Castrol Edge 5w50 (New formula) Mercruiser 3.0 TKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just scored some of the Edge 5w50 reforumulated for classic cars with higher zinc and was wondering if it would be well suited for my Mercruiser 3.0. It's a 2013 carbed model with about 22 hours on it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

If the consensus is that it's too heavy I'll just use it in my lawnmower, generator, and pressure washer.

Here is the PDS:

EDGE 5w50 PDS

Last edited:
Castrol_Edge_5W-50_SN_zpsdd30420e.jpg

Found a VOA

So if it tests as a 20w-50 how is it able to be labelled a 5w-50.
Unless all they test for is hot viscosity and blackstone assumed it was a 29w-50.

I'm really leaning toward using this in my boat this spring. I'm betting it will be much better than the Mercruiser 25w40 that is in it now. The ZDDP levels look to be good enough for the 3.0 and it's flat tappet design.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
What does the Mercruiser manual call for?

Mercruiser 25w40, but that has been proven to sheer down to a 20 weight in some UOAs

I would say the viscosity spread is too much, Other than that it would work without any problems.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
What does the Mercruiser manual call for?

Mercruiser 25w40, but that has been proven to sheer down to a 20 weight in some UOAs
Can you link them?

Anyway, I picked up eight quarts at $1 a quart and will use it in my OPE if you guys think it's better suited to such a application.

It fits exactly the reasoning why I don't like these really really wide bands.

It's called a 50, has the KV100 of a 50, but an HTHS of 3.7, which is 40 grade (and some ACEA 30s !!!)...the 5W40 next to it is a better looking oil personally...the 5W50 will shear, and shear badly if these engines mess up 25W40.

(Compare it with edge 25W50 for example http://www.tds.bp.com.au/pdf/10610_CASTROL_EDGE_25W-50_3374729_2011_09.pdf to see what I'm talking about)

Delo 400 15W40 should get you through....not sure what you should do with the 5W50 'though.

Gilitar,
It is probably fine to try ... but watch for shearing. Like Shannow states, the wide-speard multi-vis oils are prone to shearing in severe conditions, even the newer ones which are much better than they were in the 80s and even 90s.

I'm kinda interested to hear why you are so interested in a wide-spread oil in Mobile, AL. Are cold starts really an issue for you guys? I'd run a HDEO 15W40 unless I felt it wasn't performing well for one reason or another. They are cheap, plentiful proven performers.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Gilitar,
It is probably fine to try ... but watch for shearing. Like Shannow states, the wide-speard multi-vis oils are prone to shearing in severe conditions, even the newer ones which are much better than they were in the 80s and even 90s.

I'm kinda interested to hear why you are so interested in a wide-spread oil in Mobile, AL. Are cold starts really an issue for you guys? I'd run a HDEO 15W40 unless I felt it wasn't performing well for one reason or another. They are cheap, plentiful proven performers.

I just couldn't pass up the $1 a quart oil! I've decided to use DELO 15w40 in the boat this spring. I'll use the 5w50 in the OPE.

BTW, on the subject of shearing, would it really matter if it sheared a little being that it started off so thick? It's just something I was thinking about.

No, I don't think a little shearing is bad. From your signature, your boats appear to be relatively new. If they were older, I might worry about consumption ... but I doubt you would see much unless this stuff shears below a 30 weight. Not likely.

Delo 15W40 ... excellent choice.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
... Any thoughts are appreciated.

I likewise scored a good deal and put this oil in my 2007 VP 5.0L MPI for winter layup and plan on running it the entire 2015 season. I fail to see how there could be any problems. Feel comfortable should you decide to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back