2008 Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the truck last year with 27K on her, now has a whopping 31K. Currently running SM Valvoline Durablend 5W30. I have some Dino SM QS 5W20 on the shelf. Questions are, should I run current oil through 2015 and put Dino in for next winter-concerned about shelf life?
As Im anxious to get current quality oil in her I may do early drain and run the dino this summer and change for better grade for following year.
Considering how few miles I put on her per year Im looking for a once a year OCI. Id like to use a full synthetic but can probably do well with a good dino. I'll probably go with a blend, what would you guru's go with? Im thinking Motorcraft or SuperTech full synthetic. How do they compare since they cost the same? Advice?

Which engine? If it's the 2.3 or the 3.0 ... they aren't going to care at all. I'd run whatever is cheap.

SuperTech syn and Motorcraft synblend are both good oils.

I'm assuming it's the 2.3 or 3.0 since you said 20 grade.

What engine does the truck have? The SOHC 4.0 is the only Ford gas engine that did not get the 5W20 spec...5W30 is the only weight Ford recommended for it and I'm guessing they had their reasons given the entire rest of the gas lineup got 5W20. The 2.3 and 3.0 were both spec'd 5W20.

SuperTech full synthetic is fine to use, so is Motorcraft. Everything you're considering using for this truck is fine, though if it's a SOHC 4.0, I would not use 5W20 (regardless of brand) in it personally.

Edit...since it's the I4, you can't go wrong with any of the oils you have considered so far. The engine won't care a bit.

Last edited:
I'll have to look at which engine it is, it is spec'd for 5W20 but Im using 5W30 blend now. Should I drain it out?

If it's a 4 cylinder, it's the 2.3. The 3.0 and 4.0 were both V6s.

5W30 blend in it is fine.

My 3.0 has 0W30 that has been topped off with 0W40 in it.

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
ok, thanks
Just debating on the ST Syn. or the Motorcraft..........
honestly, either pick the cheaper of the 2, or flip a coin. Neither choice is a bad one.

Manual or auto; lots of good discussions on bitog on what manual lube to use; make sure you read up on the dry rotting plug problems too.

Good 2nd vehicle for sure; better mpg than some cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Manual or auto; lots of good discussions on bitog on what manual lube to use; make sure you read up on the dry rotting plug problems too.

Good 2nd vehicle for sure; better mpg than some cars.

now Im scared...........

Shift rail plugs are nothing to be scared of...there are three rubber plugs at the top of the transmission housing that dry out and leak fluid over time. $10 and 10 minutes every 10 years or so takes care of it. A flat screwdriver is the only tool needed.

If the trans is ever dropped for a clutch job/slave cylinder, that might be a good time to put metal freeze plugs in place of the rubber plugs.

That only applies to manuals.

If it's an automatic, it's due for a fluid change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back