Quantum Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to stop doing my own oil changes. I need to make more time for family, and working on the vehicle is just one of many things I'd like to cut out.

I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since I learned about it and started changing my own oil. I was going to give the Advanced Fuel Economy 0w20 a shot, but decided I want to cut out some time-sucks.

A local reputable shop uses what they call "Quantum Green Full Synthetic" good for "5,000 miles". Honestly, if a synthetic is only going to get me 5,000 miles and only costs me $55 to do it at the shop, it must not be of high quality. It costs me $60 just to change my own oil and filter, not to mention the initial purchase of a Qwikvalve. But I do want to explore the option.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a "Quantum Green" anywhere. I do plan on calling them but cannot talk on the phone at this moment.

Has anyone heard of this Quantum Green? Maybe I'm better off just doing this myself as I have before...

Never heard of it. And to be honest if you are considering extended intervals I'd only use a known quality product.
M1 EP is guaranteed by mobil for 15000 miles,so if you like and are happy with mobil that's the line I'd go with.
15000 miles is quite a long interval. Most of us here go ballistic and need to change it long before that.
I'm going 10000 mile intervals on my charger and trucks. I buy on sale synthetics which means I run long intervals for the price of conventional,which cuts my cost per mile in half.

If you really think about it, changing your own oil at home actually takes less time than taking it somewhere to get it done. Start to finish for me is less than 30 min. If you just don't want to do it anymore, call a duck a duck.

What kind of vehicle and what sump size do you have that costs $60 to change your oil? And where do you get your Mobil 1? Here in AL we can get 5 quarts of the Mobil 1 for 25 bucks or so. And a filter for 5-10 bucks. Sometimes less.

Glad I do not buy oil where you live.

100% agree. Changing my own oil is way quicker than any other method. And I usually get my stepson to work with me on our cars so he learns a little more about cars and we get some good bonding time.

I think that I can change my oil faster than I can get to shop to have someone else change it for me. Since I stockpile oil during good deals, I haven't spent more than $20 on an oil change in the last decade. GCgreen ($4/qt), M1 ($3/qt), Valvoline Synthetic Racing oil ($2/qt), QSUD ($2/qt) and Duralube blend ($2/qt). With a little planning, it seems cheaper and faster to do it yourself. But hey, I don't know your situation...

Quantum Oil link:

http://www.qlubricants.com/

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
What kind of vehicle and what sump size do you have that costs $60 to change your oil? And where do you get your Mobil 1? Here in AL we can get 5 quarts of the Mobil 1 for 25 bucks or so. And a filter for 5-10 bucks. Sometimes less.

Glad I do not buy oil where you live.

Exactly.

Oil change only takes 30 minutes, do it after the kids are in bed or early in the morning. If you take a quality synthetic to 10,000 miles and change it once or twice a year, does that 30 minutes once or twice a year even matter?

As already stated, taking my car to get my oil changed doesn't save me any time with the family. If you're that hard pressed for family time... maybe there are other things you need to cut out? Not judging, just can't wrap my head around how this will give you anymore family time.

Rhino Ramps are super quick. You just wedge them up against your tires; get in your car and drive up them; set your emergency brake; then dive underneath and pull the plug. While the the oil is draining, you're inside visiting your family.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Rhino Ramps are super quick. You just wedge them up against your tires; get in your car and drive up them; set your emergency brake; then dive underneath and pull the plug. While the the oil is draining, you're inside visiting your family.
smile.gif

Don't forget to put jack stands under the car and chock the rear wheels for safety. Last thing you want is one one of those ramps failing or the e brake failing.

Yep, changing oil takes no time, even for this old guy with arthritis. Changed my truck oil and filter this month, and couldn't hardly stand up straight for a couple of days. Finished and said to myself, this is the last time I do this. A week later was thinking about what oil and filter I will use when I do it again. Guess I will quit when they pry that oil bottle from my cold dead hands
smile.gif

But, for all those people that think that the base oil is whole story, this is the oil for them...80-90% PAO.

I'm in WA. Oil is pretty much the same everywhere – AutoZone, O'Reilly, NAPA, Amazon. Always around $10/qt. I usually buy 5 qts for $40 and a filter is $13.

Thinking about going with that new Pennzoil PurePlus if it's available in 0w20.

Thanks a lot, all!

Originally Posted By: Delta
Walmart has 5qt jugs of name brand synthetic from $21-28 all day long...

Yes but the OP does't want to change his own oil no more.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back