Liqui Moly Synthoil energy 0w40 vs M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the numbers to make a definitive comparison between the two? I have used m1 0w40 for a few intervals now and its a good price. I just would like to know if better 0w40 options exist.

...And before fights start, Im interested in just comparing these two, not bringing penzoil etc... into the mix.
cool.gif

What sort of numbers are you looking for, exactly?

If you want to look at numbers/spec sheets alone, I think it's worth noting that M1 has more certs and they are newer (API SN vs SM, MB 229.5 vs 229.3, BMW LL-01 vs LL-98, GT-R). LM did get a formula tweak within the past few years -- I believe it used to be API SL.

There have been countless VOAs and UOAs posted here to illustrate just how good M1 is. Unless you can get the LM dirt cheap (<$4 qt), or are just curious, I'd stick with M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What sort of numbers are you looking for, exactly?

If you want to look at numbers/spec sheets alone, I think it's worth noting that M1 has more certs and they are newer (API SN vs SM, MB 229.5 vs 229.3, BMW LL-01 vs LL-98, GT-R). LM did get a formula tweak within the past few years -- I believe it used to be API SL.

There have been countless VOAs and UOAs posted here to illustrate just how good M1 is. Unless you can get the LM dirt cheap (div>

Thanks for the input. Was just curious and I tend to second guess my choices/always be looking for better alternatives.

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon

Thanks for the input. Was just curious and I tend to second guess my choices/always be looking for better alternatives.

If that's the case, there are a lot of alternatives to M1 0w40, but it's hard to argue with the price and availability.

I've used both in my charger. The liqui-moly 0w-40 has the same certifications as M1 0w-40,so on paper they are what I'd consider equal.

I was reading a release from Porsche about the use of different brands of oil and what they considered best.
Porsche states in no uncertain terms that any oil that is certified to meet their spec is equal to any other,however certification is not "meets or exceeds" or "suitable for use in" so be wary.
So if Porsche says they're equal I'm certainly not going to call them liars.
Liqui-moly 0w-40,M1 0w-40 and castrol 0w-40 are all certified by Porsche. So Porsche says they're equal.
I've used all 3 in my charger. I used the liqui-moly first of all 3. I can say in all honesty I found slight differences in operation and oil temps at steady cruise but the differences are what I'd consider "noise" and of no real consequence.
So I'd buy based on price. M1 0w-40 is priced inexpensively at Walmart as is castrol,so pick your poison.
I like liqui-moly as a company and try to support them by purchasing their products when they are cost effective. But in this case M1 and castrol win.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The liqui-moly 0w-40 has the same certifications as M1 0w-40,

Not according to that spec sheet posted by OP. Is the spec sheet not correct?

Mobil 1 0w40 is good stuff. Good price at Walmart. You have used it for several intervals. Why are you even discussing this? Go get some more of the mobil 1

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Based on the MFG approvals, I'd go with M1 0w-40. Alternatively, Castrol 0w-40.

I go with Castrol 0w-40 for $21.xx 5-qt jug at Walmart instead of $26.xx for M1 0W40.

Now, if OP can get Castrol 0w-40 at local Autozone for $1/qt then it's the best buy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Clevy
The liqui-moly 0w-40 has the same certifications as M1 0w-40,

Not according to that spec sheet posted by OP. Is the spec sheet not correct?

That's the latest spec sheet. Verified it on the German and US websites.

The Synthoil Energy does NOT carry the same certs.

The Liqui-Moli does't meet the following certifications according to the PDS sheets.

MB-Approval 229.5 X
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01 X

Penrite 0w-40 (meeting specs similar to Liqui-Moly) was not highly favored due to these short comings of meeting the above specs by some members.

Remember it is the vehicles requirements that is the KEY driver for deciding whether the oil is suitable for the vehicle in question.

And not arhs about assuming it is just the specs of oil printed on a PDS sheet which are subject to change from time to time.

Last edited:
M1 or Castrol 0W-40 is a no brainer.

I'm tempted to try Liqui-Moly 10W-60 but as long as it's in the $$ ballpark of TWS, it's Castrol for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back