped some pellets in. They worked great. 7 years later I finally replaced the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back