Subaru oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Spring I'm looking into buying a Subaru Forester with the 2.0 liter turbo or the Legacy with the 3.6.I believe both engines require a 5W30 synthetic oil.My question is can any 5W30 synthetic oil be used?Is there a certain Subaru oil specification for their engines?Thanks Joe

When you buy your Subaru, your owners manual(OM) will tell you if there is a certain spec that Subaru requires. But I'm thinking that any synthetic 5W30(or 0W30) will perform just fine!

The owner's manual for my Legacy 3.6 is conflicting. In one part is says that the engine is designed to use 5w-30 conventional motor oil, but then it goes on to say that if conventional engine oil is used for replenishment it must be changed to 5w-30 synthetic at the next oil change. As for the specs, they only required that the oil is API SM or SN approved, and labeled as energy (or resource) conserving.

rest assured there are hundreds of thousands of subarus out there where only a minute amount of people worry themselves about viscosity.

I guess it takes a few minutes to search for oil specs on Subaru and find something like this: http://www.subaruofkeene.com/synthetic-oil.htm

Perhaps a better way is just to go to some Subaru forum and see the "oil thread" there. Usually every automotive forum have this topic flaming in discussions
smile.gif

What is the year of the Subaru you want to buy and exact engine code?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
rest assured there are hundreds of thousands of subarus out there where only a minute amount of people worry themselves about viscosity.

They all probably get whatever-is-cheap at a quicklube, too

For the H6 any oil will do.

For the Forester turbo I would use a quality, thicker syn 30 weight.

I don't think Subaru has any special specs or requirements for their oil. My wife's Crosstrek has the 2.0 NA engine and it just calls for 0w-20 synthetic. The only requirement they list is API SN.

My wife's 2012 Legacy 4cylinder specs Conventional oil-5/30. When Subaru started branding their own Synthetic oil, they now recommend synthetic.

I am using what is spec'ed in the owners manual.

I happen to have my 2014 Subaru owner's manual open now (Forester). Page 12.6, 2.0 Turbo, states:

"5W-30 synthetic oil is required for optimal engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.

*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed but should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change."

Second paragraph seems contradictory or maybe it supposed to just address a heavier oil (5W40)? Or perhaps there is a grammatical problem with the second paragraph. Maybe it should read "If replenishment is needed and 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used but should be replaced with 5W-30 synthetic at next oil change?" Who knows. Maybe the Science==>Engineering==>Language==>Japanese==>English translations aren't working well here. Whatever.

Anyway, the important part that's also on this page follows:

"OIL GRADE"

API Classification SM or SN with the words "ENERGY CONSERVING" OR "RESOURCE CONSERVING"

OR

ILSAC GF-4 OR GF-5, which can be identified with the ILSAC certification mark (Starburst mark).
" and has an image similar to the below for reference.

The Forester has the 2.5L as standard so I do not know what the other engine you ref needs for lube. But if its the same as the 2.5, its 0W-20 Synthetic with the same verbiage as the above.

API-Logo.jpg

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
I guess it takes a few minutes to search for oil specs on Subaru and find something like this: http://www.subaruofkeene.com/synthetic-oil.htm

Perhaps a better way is just to go to some Subaru forum and see the "oil thread" there. Usually every automotive forum have this topic flaming in discussions
smile.gif

What is the year of the Subaru you want to buy and exact engine code?

The link you give is wrong. They are trying to sell you on the the lie that synthetics are mandatory (they are not, but its a good idea to use) and that Subaru synthetics are a must use.

Best place to look is the Owners Manual. Which I retyped for this guy while on hold waiting for my Subary DSM to pick up the phone. But the owner's manual can be accessed here which has lube requirements.

http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/search.html

So you can use syn or dino in 30 or 40 weight. Lots options! I would use RT6 in the turbo myself.

BBDartCA,

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA

I'd only use syn with a turbo unless if was Chevron ESI which is not approved under warranty anyway.

I don't know if the price differences are huge in US, in Europe the difference between synthetics and semi-synthetics (I guess it is called "synthetic blend" in US) is quite small in terms of money.

For example, 7 $ for semi-synthetics and 9 $ for synthetic per liter. I wonder what is the price difference in US and if it is worth to buy conventional oil these days and use it in engines which cost thousands of dollars to replace.

Last edited:

[...]

The link you give is wrong. They are trying to sell you on the the lie that synthetics are mandatory (they are not, but its a good idea to use) and that Subaru synthetics are a must use.

Best place to look is the Owners Manual. Which I retyped for this guy while on hold waiting for my Subary DSM to pick up the phone. But the owner's manual can be accessed here which has lube requirements.

http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/search.html

Yep, I think the link was a bad example. My bad.

Europe and motor oil is redic. I've seen Castrol VW spec syn for equiv of US$35/litre before in Austria. Cheaper now that dollar is strong, but [censored] expensive.

BBDartCA,

I've seen Castrol VW spec syn for equiv of US$35/litre before in Austria.

Well, in that case one may stick with US based oils such as Mobile 1 or Valvoline.

I happen to have my 2014 Subaru owner's manual open now (Forester). Page 12.6, 2.0 Turbo, states:

"5W-30 synthetic oil is required for optimal engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.

*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed but should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change."

Second paragraph seems contradictory or maybe it supposed to just address a heavier oil (5W40)? Or perhaps there is a grammatical problem with the second paragraph. Maybe it should read "If replenishment is needed and 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used but should be replaced with 5W-30 synthetic at next oil change?" Who knows. Maybe the Science==>Engineering==>Language==>Japanese==>English translations aren't working well here. Whatever.

Anyway, the important part that's also on this page follows:

"OIL GRADE"

API Classification SM or SN with the words "ENERGY CONSERVING" OR "RESOURCE CONSERVING"

OR

ILSAC GF-4 OR GF-5, which can be identified with the ILSAC certification mark (Starburst mark).
" and has an image similar to the below for reference.

The Forester has the 2.5L as standard so I do not know what the other engine you ref needs for lube. But if its the same as the 2.5, its 0W-20 Synthetic with the same verbiage as the above.

API-Logo.jpg

Who makes 5W-40 conventional oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back