Techron AND Gumout ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are both of these legit?
For $6 each, I just got both.
2afd7yg.jpg

The techron is used in many dealerships around the country - I've used it myself - but I've never used the other stuff. I've used Seafoam before as well, and it also is used at some Honda dealers. Personally I don't know how much good any of them do. Most fuel injectors have a spray pattern that allows the fuel to self clean across the face of the injector. And if you're thinking any of these products are going to remove hard carbon deposits...you're dreaming...unless you could continuously run 10,000 gallons of this stuff for a week straight. Will it remove some varnish if used on a regular basis? Yeah, but fuel itself will also do that...gasoline cleans like [censored] all by itself.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
The techron is used in many dealerships around the country - I've used it myself - but I've never used the other stuff. I've used Seafoam before as well, and it also is used at some Honda dealers. Personally I don't know how much good any of them do. Most fuel injectors have a spray pattern that allows the fuel to self clean across the face of the injector. And if you're thinking any of these products are going to remove hard carbon deposits...you're dreaming...unless you could continuously run 10,000 gallons of this stuff for a week straight. Will it remove some varnish if used on a regular basis? Yeah, but fuel itself will also do that...gasoline cleans like [censored] all by itself.

^^ Nailed it. But if I ever feel the urge to add anything it is always Techron.

Last week I ran a bottle of Barryman B12 chemtool in my gas tank and at this point not sure of the impact long term however my cold start this morning improved.

Two of the best fuel system cleaners out there, along with amsoil PI and Redline SL1. Can't go wrong with any of them really.

Last edited:
Gumout All-in-One is more concentrated than Regane; both are good products. Techron Concentrated Plus is a top-performer and the one I use - it being the better value for the dollar.

Seat of the pants, I always heard the Techron was the one. I tried it, and didn't notice anything. The 2nd time I ran the regane, I did atleast notice something. The time span was within 2 month, and both injections was after a Fuel injection manual clean out with a scrub brush at a Mechanic shop.

So , I lean to the regane, Ive actually put it in 4 or 5 different vehicles in the last several months.

the manual clean out created the biggest change though, vehicle had weird idle issues, and sometimes start up issues. All perfect afterwards.

Last edited:

Nice story if only it were 100% true. I have to inform you many of us have had leaky injectors cleaned and performance restored using either Techron or Regane. You have not been a member on here a full 72 hours and you are about to be on my personal ignore list and this is a great feat because after years of absurd posts I still do not have a paranoid member on my list.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

^^ Nailed it. But if I ever feel the urge to add anything it is always Techron.

True story...I have a honda accord with 282k miles on it. I've used seafoam on it pretty regularly...I've cleaned the throttle plate with injector cleaner (a must with these cars). But I still eventually ran into problems - I don't think that seasfoam made one single ounce of a difference. I eventually had to take the manifold off...scrape the carbon out of it...clean the egr tube with a coat hanger, clean the egr by hand and clean the IAC motor with a wire brush. That was the only way to get that stuff clean.

I've used techron and a couple of other things, but I only did it because it made me feel good...know what I mean? Do it for piece of mind if you want, but the truth is carbon doesn't come off unless you scrape it off. The stuff is nasty. No amount of any product is going to stop that - not when there are so many reasons why it forms in the first place...leaking oil rings, bad egr, bad iac, poor engine design, poor oci's, short trips, cold climates, hot climates...it's going to happen. And the cleanest thing you'll find on the upper portion of an engine is the injector faces because they always have fresh, clean fuel being sprayed across their surfaces.

Last edited:
Car is running perfectly, as is.
Big fan of preventative maint.

I figured for $5, I don't mind tossing it in the tank at 150k miles.

Seafoam is nearly worthless in modern automobile engines,
it's nothing more than pale light oil...

Techron Concentrate, Regain High Mileage, and Redline
are the real deal with high levels of a SAE study proven
deposit remover called PEA. It not only can remove hard carbon deposits it also is the ONLY gasoline detergent that does NOT leave its own residue behind in the cleaning process.

Most of the above products contain at least 35% PEA and as high as 50%. Levels higher than this really don't improve cleaning ability.

Seafoam is near useless as a fuel additive however when used thru a vacuum line into the intake I've had great results with it. And as an oil additive I've had it clean engines where I couldn't see the rocker arms moving,so it does have its uses,just doesn't happen to be in the fuel.

Seems to me, if you continually use MMO in the gas, it would soften carbon to be more easily washed away by Techron, Gumout, Redline, etc...

From my experience, for injector cleaner, Berryman Chemtool is still better than Techron than Gumout, the only drawback is you can not overuse it due it will develop combustion chamber deposit. So what I do is run Redline SI-1 after the Berryman to clean the deposit, so far this gives best result compared with using just a single product twice.

Just be careful on using Berryman on old car, it can rupture old fuel line if the condition is not good before the treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back