05 Sebring rear passenger side rattling noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
This started happening a week ago. Every time I go over bumps or even tiny pot holes my rear passenger side will make a rattling noise. Sounds like something is loose and wants to fall off.. Anyone know what it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume it's for the Sebring in your sig?

Based on my history with Hondas, I would guess it's a stabilizer link that went bad.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Uhh, isn't a Sebring a Chrysler? Not Honda.

Yes? I'm under the assumption that other auto manufacturers use stabilizer bars and stabilizer links as well.

On my end, it sounded like you were implying the Sebring was a Honda. No harm, no foul. Cheers! Happy New Years
smile.gif

You might be right on that EdwardC.. I have most of the symptoms of a broken sway bar link. Never replaced one though, hope it isn't to hard to fix.

On my Camry it made weird noises in the rear. The struts and mounts were new but the control arm bushings were worn.

Strut mounts (if it has struts in the rear) or control arm bushings. If it has shocks in the rear those bushings could be toast too.

Just for fun...check the rear seat belt buckle. Mine was flopping around when one of my passengers twisted the belt and it didn't fully retract. Drove me nuts for a week.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
On my end, it sounded like you were implying the Sebring was a Honda. No harm, no foul. Cheers! Happy New Years
smile.gif

Ah, I could see how it could be read that way! Sorry!

OP, if you can get a pry bar and get under the car, might be able to check things out. I know in my experience, those stabilizer links can still feel solid when tensioned by the sway bar, but once you take it out, you can tell that it was loose.

If you're in there, it might be worth swapping out the sway bar bushings too.

Be mindful that Sebrings of that vintage had cast aluminum rear upper strut mounts that disintegrated to dust from salt exposure in the rust belt. Replacement mounts have better metallurgy.
25d18d94-c910-102b-9ed2-e69f6a37d27b.jpg

First, check spare tire well. Often, the lug wrench is under the spare tire, held down by the bolt and wingnut. If it gets loose, the rattle can be very loud and hard to pinpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back